2015 Recruiting Targets

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball 2015 Recruiting Targets

This topic contains 410 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  sam.h.tyler88 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 411 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Forgot about Navigato. Q for the mavens. Are any of these 3 better than the possibles for next year might be? Do any in either group look able to step in right away when they get here?

toddcudd
    Participant

I don’t consider myself any kind of authority, and don’t have any specific insight on ’15 guys vs. our ’16 list. But all else being equal, if one of the ’15s looks good, I’d like to see us get one. As others have pointed out here, nobody knows much until these guys get on campus and play with the team. Ratings and scouting reports provide some info, but not nearly enough. Some guys outperform projections, while others never meet expectations. Based on that, it feels like having another guy in-house that we can learn about would only improve our evaluation of future needs.
    Other factors I wonder about: is there a stigma or perceived added risk for guys who backed out of commitments elsewhere? Could there be a policy – official or otherwise – about de-commits? Are there budget policy factors that we can’t see? Deadlines that make adding another guy this late a problem? Just thinking out loud…

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

I am also skiddish with de-commits. If they changed their mind once, they could change it again after the team has invested valuable time and a roster spot. Obvious exception is a coaching change. Or a family health problem that makes distance from school to home an issue.

TMH
    Participant

Being the true contrarian I am, I’m not nearly as down on those who de-commit. This is just my opinion but this is not like a recidivism rate for felons. Recruits are increasingly getting younger and younger. They are being asked to make one of the biggest decisions in the lives under a great deal of pressure. Coaches are watching and communicating with kids when they are 15-16-17 years old at camps. They sell them the moon and tell them that they need to make a decision quickly because there are 40 offers out there for 3 spots. At first, they relish the attention but eventually it becomes all too much for them. I actually feel for these kids. They are entitled to a mistake.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A younger me was quite leery of flippers.Still not a fan. Given the intensity of recruiting today,even at our level,I am at times less surprised by teenagers changing their minds and that not more of them do so. There are so many “experts” in person and on social media that these kids are inundated with pressure. Not knowing much about any of these kids,probably best not to judge. For me,I hope we get the right big for us and for him.

toddcudd
    Participant

I guess the de-commit thing makes me a bit nervous, too. But on the other hand, it’s probably better for a change now, if the match doesn’t feel right, vs. a future transfer? And the “special circumstances” cases, like Navigato and the coaching change at Albany, are very understandable. The opportunity is no longer what was agreed upon.

On another note: Hibbits is visiting Michigan tomorrow. I think it’s a good bet that they are one of the options he’s been holding out for. His profile shows interest, but no offer, from both them and Michigan St.

toddcudd
    Participant

Navigato to Toledo. One down…

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Hibbitts has committed to University of Michigan…as a walk-on. Pretty unique that a kid would turn down full rides to Vermont, American, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, and others. Sounds like the Lehigh offer has been off the table for awhile as there is no mention. If it is his dream to play at Michigan, good for him, but seems crazy to me to choose the uphill battle of a walk-on versus going to a place like Vermont with a great chance to play, make the tournament, and get your school paid for. Wonder if he will be back on the market in a year or two.

toddcudd
    Participant

Another head-scratcher, and this one might be a new record: Wyatt Walker was on our ’15 list and had a solid list of offers. Back in February we scratched him from our list, as he gave a verbal to Princeton.
    I learned that he recently de-committed from Princeton, and yesterday signed with… Samford.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Saw that. Puzzling choice to say the least. Samford a pretty good college . What are they in Bball?

toddcudd
    Participant

A bad team in a bad conference. Finished 2nd to last in SoCon last season.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Took another look at his offers. Guessing it wasn’t all about Bball. Perhaps he felt Samford was his best fit for other reasons.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Friend of mine was a star soccer player in Div. 3. One of his son’s was even better and had full ride offers from several Big East schools, an ACC school, and financial need based offers from two Ivies including Princeton. However, the Princeton academic office at the time would not guarantee admission to any athletics recruit regardless of acceptable scholastic credentials after the junior year. The young man got in and had a fine experience at Princeton, but if admissions had turned him down for whatever reason the other offers would have been long gone. Not sure if that policy is still around, and I don’t have any information on this situation, but it makes me wonder. A comparison of the contacts you make at Princeton relating to future life versus those at Samford……is not worth a discussion. And that’s not a knock on a Samford education. It’s about who you meet.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Do know for football,Ivies issue likely letters to commits. Issued after app is run thru Admissions. Extremely rare for recruit not to be admitted thereafter. Imagine same procedures apply to Bball.

toddcudd
    Participant

As ’15 recruiting wraps up, it looks like Brady Ernst’s gamble paid off. He committed to Iowa St. today. I gather they had a head coaching change, and I’m guessing that it created an opportunity for him.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 411 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.