2014 Recruiting Targets

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball 2014 Recruiting Targets

This topic contains 231 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by StablerBum StablerBum 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 232 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Some new names via twitter:

Mark Miller‏@WisBBYearbook18 Apr
    Lehigh and Davidson are showing interest in Marshall’s Cam Ward, who plans to take unofficial visit to Texas A&M Corpus Christi on Monday.

Drew Maddux‏@DrewMaddux18 Apr
    2014 Jake Allsmiller (CPA) w/ coaches-Lehigh,Belmont,NCSt,W&M, Miami(OH),TN,Purdue,TNTech,Ole Miss,MissState,WrightSt,Harvard,WKU,Stanford.

Drew Maddux‏@DrewMaddux18 Apr
    On eve of spring period, 2014 PG Braxton Bonds (CPA) communicated w/ coaches fr MTSU,Stet,Wright St,Lehigh,Miami(oh),TN,UGA,TNTech,LSU,W&M.

Evan Flood‏@Evan_Flood20 Apr
    Net Gain 2014 G Dejon Davis has interest from #Badgers #Hawkeyes #NorthDakota #NDSU #Hampton and #Lehigh @ny2lasports

N.D. Kendrick‏@NDkendrick15 May
    RT @INrecruitguide: 2014 Jacob Johnson, a 6-6 SF from Mooresville (IN). (2014) has new interest from Lehigh and Dayton. http://goo.gl/l8SkQ

LUHoops00
    Participant

Hear we went to watch flomo workout, more guards for Guard U!

LUHoops00
    Participant

Desperately want some updates featuring some bigs!

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Come on Hoops! We all know Lehigh doesn’t recruit bigs. Another name and another 6’3 G:

Hoops Recruits‏@HOOPSrecruits21h
    2014 Richardson HS (TX) SG Nylan Yancy is receiving strong interest from Cornell, FAU, Lehigh, Tulsa & Weber St @NylanYancy

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Nylan-Yancy-131130

TMH
    Participant

Let’s take a look at the roster after this coming season.
    It appears that we will have 6 pure guards….CS,SC, DC,AP, MS and CR
    We will also have have 5 “bigs” CB,JG,JC,TK,and SW
    JRG to me is the prototypical tweener. He was a SF in HS with big man skills but in a guard’s body. I’m somewhat intrigued by RichH’s comparison with Queenan at least in style.
    I’m not sure what the scholarship situation is.If JRG is in fact a schollie then we only have 2 to play with. If CR turns out to be a real steal, then a schollie may be reserved for him in the future. In either case, I suspect we can be a little more selective. What is your strategy?

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Another 2014 name, and this one IS a big:

–In his first time in Philadelphia, Ngor Barnaba had to have made a solid impression on the coaches who checked out the Minnesota Fury’s 17U squad. A 6-foot-9, 220-pound power forward, Barnaba is more than just a big body, showing the ability to put the ball on the floor and even hit the 18-footer. A Sudanese native who moved to the United States when he was just a year old, Barnaba said he only has an offer from North Dakota State University but is hearing from “STSU, NDSU, Lehigh, Northern Iowa, (and) New Mexico.” La Salle was one local school who watched the Fury’s final game of the weekend.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

It appears that we will have 6 pure guards….CS,SC, DC,AP, MS and CR
    We will also have have 5 “bigs” CB,JG,JC,TK,and SW

I should be more explicit. I am very excited about JC and SW, but I wouldn’t consider either a “big”. I think those two will both be versatile players with the ability to post up, but when I say “big” I mean guys like Knutson, Mgebroff, McCarthy. On the current roster, I would say we have 1.5 bigs (Kempton as the 1, and Golsborough as the .5).

I’m on record as thinking JRG is on scholarship, although that is not confirmed at all. I also find it very hard to believe that CR will earn a schollie, and that article that mentioned “5 guards graduating” after this season is inaccurate. He may have had a decent shot to get a schollie when he initially committed, but if JRG got one then I think that posibility is highly unlikely. If the staff was that high on him, they would have offered. Let’s not forget that a guy like Corey Goodman averaged 16-18 ppg in high school as well and never sniffed the floor or a scholarship. I am glad to have CR in the program, and hope he develops into a contributor, but once you are a walk on it is very difficult to earn a schollie. Aside from rewarding performance, the staff has no incentive to give him a scholarship unless they fear he might transfer. And I don’t think CR is going to withold effort unless he is rewarded with a scholarship, so I just don’t see it happening unless someone transfers out last minue to create an opening or some other unpredictable situation.

As for recruiting priorities, I think the #1 goal should be another wide body to help down low. We don’t want TK to be the only true center on the roster like GK has been the last few years. Aside from that, I think it’s a best players available situation. There are no glaring holes on the roster to me besides a second legit big body. In my opinion college basketball basically consists of a PG a C, and three other guys (combo guard, swingman, “stretch 4” are all positions that really depend on style of play and roster composition). We seem to be set at PG, so I think a true C should be the main priority, and then just fill out the class with the best talent you can get.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Astute, as usual. I think both are WOs for next yr.. Jesse not a WB?

