12-13 schedule

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball 12-13 schedule

This topic contains 79 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  norcalfan 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

IF, and I stress it’s a BIG IF, we were indeed promised a game against Pitt in the Pitt Pod, it would be in our initial game out in the Steel City. How else could it be in a single elim event? As for our seed, it would have depended upon where Pitt was seeded among the four hosts teams – each ranked 1 thru 4. For example, if Pitt were #3, we would have come into the event ranked 14th. To get a better feel for the process, I give you an article dealing with Wake Forest in the 2010 Preseason NIT.

Preseason NIT bracket set … Deacons no shoo-in for New York

LU65
    Participant

IF, and I stress it’s a BIG IF, we are indeed promised a game against Pitt in the Pitt Pod, it would be in our initial game out in the Steel City. How else could it be in a single elim event? As for our seed, it would depend upon where Pitt was seeded among the four hosts teams – each ranked 1 thru 4. For example, if Pitt were #3, we would be a 14 seed. To get a better feel for the process, I give you an article dealing with Wake Forest chances in the 2010 Preseason NIT.

Preseason NIT bracket set … Deacons no shoo-in for New York

LUHoops00
    Participant

Agreed, IF we were guaranteed a game vs pitt it would be logical that it would have to be game one in order to guarantee it. The article on WF however has me more confused. By way of 16 team field, where you seed out top 4 hosts, how heck could wake as the #3 play the #5 vcu? This leads me to believe that they just fill each pod up with some logical local teams for travel pusposes. I’d find it hard to believe that we were the 14th seed in this 16 team field with nucleus we have coming back and the huge 7 footer that reed has coming in next year(kidding)!

LU65
    Participant

Wake Forest a 3 seed did end up playing VCU a 5 seed in the second round. VCU won that game and advance to MSG in 2010.

My comment about us being a 14 seed vs Pitt a “3” was just an example.

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/ncaa/release/sites/default/files/files/2010-tip-off-bracket.pdf

LU65
    Participant

Comparing the 2011 Preseason NIT Bracket below to the one posted for 2010 (see prior post), it’s clear that the NIT seats the first 8 and then places the remainder based on geographic convenience.

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/files/2011seasontipoffbracket.pdf

TMH
    Participant

As far as I know, there has been no guarantee of a game with Pitt, only the distinct possibility as they will be in the same pod. From everything I heard, the 4 host teams are seeded and the 4 teams within each pod are also seeded. I believe the 4 host teams are the top seed in each pod. Based solely on last year’s results, that would make it Pitt #1, Lehigh #2, Robert Morris #3 and Delaware (if my memory is correct #4. Lehigh would then play Robert Morris in the 1st round and a win there is certainly not a given since they were finished last season as #113 on Sagarin and will be playing a pseudo home game. They lose virtually no one from last year’s 21 win season. IMHO, before we can get giddy about competing with the Pitts of the world, we need to prove ourselves against teams like Robert Morris.

LU65
    Participant

While there is no way of knowing how this year’s Preseason NIT will be managed – or if either Pitt or Lehigh will be named as a participant (acknowledging TMH’s comment) – here are some excerpts from the 2011 Dick’s Sporting Goods NIT Season Tip-Off Team Manual that addressed, one year ago, the matter of team selection and format of play.

Team Selection Process

At the time of invitation, the following selection criteria were in effect to determine the teams to participate in the NIT Season Tip-Off:

Returning letterman
    New players
    Strength of schedule
    Polls
    Compliance with NCAA bylaws

Playing Rules and Format of the Tournament

The official NCAA Basketball Rules for the year shall govern all Tournament play. The parties agree that the NIT shall have sole authority to determine the pairings of all Tournament participants for each round as well as the sites for all Tournament contests. Each Institution shall be scheduled to play four (4) games. At each site, the two winners from each of the first round games shall play one another with the winner of that second round game advancing to the semi-finals for further competition in the Tournament. The three teams at each site that do not advance to the semi-finals will participate in third and fourth round games. These games will be played on the home campus sites of the three highest remaining seeds. Participating teams will not play any team twice and third and fourth rounds will be assigned to the most geographically compatible site possible.

Hey, it’s a rainy day and what else is there to talk about?!

LUHoops00
    Participant

Nothing like a quiet offseason to research these things, but yes, good work team…it appears we’ll be 2 seed in the Pitt Pod, and Robert Morris will be a really good test out of the gate as mentioned above. Got to hope that both us and Pitt win so we get good early season road game test.

LUHoops00
    Participant

LU65
    Participant

Good articles re: Scheduling by 2 ESPN Contributors, Andy Katz and Myron Medcalf

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7982706/the-art-nonconference-scheduling-men-college-basketball

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7982404/the-philosophy-nonconference-scheduling-complicated

A trip around the internet will show a number of teams out trolling for games – typically home/home – as late as this past week. Schools include: NC State, South Florida, Marshall, Wagner, Ohio U, Old Dominion, USAF Academy, Miami-Florida, and Drexel.

