First the positives
1. Attendance: 3279 today. See PL Season stats far below.
2. Mackey – While going 4 for 11 is nothing special, there’s no quit in this guy. Skied for 4 boards and dished out 6 assists with 0 turnovers. Are we looking at next year’s PL Player of the Year? Understand he spoke to players after the game and did what he could to refocus and energize the team. Good sign.
3. BJ – Solid throughout scoring 12 on 5 for 10 shooting. Although, knowing him, he’ll bring up his 3 TOs.
Now the negatives
1. Energy/Passion – none. Dead men walking. Where was the party last night?
2. Rebounding – we were out-rebounded by the worse rebounding team in the league 34-39. Leopards had averaged 30.3/game. They got 39 this afternoon. Somehow, everyone who played for Lehigh, except CB with one minute of court time, got a rebound. Hinrichs with 11 out-rebounded both Gabe and Holden together.
3. Poor shooting – 8 for 32 in the first half (25%) and lucky to be down by only 8 at the half. Came out flat in 2nd half. How, after laying an egg in the first twenty minutes, is that possible? Could never close the gap on mediocre 13 for 30 shooting. Hesitant (Gabe often) and aimless play by nearly everyone. Had to wonder at times if the players forgot the play that had been called. Sorry, but 21 made FGs in 40 minutes! Ya see more in rec games. Painful to watch. Hope the 400+ students who spent their $5 will be back. High ball screens that came up empty all afternoon. Leopards had us well scouted and defended well. Sorry Staggers and Goodman didn’t get a chance to play. Plenty of opportunity.
4. The deadly 3. We got a taste of our own medicine. Lafayette poured in 10 three-pointers – many while we scrambled to get defend. Every time – and I mean every time – we got a 2, they piled-on with a 3 in the second half.
6. Was it two or three “backdoor” cuts for baskets we gave up? Maybe it was four.
7. AD – Went 1 for 5 and now 1 for 11 in his last two games (combined 38 minutes). Trouble finding his man yet somehow ended up has high-rebounder with 5. More by chance than design.
8. HG – O for 8 in first half and 1 board. Did pick it up (3 for 6) in second half but certainly not himself.
9. Lafayette took us out of “our” game of up-tempo play. They built a double-digit lead and bleed the clock. We loss three key battle we normally win: one, thefts (LC 6 steals to our 4), two, fast break points (LC 10 to our 5), and three, getting points off turnovers (LC 10 to our 6).
10. With the loss, we fall back into a tie with Bucknell. Remember, however, BU beat Lafayette in their first encounter. Today’s loss could be costly.
On to Navy where a win is a must.
More Attendance Info
Season / # Games / Overall / PG Avg. / Our PL Record
2012-13 / 8 / 12,607 / 1,576 / 7-2 (at least 5 more)
2011-12 / 13 / 17,320 / 1,332 / 11-3 (PL Champs)
2010-11 / 14 / 13,029 / 931 / 6-8
Average Home Attendance thru games played on Sunday, January 27th:
Holy Cross 1,849