2013 Recruiting Targets Part 2

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball 2013 Recruiting Targets Part 2

This topic contains 95 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  LUHoops00 11 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

He is not a banger, low post guy at all.  He is more content to shoot from the wing or 3 point range.  I did not see him post up or finish on the blocks at all in any of the videos I saw.  He is athletic, can run the flooor, can block a shot, can rebound a bit, but not an inside presence at all. 

I’ll admit that it appears Owona’s height is exagerrated, but I too have scoured the web for clips of him and have not seen him fire up a single jumper.  The two best clips of him I have found are very short and linked below. And I think he looks quite big for a hs jr at that point.  Much more solid than Jesse or Justin.  And again I am not pronouncing him the savior at all, but I do think that he looks to bring a different dimension than the other guys we have been bringing in.  But agree to disagree.

LUHoops00
    Participant

I just want to copy/paste sbum reply and use it as my own. PERFECTLY said, totaly agree, you said it eloquently. We;re on the same page sbum.

lehigh90
    Participant

Guys, those are 10 second follow up offensive rebounds (single plays).  Look at this video, it gives you more of an in depth look at Owona.  Pay attention to where he plays in their offensive sets.  It is never on the low block, and I don’t see one play where he catches and/or finishes on the block.  Jumper, jumper, 3, jumper, etc.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/michael-owona

He plays like a small forward.  He is athletic and can put it on the floor, and can block shots.  The video is a bit confusing in that he is #25, but not sure he is wearing #25 in all of the clips.

lehigh90
    Participant

I should add in Owona’s defense that this video is over a year old, so maybe he has progressed from here.  There is another interesting tidbit on Owona from reading about him.  He is the oldest of 3 brothers and his two brothers play on the same high school team, one the same year (twin) and the other the next year younger.  Alll play for Nike Baltimore Elite.  Their high school team won the Baltimore Catholic League.  I think senior,senior, junior this season.  They all play in the frontcourt.  Don’t know of the 3 who projects the highest, but maybe this could become a 2-1 or 3-1 deal.

lehigh90
    Participant

OK, got a little more on the Owona brothers.  All are recent immigrants from Cameroon, and late to basketball. 

Michael (senior) 6’9″ center

Christian (senior) 6’7″ forward

Lionel (junior) 6’8″ junior

Michael was a pretty light scorer last season, mostly defensive presence, shotblocker and rebounder.  Not the mostly highly regarded on his high school team.  He is sounding like a project.  Now not even sure that the video I posted earlier is actually Michael Owona.  I have rewatched it, and trying to piece it all together with game reports, and doesn’t appear to be the same guy.  Unknown.  With 3 Owonas, it certainly adds to the confusion.

Haven’t been able to get any info on the recruiting of Christian and Lionel, although from reading game reports, it looks like Lionel, the junior, may be the best all around player.

If Bucknell is out of the way, Michael holds reported offers from Lehigh, UMBC, LIU-Brooklyn and Fairfield.

Anybody in Baltimore area on here?  If so, get out to a John Carroll game and give us a report.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I do not think that is Michael Owona in the VerbalCommits clip, which is why I highlighted the two ten second clips as the best we have on him.  Also these two blurbs from a Baltimree Subn preview certainly make it sound as though Christian is the highest regarded of the three.  Both cite him as the leader and make his brothers sound as though they are in secondary roles.

The Patriots have plenty of strengths, and the biggest may be their big and athletic frontcourt. Leading the way is 6-foot-9 senior Mike Owona, who can change a game at either end of the floor, and help comes from his two brothers — 6-8 junior Lionel and 6-7 senior Christian.

