2012-2013 Roster

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball 2012-2013 Roster

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lehigh90
    Participant

The new roster is listed on their website for the upcoming season.  14 players, with what looks to be 2 returning walk-ons (Goodman, Staggers), and 12 scholarships (3 seniors, 3 juniors, 3 sophs, and 3 frosh).  No sign yet, of a walking on of Eli Lubick, if there was anything to that rumor from the summer.  I see nothing out there about a landing spot for him (D3 or otherwise).

Of note for the upcoming season, BJ Bailey will dump the jersey #32, to wear the #10 from recently graduated Jordan Hamilton.  Devon Carter will wear #4, from the graduated John Adams.  And, Jesse Chuku will wear #31, from the graduated Justin Manieri.  Justin Goldsborough will wear #40, which was worn last season by Conroy Baltimore.  He is moving to #44 for his sophomore season, (hopefully because he bulked up over the summer).  It notes that JG averaged 15.6 ppg and 13 rpg last season in high school.  JC and JG listed officially at 6’8″ with DC at 6’3″.  DC noted to have graduated 3rd in his high school class with a 4.0 GPA.  Nothing on the schedule yet.

lehigh90
    Participant

Speaking about the number 32 that BJ Bailey looks to have given up.  Could this be a sign that Lehigh is going to retire the #32 worn by Bob Krizansky during his playing days?  I think he is the 3rd or 4th leading scorer in school history.  Might be a nice touch to retire the #32 of Krizansky and the #33 of Dozie Mbonu, also a top 5 scorer in school history.  You know that the #3 will never be worn once CJ plays his last game, certainly joining the #12 of Queenan and the #24 of Polaha in the rafters.

TMH
    Participant

A few more observations. Holden Greiner is now 6-8 and Stefan Cvrkalj is 6-5. I saw Holden and Gabe at the women’s soccer game and the growth appears right. They looked virtually the same height. We may be bigger this year than last.

I saw Devon Carter at the freshmen sendoff and the first words I found to describe is focused and intense. I mean this in a good way. I project big things from him over the next 4 years.

Bob Krizansky and Dozie Mbonu both had very nice careers at Lehigh but personally I reserve number retirement is something reserved for the very, very special. Bob and Dozie are #4 and #5 among Lehigh scorers but #6, #7 and #8 are right behind them. CJ will likely be heading to the NBA, Polaha made it to the final cut with the Pacers before pulling a stomach muscle and Darren was unquestionably the best player in Lehigh history until CJ and even now it may be a tossup.

Last point or question…Reed has 4 scholarships available this year and as of yet none signed (but it’s early). Since unlike other colleges, Lehigh (and probably all PL schools) tend to honor these scholarships as 4 year commitments, how low on the grading scale should Brett go for the 4th scholarship before saving it for next year when 3 more will be leaving? Just a thought.

lehigh90
    Participant

I could go either way on Krizansky and Mbonu.  They were both great players, but by no means dominant.  They accumulated nice stats over their 4 seasons, but both ended up at just over 15 ppg for their careers.  I liked Krizansky’s all around game (he could do a little bit of everything) and what a hustler.  He was a 3 time first team all-conference in ECC then PL.  Dozie made a couple seconds and a first.  At 2,000 points, I think you have to retire the jerseys.  Krizansky about 150 points shy and Dozie just over 200 shy.  For playing together, and being top 5 all-time scorers they never had that defining post season run, where they were the guys.  On the flip side, we all agree that Gabe will go down with a very nice career at Lehigh.  He will score probably 500 points less than those 2 guys did.  On the negative side, I would never consider retiring Olivero’s jersey, and he scored only slightly less over his career than those 2 did (under 100 points), with that hideously ugly jump shot.  Only 2 retired numbers over roughly 100 seasons seems like too few, but you will get a third next year with CJ.  You realize how bad Lehigh was in hoops for the better part of 100 years, more on that later.

Another couple of notes on the upcoming season.  Reed should become the all-time winningest coach in schoool history with 19 wins.  And, he will do it very quickly (7 seasons)?  And last one.  We mostly agree that scheduling the Mules of Muhlenberg is not a great move, but the teams have met 110 times between the first meeting in 1901-02 and their last meeting in 2005-2006 season.  Overall, Lehigh holds the edge at 58-52.  How sad is that?

TMH
    Participant

During my senior year, 1974-75, we were 1-23 under Tom Pugliese. If I remember it correctly, that 1 win was against Gettysburg. Gettysburg beats Bucknell that year. Bucknell beat Penn. Penn beat Notre Dame who beat UCLA. I tried to argue that Lehigh should have been crowned National Champions but it fell on deaf ears. Go figure.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.