Reply To: Yale

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Yale Reply To: Yale

sundayamqb
sundayamqb
Participant

Barring some surprises next week, Gate should eat up our D, and we likely won’t have Jones and (at least in first half) Johnson. We gave up 35 and 363 yards to a shaky O. Colgate’s O will be among best we face — 399 yards in air this week.

I feel awful for Jones — he looked really banged up — and Johnson, who was ejected. Their head-first tackling efforts were among several costly mistakes on D. Special teams showed lots of holes, too — from poor coverage to the block-in-the back penalty on Butler.

I must single out freshman DB Marquis Wilson. He sprinted to cover a kickoff and got blocked, I think near the YC 10. The Yale returner made it close to midfield before getting caught by Wilson, who got off the block and sprinted about 40 yards back to catch the return man.

And after seeing Harvey play today — almost two INTs, a TFL and sack — I have to wonder why he played to sparingly his first three years.

The good news is Mayes and the receivers were on fire (duh!). None of us have ever seen this stuff from of our legendary QBs. Our dinged up O line had some challenges; we averaged only 2.8 yards per carry.

This team definitely has the ability to win out — and make a decent playoff run — barring mistakes at the wrong time. But we’re all human and mistakes happen. Hopefully their discipline and fitness will shine through next week.

I love that Gate has to prepare for two completely different QBs. Great move today by the coaching staff letting Mayes get a crack against a weaker OOC team and giving Shaf a week to recover.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by sundayamqb sundayamqb.