2013 Recruiting Targets

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball 2013 Recruiting Targets

This topic contains 141 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Just got done watching some YouTube clips of Monty Boykins, Austin Price, and Devon Thomas.  All three of these guys are incredibly impressive on video.  Clearly difference makers in the PL.

We need a commitment so I can stop taunting myself by tracking all these different guys! There is a ton of talent on the list of guys we offered who are still undecided, hopefully some of them come to Bethlehem and we can see some tangible momentum building for the post Big 3 era.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Agree Sbum, ahah, totally agree! Another Senat update, was hosted by st peters yesterday. By my count he he has taken 3 o 4 visits, not sure how many have en oficial versus non-official but he is certainly visiting schools, hope we get him to campus.

Sbum – agree on price, he would be an unreal get, and I like thomas, but I would like to hear your report on Boykins. I remember watching one clip a while ago and came away unsure of his impact, so  i will go back and watch again, but what were your thoughts. he is clearly a 2 right?

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Always down to provide a scouting report.  First, here is the clip I was referring to with AAU highlights from the spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZMVk4kP10

Boykins is definitely a wing, and by no means a point guard if that is what you meant.  He does seem to have the size to defend the 3 as well as the 2, especially in the PL.  He seems like a very smooth athlete with excellent body control, even if he isn’t the most explosive guy (still has bunches of dunks in his highlight reel).  Nice smooth repeatable stroke with good balance and a picture perfect follow through.  Good handle with a little bit of shake and a nice crossover that allows him to get by people.  Excellent body control to pull up quickly or adjust his shot and finish at the rim (with either hand).  Good awareness of the defense and he does the little things like switch hands once his man is beaten so his defender can’t back tap him.  There are not a lot of clips of him rebounding or passing so those may be areas of improvement, and like many young players he could stand to add some strength. 

Obviously this is a highlight tape so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt but I think Monty would be a phenomonal get for Lehigh.  Really big time.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Tyrone Outlaw will be visiting LU this weekend per a tweet from Dave Telep:

Dave Telep ‏@DaveTelep

Tyrone Outlaw is on Lehigh’s campus this weekend.

Scout Profile: http://hsnorthcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=404&p=8&c=1&nid=5014381

Article about his visit to UNCW last week w/video: http://dubhub.blogs.starnewsonline.com/17987/hoops-m-recruits-on-campus/

LUHoops00
    Participant

Well now we are getting busy, it seems as though Price is visiting this weekend and now Outlaw! big big weekend for LU Hoops. Guessing an open gym session and the monmouth football game are on the docket. Maybe outlaw and price hit it off and want to play together, wishful thinking.

lehigh90
    Participant

It’s time to get a player or two committed.  We need to parlay the success we had on the court to the recruiting trail, or this will be a blip in the basketball history.  Fingers crossed.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Fingers, toes , eyes…. Not real familiar with pace of Bball recruiting but it seems a bit late with no commits.

TMH
    Participant

Rylan Murry                     6’8, F
    Rylan is a big forward who can play wing also. His ability to score from anywhere on the floor makes him a tough match-up. He has a scorer’s mentality who can go inside or out beyond the arc.
    Rylan plays for West Branch high in West Branch, IA and have offers from: Northern State, South Dakota, Nebraska-Omaha and Central Michigan. He is being heavily recruited by Creighton, Lehigh and Penn State.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Really good read from Telep on ESPN.com ,  list of official visits, where he had this to say about Outlaw:

Lehigh Mountain Hawks Visitor: SF Tyrone Outlaw This is one of those players equipped to make an impact for a mid-major team because of his talent and character.

LUHoops00
    Participant

LU2012
    Participant

This weekend I was on campus and saw Price and Outlaw, along with a third kid I think I was able to ID. I’m 99% sure it was Timothy Kempton, Jr., a PF prospect from AZ. I know this name has not been mentioned on here (and I cannot find ANYTHING on his college choices online) but he did introduce himself to me as Timothy, and the recruiting file photo matches. Maybe someone can find something on his list, because I could not. And yes, this is my first post so I would understand skepticism.

TMH
    Participant

Welcome aboard Lehigh2012 and thank you for the information. Kempton is 6-9, 210 and considered the #1 Center Recruit in AZ. I haven’t found any link to Lehigh yet but that means nothing. He currently has offers from Air Force, Idaho, Idaho St. and Weber St. but his star is apparently on the rise. I understand Penn State is recruiting him too, so perhaps he combined visits this weekend.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

His is a little more info on Kempton from a rivals article on August 22nd, and it looks like a confirmation of LU2012’s detective work:

Kempton currently holds offers from Northern Arizona, Idaho, Idaho State, Air Force, Weber State, Houston Baptist, Rice and Santa Clara. The power forward also says that San Diego and Lehigh are some of the schools recruiting him the hardest.

Kempton has one official visit scheduled to Lehigh in early September. The forwards recruitment is wide open at this point, but he is looking for a program where he can have an impact right from the beginning.

Also, DJ MacLeay who had a final four of Lehigh, Bucknell, Penn and AU committed to Bucknell last night.  Worthington also committed to BYU (not surprising with the Mormon connection).

More info on Jalen Norman – http://fansided150.com/2012/08/28/basketball-recruiting-2013-jalen-normans-versatility-shines/

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by StablerBum StablerBum.

lehigh90
    Participant

It sounds like Bucknell is kicking our tail in recruiting.  I think they have three commits so far, to our zero.  I thought we could potentially be evening up the playing field with them, but it seems like every time we go head to head, we lose.  Not good.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I don’t think you can read into Bucknell out-recruiting LU that much.  It’s true that we had interest in Azzinaro and Oberfeld, and offered MacLeay but generally speaking any high academic Division 1 prospect is going to have “interest” from the entire PL and Ivy because there just aren’t that many of that type of prospect.  I think any time a PL school gets a commitment, that player is turning down other PL schools unless he is very boderline or has some weird circumstances like Fran’s Aussies.  If we get a commit from one of our primary targets, it would immediately shift the balance as recruiting is much more about quality than quantity.

It would be nice to get a commitment soon, but there are still a bunch of REALLY good prospects on our list that are undecided.  I will say though that Paulsen and his staff are excellent recruiters and talent evaluators and Bucknell continues to be the model PL program.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 142 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.