13-14 Basketball Roster Posted

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball 13-14 Basketball Roster Posted

This topic contains 26 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I agree that college basketball is a guard dominated sport. However, watching Baylor absolutely toy with our frontcourt last year wasn’t fun. They could have had a middle school backcourt and still won that game.

Another wildcard on line-up choices that I wouldn’t rule out is Whitfield or Chuku getting some minutes at the 3. We haven’t seen either play in college, but on video they both look pretty confident handling the ball. I don’t think it will be either of their primary positions, but I do see Whitfield especially growing into a Grenier type role.

It seems we all agree that MM, AD, and JC are likely to start. It’s just who you plug in as the other guard and big that opinions differ.

pafan11
    Participant

I didn’t see that game and I am sure you are right. How realistic (I am PL novice) is it,even with three bigs, that Lehigh can consistently compete with major program frontcourts. Everything I have seen and heard of SW and JC is that they are athletic enough to play 3 but you are right not their primary position.

lehigh90
    Participant

I think TK is going to be the same situation as Gabe. 4 year starter from Day 1, with 120 starts over 4 seasons. He may not be ready, but I think he is your starter in the middle. Great size, some developed offensive game, good pedigree. He should also be able to alter a lot of shots at 6’10”. He is going to be pretty slight as a freshman, so you are going to have to pair him with some beef at the 4. I think that will be “The Body” Chuku, but could be JG. I just think you need a little more scoring ability than JG brings. To me, JG is your energy big off the bench. First big off the bench. CB struggles for minutes. He knows system the best at this point, but he is liability on offense. If AD starts on a team with 3 thousand point scorers, he definitely starts on this team. I just hope he doesn’t try to do too much with the ball in his hands.

toddcudd
    Participant

@pafan – i should clarify. when i say 3 bigs, i mean 3 bigs in a PL context. So i’m talking about a SF in the 6’5″-6’7″ range, athletic, who can score in the paint – and most importantly – rebound! We played a lot of small, 3-guard sets last year and got mauled on the glass, game-in, game-out. I’m talking right around 2-1 on the offensive boards most nights. I just don’t see how you can be successful giving up that many 2nd chances.
    To me, HG was the ideal PL 3. Capable of scoring in the paint, helping on inside D, but also a capable jump-shooter. Unfortunately, we didn’t often have a 4 and 5 on the floor with him, so he was a de facto 4. I’m hopeful that SW can develop into that kind of 3 – looks like he has the right skill-set, to me. And if 90 is right, and TK is a day 1 starter, I’m all the more encouraged.

pafan11
    Participant

toddcudd, In that case I agree. If you have the 6’5 to 6’7 kid that can handle, play d and shoot. I think SW may very well be that guy. In terms of rebounding if you have 6’10 TK, 6’8 JC, and 6’7 SW on the floor you should be able to rebound with anyone in the PL. I guess the exciting part is that LU has possibilities of going big or small with capable players if projections work out. I am excited to see what happens. One thing I can promise, as someone who watches, coached, and played college athletics, is that by mid December we will be talking about someone unexpected and their impact. With this years team there may be multiple someones!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by  pafan11.
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I think every one of our “big men” will see the floor if for no other reason than foul trouble. JG fouled every 5.5 minutes last year (and it felt like even more), and CB fouled every 6.2. Kempton and Chuku playing their first year at the college level will also probably need some time to adjust to playing defense and the officiating.

By comparison Gabe fouled once every 11 minutes and Holden once every 17.5. Granted Gabe and Holden were not the most physical guys and were probably instructed explicitly to stay out of foul trouble. It still shows you how much JG and CB struggled with it. If JG wants to stay on the floor at all this year, he needs to figure out how not to foul.

pafan11
    Participant

Great point about adjusting to the officiating at the college level. Many of these kids coming off the AAU circuit have no idea what a foul is as these games are typically very liberal and poorly officiated.

