2014 Recruiting Targets

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball 2014 Recruiting Targets

This topic contains 231 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by StablerBum StablerBum 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 232 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Three guys we were linked to earlier in the process (but not much lately) have committed elsewhere:

Sean O’Mara the big man will be headed to Xavier. And Jerome Segura a pg from (I believe) Mackey’s high school in Houston is headed to Fairfield. Riley LaChance to Vanderbilt.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Whitfield MRI today, not sure if it is just to clear him to play off last year injury or if new one occurred.

Ross official this weekend.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Well this played out exactly as many on here expected, with Ross committing this weekend. So I think we can start focusing on 2015 class because the 2014 class looks to be booked, with two more guards! Jenkins and Ross are both in the staple, add that to Price and Simelton, and you got 4 guards in back to back classes, not even counting CR or GP. So next years roster is essentially identical as this years roster, where we’re just substituting TJ for AD and KR for MM. The same breakdown of guards vs forwards for this year applies for following year.
    2015 better be big on forwards, many our guards are going to be solid.

I did a ton of work on Ross last night, as I was expecting this announcement, and I really really like what I saw. SUPER quick, so solid in transition, his head is always on a swivel and he always gets the ball to the right man. He is really crafty in getting to the lane, super quick with the ball in his hands. I think this could work out quite well, excited we have him, as he was probably best available across all positions left for us(with a real shot at committing). Exciting news.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Do you think the staff thinks of TJ as a 2 then? He seems more like a one from what I’ve seen, but perhaps staff thinks he can be a 2 at 6’2 at the next level. Either way, you got TJ, KR, MS, and CS next year who are or were primary PG options at one stage of their career. Lots of options at the point.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I’m thinking the staff must view Jenkins as more of a 2. If Jenkins is a legit 6’2 I don’t think that will be a problem in the PL. As you said, if you view Jenkins and Ross as replacements for Mackey and AD – you really aren’t losing any size.

Some on here have speculated that JRG may be paying his own tuition. I find this unlikely, however IF it were the case and there is 1 more 2014 scholarship available that could go to a F/C that would add an interesting wrinkle.

LUHoops00
    Participant

SBum if you go under assumption JRG is walking on, and I keep seeing signs that this is more likely than not, here is what you got next year.
    TJ KR
    MS AP SW TK CR* JRG** GP*
    DC JC JG
    CS SC CB

If the three stars all stay walk on then we are at 12. Did we ever get clarification if 12 is a full boat for us or can we go 13? I would love a big for next year if possible.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Psh clarification?! Please. We will never know anything about the scholarship numbers as long as Housenick and Lore’s “reporting” consists of copy & pasting LU press releases under their own names. Maybe one of the guys at City of Basketball Love will find out for us.

No idea on the 12 v 13 scholarship debate, but if JRG is indeed a walk on at least there is a glimmer of hope that the staff is on the hunt for another big.

TMH
    Participant

I find this to be a bit strange but it was just reported (unless I missed it) that Lehigh has just offered Tevonn Walker, another PG for 2014.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/tevonn-walker

Perhaps this happened before the Ross signing and is only now being picked up.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Odd.Perhaps we are fielding 2 separate teams:)

youngfan
    Participant

Perhap’s there is method to the madness 10 guards this year and 12 next with three bigger guys who never are injured or leave the floor.
    A new basketball paradigm being innovated at Stabler!
    80 % shooting with 70% from 3 point range
    No rebounding necessary!

TMH
    Participant

Actually youngfan, it’s not quite as bad as you think. There are 7 scholarship guards on this year’s roster and 5 FWs. JRG is not eligible.
    Next season we bring in 2 more guards but also lose 2 (MM and AD). The key is JRG. I still maintain that he is the ultimate tweener whose skill set is certainly that of a FW. In HS, he shot less than 2 3s pr game and averaged 1 assist. He did grab 7.5 RBs and his hi-light film reminds me of the Darren Queenan dunkfest. I’m putting him in the SF category which puts us at 7 and 6 for next season. In 2015, we lose 2 more guards and a FW. Based solely on our recruiting so far, I would be real surprised if we don’t bring in at least 2 bigs.
    Just a thought.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I find this to be a bit strange but it was just reported (unless I missed it) that Lehigh has just offered Tevonn Walker, another PG for 2014.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/tevonn-walker

Perhaps this happened before the Ross signing and is only now being picked up.

I’m with TMH on this one. Obviously anything is possible, but my gut is that VerbalCommits just batch updated the offers for Walker and he at one time was being recruited by Lehigh. I doubt that any offer is still on the table.

youngfan
    Participant

My concerns are:

The smaller number of bigger men on the roster
    The bigger guys we have are light on experience
    We are over-recruiting at the guard position which can be problematic due to lack of minutes and morale issues.

Also, it is not realistic that “the key is JRG”. He will, hopefully, be a solid contributor but is quite small for a forward and the guard position is already overloaded. While he was a very good player in high school, he scored under 4 points a game at Lipscomb College.

TMH
    Participant

youngfan,
    I hear you. By next season when this recruiting class comes in, our bigs should be fairly seasoned. Coach apparently has seen enough to believe they can make an impact.
    In the meantime, here is the hi-lite video for JRG in his senior year of HS. Let me know where you think his skills are suited for. I have a theory that his lack of production may be from playing out of position. It may also be the reason why he didn’t get bigger offers.

We once had a similar tweener here at Lehigh. He was about the same size with similar jumping ability. 2,800 points and 1,500 rebounds later, I still may consider him to be the best Lehigh player ever. I am in NO way expecting similar production from JRG however, I still think he plays much better near the basket. The season will be here before we know it.

LU65
    Participant

It was my understanding back in April (see post made on 4/22/13 under JRG thread) that Glover will be classified as a “Walk-on” this year and it remains my contention that, in fact, he is a Walk-on. Call it a “guess” if you will but I prefer to think of it as “fact” and one supported by what I’ll refer to only as “unnamed souce(s) within the program.” As for the 12 vs. 13 scholarship limit, it’s my understanding that “12” is a self-imposed number adopted by Lehigh with the actual NCAA Divsion 1 ceiling being “13.”

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.