2017 Schedule

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football 2017 Schedule

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

This was posted on AGS. The 2017 slate is rather underwhelming imo. Outside of Villanova there’s not a whole lot to get excited about imo. Penn is “nice”. @ Wagner is just a brutal game imo. It accomplishes very little. Duquesne, Sacred Heart or St. Francis would be much better choices from the NEC. One plus? The bye comes at a perfect time.

9/2 Villanova
    9/9 @Monmouth
    9/16 Yale
    9/23 Penn
    9/30 @Wagner
    10/7 @Colgate
    10/14 Georgetown
    10/28 @Fordham
    11/4 @Bucknell
    11/11 Holy Cross
    11/18 Lafayette #153

hawktalker
    Participant

Several things stand out:
    1. Six home games, but…
    2. Not very well spread out. 3 of the first 4
    and the last two are home, but…
    3. Lehigh will play one home game between
    September 23 and November 11
    4. That stretch includes road games at Colgate
    and at Fordham, which may define the season

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Dont mind Wagner. Like Nova but hate opening with them. Oh well
    .Not a bad OOC but a boring one indeed. Dont really object to MU. A local opponentwhich eases the difficulty of getting 5 OOC every year. Not a big fan of making them a permanent fixture. Seems our only vatiety will be which NEC team we mert.
    I know I am overstating my point. Yup we have Navy in 18.
    Are we going to have a plug in OOC of 1 NEC,2 Ivy,1 CAA and MU most every year??

van
    van
    Participant

from a travel standpoint, all the away games are close except Gate and that is not unreasonable, once again Gate early in the year

nothing wrong with Wagner, short trip, lot of alums in the area, nothing wrong with St F, Sacred Heart or Duq either

would like to see one regional (CAA Nova, Hens, Stony Brook or Towson) on schedule every year

Agree with Rich, not a fan of Monmouth every year, would prefer Princeton, Columbia, another CAA, or occasional BCS

all in all, a reasonable schedule

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Now imagine if that Villanova 9/2 game was actually on the night of Thursday 8/31 with temporary lights…

Isn’t that more exciting that a Saturday game on 9/2 in 100 degree heat?

LUHawker
    LUHawker
    Participant

Our scheduling is BORING.

Same old, same old. Besides having to travel to UNH for the playoffs, I was unenthused by that game because it was a familiar school.

IMO, Joe and Andy need to add some excitement to the schedule. I believe that part of the slide in interest in LU football has to do with the staid slate of opponents.

Coen has made it clear that he doesn’t like traveling distance for OOC games, but LU needs to spice it up. The only way that will happen is by doing interesting home-and-homes. Wagner and Monmouth – yuck. Also, our OOC doesn’t help us should we be vying for an at-large bid.

BORING

Lehigh74
    Participant

Not sure what happened to Princeton. I believe we signed a long term scheduling agreement with them years ago that ran beyond 2020.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I am sure Tigers will be back. Do recall mention of long term contract. No idea of actual terms or if it is still in force.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

Getting Villanova, who will have a new head coach, to start the year might be an advantage.

Hopefully Princeton returns next year. They’re my favorite IL opponent….

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I’d still like to see a game with the top midwestern or southern conferences, or at least switch off Villanova with some other teams in their league.

How badly would we beat Muhlenberg, an old rival, if I remember correctly? Might be neat to replay some games we played around the turn of the 20th century, wear throwback jerseys. LOL

van
    van
    Participant

while it would be interesting to play a mid west team, I don’t see much value, we don’t recruit much there and have few alums that could attend; now if we could get them to Goodman for a one off, then I would be all for that

I would be OK with a Southern Conf team, Chatts, Wofford, Furman or Big South other than Monmouth

a FL school would make some sense as we recruit there, but that means BCS

TMH
    Participant

The 2017 schedule is set. However we do play a team in Maryland in 2018 that should draw some attention.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

[quote quote=29979]while it would be interesting to play a mid west team, I don’t see much value, we don’t recruit much there and have few alums that could attend; now if we could get them to Goodman for a one off, then I would be all for that

I would be OK with a Southern Conf team, Chatts, Wofford, Furman or Big South other than Monmouth

a FL school would make some sense as we recruit there, but that means BCS

[/quote]

Youngstown State is a team Lehigh should try to get a home and home with. Plenty of recruits in the Western PA and Northeast Ohio to draw from. I don’t consider them Midwest but they’re at least west of Bucknell.

Lehigh has also gotten guys from Michigan and Illinois as well. Illinois State or EIU wouldn’t be bad options either.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I offer two intriguing matchups with LU connections (just for the fun of it):

Charleston Southern and its AD: http://csusports.com/information/directory/bios/hank_small?view=bio

Wake Forest coaching staff: http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wake-m-footbl-mtt.html#coaches

Interestingly, Navy’s RPI is 27 compared to Wake’s 71. LU is 141.
    http://realtimerpi.com/college_footbal/ncaaf_power_rankings_Full.html

LU is ranked close to two Florida FBS teams (Florida Atlantic and Florida International) and above two FCS teams (A&M and Stetson). Not sure I see much advantage in playing them — institutions have very different academic profiles.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.