2014 Recruiting Targets

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball 2014 Recruiting Targets

This topic contains 231 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by StablerBum StablerBum 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 232 total)
  • Author

LUHoops00
    Participant

Yah saw he retweeted CJ so that’s a good sign. Yeah he plays on legit team in queens and is supposedly a great kid – my question is if he knows MS and TJ committed why even have interest? And what does staff say about how they going to use three pg?

LUHoops00
    Participant

If we going another guard in 14 it should be a scoring guard.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

If we going another guard in 14 it should be a scoring guard.

I think Jenkins might be the scoring guard, although some of the other 2014 guards we are looking at appear to be combo/scoring guards as well.

Couple other thoughts on all the guard interest. One, either the staff is pretty confident Devon Carter can play the 3 for extended periods, or he is being recruited over. He didn’t show much last season pre-injury so I fear it could be the latter. Although he does have a solid build and could likely guard Patriot League 3 men without much issue.

Second, I’m wondering how CJ has impacted how we are perceived by guards more than big guys. It could be that these high school guards saw how CJ developed at Lehigh and how he was allowed to get up a good # of shots and have a lot of the ball and they want to follow in his footsteps. While I don’t think this would hurt our standing with any big men, it could be that the “CJ Effect” on recruiting applies more to guards than bigs and the staff is just going after the best available guys.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Perceptive point SB. Given what we know, staff may be going for best player and most are PGs. Still want a big. Seems I say that every year….lol

TMH
    Participant

SB,
    There is likely a lot of merit to your thought. I definitey makes a nice recruiting tool.
    I think the bigger problem though just may be sheer numbers. The set of basketball players 6-8 and over is far smaller than the set of 6 footers. The large man set is further shrunk by Lehigh academic requirements. Now we have have to compete with all the same schools for this limited # of players. Some very good ones fall through the cracks and appreciate the combination of academics and athletics but it’s much harder to find them.
    Just my opinion.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Agree 100% TMH. Really hard to find big guys at any level, and mid-majors are even more extreme. That said, here is a tidbit on big guy Michael Daum.

“I will be taking four visits in September and October,” Daum said. “I’ll be going to Idaho State, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado and North Dakota. I hope to make it to Lehigh too. Those are the schools I talk to on an almost daily basis.

LUHoops00
    Participant

SBum – I did some reading post TJ signing and by all accounts he is a pure pg.
    Sexondly, I agree CJ put us on the map and makes it appealing for guards, but staff needs to find the best of the ones now interested and sign them, and move on.lets not discount his classmates two forwards are getting paid to play as well, so that means kids can see we can develop all types of players.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Not sure I found the same reports on Jenkins as you did Hoops. I saw a couple of instances in which his shot selection was called into question which doesn’t scream pure point to me.

Second, by no means was I disparaging Holden or Gabe, but there is a giant difference between being an NBA lottery pick and playing in mid-tier Euro leagues. Especially from the perspective of a 17 year old.

TMH
    Participant

Just a thought
    Over the next two years, we lose 5 players, 4 of which are guards and 2 of them are pure PGs
    MS recently tweeted that he is still growing and thinks he may see 6-2. He averaged 18+ last year and opened eyes with his 3 point shooting. Perhaps he slides to the SG eventually. That kinda leaves the PG fairly wide open.

LUHoops00
    Participant

SBum, my man, I guess it is hard to tell what some of these guys will be at the college level. I recall most of what I saw on twitter talked about him as a pg, but some tweets did sau combo guard. MOF aau team coach called him best leader he ever has, which signals pg perhaps. He had a ton more assists than anyone else on his high school team, and the videos I have seen with him a lot of his half court clips are him at top of key with ball penetrating, not one video is him coning off a screen per se. Granted, these are small tidbits of info, but nonetheless, things I’ve picked up.

Until we see MS play, we won’t know for sure what staff views him as, he did put up a ton of points in HS, so perhaps he is combo. I think of the guards we have that we are positive aren’t PGs include: AD, SC, AP, CR, and DC. MS & TJ, I guess we’ll score those TBDs for now.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Gehring taking first official to Pepperdine. There are many many many advantages of LU when compared to a Pepperdine but the weather and women aren’t two of them.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Cant argue weather but our girls just as pretty, drink much better and are not all good Catholic girls…lol

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

haha, love it. We’re all starting to think like these kids now!

In other visit news on guys we are recruiting, Muhammad Abdul-Rahkman is visiting Mason, East Carolina, and Towson this weekend.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Gabe Vincent crossed Lehigh off his list. Down to UCSB, Portland & Pacific.

LU808
    LU808
    Participant

I did my under graduate at Lehigh and a Masters at Pepperdine. Both are great schools but the PPDINE campus is stuning and atheltic facilities top notch…especially the BB arena. It will likely come down to player and coach personalities.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.