LUHoops00
    Participant

SW appears athletic enough at 6’6 to play a 3 in our system and be on floor with two bigs up front, in what would be one if biggest lineups we have had if a TK and JC are up with him or a JG. Fun part is this year is flexibility up front if JC TK are ready from day one and if SW gets rolling we got lot of options.

lehigh90
    Participant

I would hope that SW could lock down the 3, but I don’t see that happening for the first game. Rare to be a freshman starter under Reed, who probably believes most aren’t ready on the defensive end. Plus the guy was limited last year due to a serious injury. As noted, CJM and HG did not start right away, although GK did. I think Kempton starts simply because he is the only true 5 on the roster. Plus, it looks like he has ability. He is not just a 6’10” stiff (at least I hope not). JG is really a 4, although he can back up at the 5. If Reed is unhappy with the defensive prowess of the incoming freshmen, then you won’t see them in big minutes early. Defense is what limited AD early in his career, and continues to limit SC. On the other hand, if guys like AP and MS can really defend, you will see them early on, as early guys off the bench. It is difficult to defend the perimeter for the younger players, dealing with stopping the 3 ball and dribble penetration, and defending the high pick and roll that most teams run.

I think the biggest question early in the season is who is going to score the ball? There is only one proven scorer on the roster and that is MM. For that reason, I think Reed will be forced to get MM a lot more looks from the 2 spot, which will require a 1 on the floor with MM. So, I think early on, and maybe all season, you are going to see a lot of CS at the 1 with MM at the 2. If the freshmen step up then that won’t be required, but early on, I think it will.

LU65
    Participant

I’ll go with LU90’s lineup (MM, CS, AD, JC, and TK) with one slight variation. That is, I wouldn’t be surprised to see CS at the point and MM play the 2. It was tested a number of times late in the season last year and it worked just fine, thank you. To pafan11’s point about “CS’s ability to handle the ball forces him into the starting lineup”….might I suggest it’s also about his ability to outright shoot the ball. To wit: 45.5% FG and 39.6% 3-FG. Those numbers are top among our returning guard corp of MM, AD, SC, and CS. Sorry DC I discounted your 1-1 three-point effort based on your limited season-long playing time of 26 minutes. Throw in the fact that CS’s A/TO ratio last year of 2.77 not only beat but dwarfted Mackey’s 1.65 and I see no reason why the unflappable junior from Iowa doesn’t start up top come the second weekend in November.

I’m hoping TK becomes a 4-year starter and thinking JC, after a year of work behind the scenes, will be ready to not only start but contribute in a big way from Day One. Hey, I can dream can’t I?

toddcudd
    Participant

Looking back over boxes from late last season, there’s little doubt that we’ll start 3 guards. I think we’re all in agreement that 2 of those will be MM and AD.
    Given that we don’t have a proven scorer on the front line, I think the 3rd guard needs to score. If the consensus here is that CS is the best hope there, so be it. I’ll bite my tongue and hope otherwise.
    Big question remains, to me, who is gonna score up front. We’ll see, I s’pose. I’ll also continue to hold my breath and hope that JG and JC can start at 4 and 3, with TK at 5 – man, that would be fun, to me. Problem there is that CB and SW have to be able to to cover foul trouble minutes then…

toddcudd
    Participant

Yes, I’m gonna necro this old thread. Props to lehigh90 for most closely nailing the lineup for last year. The injury to AD screwed up everybody’s predictions, but 90 had the clearest vision on the reality. He also spoke truth on the “unexpected” by December – clearly TK was 100% positive surprise. I have to believe he met our very best, wildest hopes.
    Generally speaking, despite our VERY limited visibility, I think we actually had a pretty good handle on what to expect. 65 was also on the mark with TK’s immediate impact.
    But we were probably a bit overly optimistic in expecting (hoping?) to compete for a PL championship. Maybe we’re in a better position for that this year; I’d like to think so.
    Funniest part to me, in rereading this, is that I’m arguing for the same frontcourt this year as I was last year!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.