** Carrington also mentioned Taysean Scott, a point guard from McDonogh, and big men Christian and Mike Owona as DI prospects who played for NBE. Mike Owona has “significant mid-major interest,” according to John Carroll coach Tony Martin.

lehigh90
    Participant

Owona’s team, John Carroll, is off to a 5-1 start, and were #4 preseason in Baltimore area.  The game reports for each game are on the John Carroll website.  So far, in 6 games, Owona has yet to score in double digits.  I saw a high point total of 6 in a game.  He usually has more blocks than points.  I am starting to have serious concerns about this guy.  Late arrival to USA from Africa, cannot dominate in high school, other than as a shot blocker and potential rebounder, very raw offensively, this sounds like a serious long-term project.  This guy makes JG look like Patrick Ewing.  Remember JG averaged around 12-15 in high school.  This guy is lucky to be at half of that.  I would like to see a bigger guy 6’7″ or better with some developed offensive ability.  Looks like we have to hope for Kempton to be that guy coming in next season, or Chuku.

Speaking of Chuku, he is practicing with the team, correct?  Any word around Lehigh about how this guy looks?

TMH
    Participant

Does this mean that recruiting is over for this year?

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/mbball/reed_announces_incoming_class_of_2017.aspx

Is there a possibility that Dr. Reed is honoring KM’s scholarship?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Dont know. It would seem so. KM does not count to ncaa. If $ not available to Doc it is a school action. LU has in the past converted $ into non athletic aid but those situations wete need based packages. What policy is with merit aid, I know not.

LUHoops00
    Participant

I don’t think the announcement precludes DR from using another scholarship. You’d think he is sick of playing a man or two down?

I mean we’re sick of it so surely he is!

Is ironic that the 3 players coming in are almost the exact same heights/weights/positions of the big 3 senior class that will be leaving us.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

If I had to bet, I’d say we are done.  I’m not convinced we are even trying to get to the NCAA limit of 13 schollies.  We do have 4 new bodies next year including Chuku.  Although we may be losing 4 this year as well if BJ opts not to come back.  We will be at 11 next year I believe if we consider BJ a walk on or graduated. I think it is possible that we bring in our already signed 3 this year, then another 3 the following year when 2 graduate, and then we would be at the optional PL limit of 12. Next year:

Fr: Price, Kempton, Whitfield
    So: Carter, Chuku, Goldsborough
    Jr: Baltimore, Schaefer, Cvrkalj
    Sr: McKnight, D’Orazio

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Here is a new article about a PG in the class of 2013 we are apparently interested in:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-10/sports/ct-spt-0111-prep-bkb-spotlight-simelton-20130109_1_kevin-schnable-oswego-s-miles-simelton-boys-hoops

Makes me wonder if it is legit interest, or LU just inquired.  If it is legit interest that means we are either not done for 2013 or would like the player to prep.  Pretty impressive list of schools after the kid, so I’d so it is a long shot no matter how you cut it.

lehigh90
    Participant

Guys there appear to still be a couple of names still out there in 2013.  Of note, Monty Boykins tore his ACL and had surgery a couple of weeks ago.  That is why he is unsigned.  Terrible break for him, as I am sure most teams have backed off.  I see nothing on Owona and the foreign kid who was on Verbal Commits.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

The injury isn’t really why Boykins is unsigned. He had over a dozen offers in the fall but chose not to sign, most likely because he was waiting for offers from bigger schools/conferences. Not sure he’ll get those offers now, not to mention some of his previous offers are likely filled and some schools will be scared off by the injury. Tough spot for him.

In addition to Boykins, Mark Alstork is still on the table and most likely some other guys. But as 90 and Hoops mentioned who knows what the scholarship situation is (or even what our limit is) and if LU is still shopping at all.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Here is another recent article mentioning LU recruiting Jaylen Lowe a 6’1 2013 G out of Oklahoma:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=230&articleid=20130117_230_B4_OWASSO866997

And another one linking us to Javon Perry another 6’1 2013 G:

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20130116/SPORTS/301160023/Nixa-boys-plan-on-making-their-presence-felt-in-T-of-C

Three different 2013 guard names popping up with Lehigh interest in the last week plus makes me think that maybe this is for real and the staff is trying to bring in another backcourt player in this class.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.