Reply To: Villanova – Game 1

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Villanova – Game 1 Reply To: Villanova – Game 1

LU65
Participant

I expect Villanova to pressure on the ball relentlessly and test KR the moment he touches the rock. It’s a tactic, i.e., ¾ trap, they employed a week ago in their last exhibition game against Nyack. The Result: 21-2 points of turnover edge in favor of the Wildcats with Nyack coughing it up 13 times in the first 20 minutes. Such numbers bring to mind our matchup with VCU some 22 months ago when we gift-wrapped 19 points for the Rams while turning the ball over 22 times. Last year (2013-’14 season), the Wildcats ranked 60th in the nation at doing the same, i.e., forcing turnovers. How well we withstand the expected onslaught will go a long ways in determining our ability to keep this one close – say a single digit loss or dare I say a hard fought win. Welcome Kahron to D-1 basketball. If KR struggles early on, don’t be surprised if you see CS (career A/TO number of 2.21) take over PG duties – even if for a minute or two – in what will be the Captain’s 97th game at Lehigh.

Equally concerning – besides our height disadvantages, the teams’ comparative strengths of schedules, our overall talent levels, and the homecoming (Bethlehem) turnout expected for the Wildcat’s 6’6” senior Guard, Durran Hilliard, would be our ability to rebound the ball whether on “O” or “D.” Last season, we ended the year ranked 317th on the offensive board and 234th on the defensive end. Villanova excelled – particularly on “D” – last year coming in 52nd best in the nation. Oh yeah, Villanova’s junior forward, 6’11” / 245 lb. Daniel Ochefu pulled down 20 boards in that Nyack game. Ochefu and front court mate, Jay Pinston, led the team in rebounds last year while Ochefu stood alone as their top shot-blocker with 52 rejections on the season. Like Kahron, Mr. Kempton should have his hands full tomorrow night.

Basketball is back!!!!