Can’t help but wonder what success Coach Reed and Company is having in piecing together our OOC schedule for 2012-13. It can’t be easy. May the basketball gods award us, please, a preseason tourney featuring a top 25 team followed by 3 money games, and a home slate that bears no resemblance to: Quinnipiac, SFU, Arcadia and UMES. We deserve better.

norcalfan
    Participant

LU is on the map. Wishing the next class much success. 2012 was sick!!

LUHoops00
    Participant

So I was just on Twitter and came across the following:

Malique Killing ‏@_M5K_
    Lehigh on the Schedule next year officially. Im right At CJ McCollum, or imma try at least lol

So, immediately I ask myself the following question: Who the *($@ is Malique Killing? What team does he play for? I rush to google, whatever rushing from one web site to another means, and google him….my mind is rushing at the endless possibilities of a big time program hosting our solid mid-major team, potentially our best ever in history of the program, with a legit 1st round pick in his senior year….coming off a season that builds up a program and has given it a ton of momentum heading into next year…so my mind is racing, heart beat pulsing a bit faster at the possibility at some LU Hoop news in June, goose bumps emerge at the excitement/opportunity to continue to piece together our 12-13 schedule….AND…WAIT FOR IT….WAIT FOR IT…WAIT FOR IT….

Muhlenberg….now I’m not the best internet savvy researcher, but it appears he plays for the D3 Muhlenberg Hoops team…

I’m not even going to b**ch and complain about this until I know it is fact, but if true I’ll b**ch about this more then I do our inability to get a big in here for next year…….but I’ll shut up and eat my comments until this is proven true…

LUHoops00

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I’ll take Hoops advice and not throw a fit until this is confirmed, but this is pretty dissappointing to me if true.

Even during the build up in Hoops post, I thought the worst case was NEC or MEAC.

TMH
    Participant

IMHO, Even if true this is a bit of an overreaction. Muhlenburg would represent 1 game in a 16/17 game OOC schedule. I’m sure there has been similar groans from Duke fans in the past when they were kind enough to put us on their schedule. I even heard the reverse argument on the football board when they wanted to know why we can’t schedule Penn State or Pitt. It gives the team a break from constant pressure cookers, allows guys lower on the bench to see meaningful minutes and gives Muhlenburg something to look forward to.
    Secondly, people don’t quite understand how difficult it is to put a schedule together. First, you need to find teams that are willing to play us. I’ve been told by several sources now that it is much harder this year in particular. Then the dates have to match and there must be the right balance of home and away games. For a number of reasons, virtually no quality opponent wants to play us here. Our 3 biggest road opponents last year were St. John’s, Iowa State and Michigan State. In all 3, we had a real chance to win. Imagine for a moment if those games were played at Stabler. I’m sure opposing ADs are.
    Thirdly, how do you convince a team to risk a loss for a gate of 2,000-3,000 fans?

We found ourselves a quality pre-season tournament. I’m fairly certain that we will play at least 2, possibly 3 real quality road opponents but don’t be surprised or disappointed if the home portion of the OOC schedule is not sprinkled with big name schools. Let’s wait until the entire schedule is put together to assess the damage.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

One difference there is that FBS teams can count a victory over FCS teams toward the 6 win minimum for bowl eligibility. Playing a D3 school in basketball is not taken into account when compiling RPI and other computer rating systems. So the game is essentially a scrimmage, unless we lose in which case people will notice.

And, to the point of a “balanced” schedule of home and away games, that is the least of our worries, as last year LU only played 4 OOC home games including a D3 while playing 12 road games.

Also, I think some of us fully understand how difficult it is to put together an OOC schedule. I never expect to see a BCS team come to Stabler, and I’m fine with that. It would be great if it happened, but I know that chances are beyond slim. That said, I do take for granted the three or so garauntee BCS road games that LU plays a year. I get frustrated when fans tout the great match-ups as excellent scheduling, when in reality 95% of mid and low major schools do the exact same thing. I see the value, and love to watch those games – but I don’t think they are a reflection of putting together a good schedule as much as the world of college basketball and athletic department budgeting in 2012.

All I have ever advocated for scheduling wise – and maybe this is impossible for reasons that I don’t “understand”, is to get the occassional home game against a schools outside of the MEAC and NEC. I’m not asking for Big East or ACC teams, I’m asking for Boston University, U of Del, Vermont, Hofstra, or William and Mary. And I’m not even saying to never play NEC or MEAC schools, because I understand the role they fill in scheduling. I’m just asking for a little diversity, even if it means taking an extra garauntee game on the road, in order to spend that $500,000 to pay someone to come to Stabler.

I know that Bucknell has much better facilities and fan support than LU, but they are also a scary low major that no one wants to play. Yet they get Richmond, George Mason, LaSalle, BU, and others to visit Sojka. If they can get multiple game like that year after year, I find it hard to believe that LU can’t get one or two. Although, maybe I’m wrong.

To me, playing Muhlenburg adds little to no value to the schedule even if it is only one of 16 or 17 OOC games. If Dr. Reed wants to get some bench guys minutes, then schedule a closed door scrimmage against Muhlenburg or DeSales over t-giving or x-mas break when teams are on campus with nothing but time to kill.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.