LUHoops00
    Participant

Sbum, your work on recruiting class information is phenomenal, I really don’t know how you find all these guys out it is amazing! I agree, I’d like another big or two in next years class.

TMH
    Participant

As always StablerBum, thank you for your input. Because I’d like to keep the conversation going, I going to respectfully disagree on some points.
    1.)Lehigh gets the best results in recruiting players that for some reason fall off the radar. Wide bodies who are 6-10 or so are usually noticeable. If they are big and athletic, they often don’t make it to the mid major level. There are times though where they may value a good education as much as moments on Sports Center, like Muscala or Kempton but if I go back over the last 10 years, we have gotten far more value from athletic 6-7 players than those 6-10 or over. See Safstrom, Gourlay, Anderson. If there is another Knutsen out there, then go after him but I wouldn’t force the issue.
    2.)At 6-10, 6-8, 6-8, 6-7 and 6-6 we are taller and probably far more athletic than we have been in awhile. Whether or not they develop will likely determine the most desired recruiting targets.
    3.)Comparing CG and CR doesn’t quite work for me. I’ll admit that the latter is quite an enigma to me. Corey averaged about 18/g during his senior year and was 2nd team All-league in a private school league. Cole’s stats are more reflective of CJs and he was 2nd team team but PA A/S AAAA. Alas, only time will tell. Rob Hamlin came to Lehigh as a 4X State Champ but in VT, a wrestling wasteland. I’m almost certain he was a non-scholarship wrestler at the time. He ended up a 3X AA and 2X National finalist. I’m certain he earned a scholarship somewhere in that time.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

1) Totally agree that the success rate on bigs is lower than on other positions. I also think we could very well have won the Xavier game and go to the sweet 16 two years ago with Kevin McCarthy healthy. Our lack of frontcourt size and depth was brutally exposed in our marquee OOC games last season. Yes, you are going to bring in some big guys that don’t pan out, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t prioritize them on the recruiting trail. If we got destroyed in the paint OOC, why wouldn’t we TRY to address it?

2) Agree 100%. We will have quite a bit more height, versatility, and athleticism in the frontcourt than I can recently remember. On the second point, we better already have our priorities in order because offers are going out and visits are being conducted for the class of 2014. I trust the staff is much better acquainted with the roster and needs than we are.

3) Agree that CG and CR is far from a perfect comparison. I do however, feel as though expectations for CR have spiraled out of control a bit. I want the team to be successful, so I want all the players to be succesful, but everytime I see CJ and CR’s name in the same post it makes me a little uncomfortable. High school stats are borderline meaningless, and let’s remember CJ was the Gatorade state player of the year in Ohio as a senior, not to mention had other mid-major offers. I LOVE the fact that the leading scorer in the state of PA is coming to Lehigh and paying his own way, but I’d rather set the bar low and have him exceed it than the inverse.

avgrenn
    Participant

I have reported many things on this board about CR and I am a huge fan of this kid as a player and person. However, comparing him to CJ is a little premature. As I stated early CJ is a once in a lifetime type PL player, probably why he is the all-time leading scorer. I think the unknown is fascinating and as I said earlier I will be shocked if CR does not become a successful player for Lehigh in some capacity. As an avid fan of college athletics it is difficult to predict who will become a star and who will only last one semester. So many factors are at play, academics, health, home-sick, style of play, work ethic, desire, etc… I am anxiously awaiting the upcoming years to see who will have an impact and who will fade away. The interest in CR will continue as we all root for underdogs and the unknown as I said is fascinating. The only thing for certain is that at this time next year we will have some more information and will be talking about what might happen next. That is what makes sports so wonderful.

TMH
    Participant

StablerBum, We are in complete agreement :-) I am guilty as charged in making the comparison of CJ and CR statistically. I was not trying to say that the latter will be as good as the former. I am simply saying that I believe he has a role on this team other than that of a normal walk-on. Time will tell.
    With that being said, here is today’s Lehigh trivia contest.
    As noted above, CJ McCollum was the Gatorade POY in Ohio during his senior year. I believe that he is only one of four Lehigh athletes that have competed over the last 3-4 years and share that distinction. Can anyone name the other three?

toddcudd
    Participant

One quick correction @avq – can’t resist, as I was a big fan. CJ is not our all-time leading scorer – that honor still belongs to Q. That, by itself, could spawn a “best player” thread (which I’d love!). But it does illustrate an interesting point. A 6’6″ SF could at one time, and I’d argue still might be able to, be dominant as a “big” at this level. Along those lines, I’m with the bum – the scarcity of skilled “bigs” makes them all the more important at this level. And I’m also fine with calling 6’7″-6’8″ bigs, for us.
    We got KILLED on the boards this year; game-in, game-out. I’m thrilled with our results on the year, given the obvious bad luck. But had we been able to play even on the glass? I’m trying not to think about it…

avgrenn
    Participant

toddcudd you are correct as far as Lehigh’s all-time leading scorer but I meant the PL all-time leading scorer.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.