#22 Dom Bragalone RB

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football #22 Dom Bragalone RB

This topic contains 122 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Are trolls a protected species. Dont want PETA to picket us :).
    You are right tho.

holyloch61
    Participant

Rich I hope they ALL play and we have a season of just a few injuries .Defense needs to improve and some help from WR’s and TE’s and we should have a good year .I think the offensive line will really be good without any injuries .Cross your fingers .

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

holy,
    Crossing fingers,lighting candles,anything at all to avoid a plague of injuries like last year.Other than TE ,O is well set ay each position. We had 3 very good sr TEs last year that were hardly ever targeted. Unlikely,I think, that that will cha.ge this year. D,so wish “that they have to be better as they couldn’t be worse” logic is true. We”ll see.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Just got back from a funeral near my hometown (Milton, Pa.), and bumped into a long time high school friend (who is a complete sports junkie) at the viewing. First thing he says is “did you hear who you guys got?” According to him, coaches in the Heartland Conference (north central Pa.) are stunned Bragalone did not get serious FBS consideration, particularly after the Penn State camp. I’m not in to football recruiting the way most folks on this thread are (I’m more a basketball junkie), but my buddy simply echoed what many here have said; “Lehigh got a steal”. Hopefully he’s right.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I do not mean to be provocative, but does anyone know what percentage of featured backs in the FCS are white? I heard a hypothesis of reverse discrimination the other day about FSC recruiting, and would like to know if there may be a kernel of truth to it.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I dont know about discrimination,reverse or otherwise. The evident truth is that the vast majoritu of top level RBs in th NFL and NCAA are black. I believe that is more due to talent than race. Does that balance lead coaches to lean more towards a black HS RB? Perhaps. LUs RBs over my time have come in all sizes and colors. Talent will for the most part win out over color. If their is a bias,think it results more from the success other coaches have had with black RBs than from any sort of reverse discrimination.

LehighGuy
    Participant

A troll???? Because I have an opinion and don’t agree with the breakfast club? Got it. Once again I will say its a good gamble for LU. I”ll leave you guys to creaming in your pants over your new savior at RB. This whole thing sounds like last yr and the old savior you guys creamed over…..Yosha…..LMAO.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

I don’t know the number Sunday but it’s probably relatively high. The Montana schools have a history of white kids who are both tough and athletic. Montana State had Cody Kirk in 2013 who was one of the better backs in the Big Sky. Chase Reynolds was a beast for the UM Griz a few years ago. Zach Zenner at South Dakota State was probably the best RB in FCS this year. Nico Steriti at UNH was another one who was extremely talented. Others off of the top of my head, Matt Szczur Villanova, Nate Eachus Colate, Breitenstien Wofford…

Some of the better WR’s in FCS have also been white. Cooper Kupp at EWU is, imo, the best WR in the country at the FCS level. There’s also, Spadola, David Ball UNH, Marc Mariani Montana, Smith NDSU, Wetzel Fordham…

It’s possible FBS schools wanted Bragalone as a safety and he was focused on being a RB.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

REMEMBER VAN’S ADVICE. DONT FEED THE TROLL

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I just watched the DB junior year video with my football-playing, teenage son — and asked for his opinion.

He, too, saw the lack of size and, especially speed, of almost every opposing player. Likewise, they made LU tacklers look like the NFL’s best.

That said, my kid thinks DB is outstanding — breakaway speed, great agility as he comes through the line and ability to find a tiny whole. Not to mention he’s a big, strong guy.

We think he could compare favorably to Leigh. Best ever? Barket was not best ever. I see DB with more potential than Barket, but there are TONS of other factors. I think some of us thought Barket would be LU’s best.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Good points. Barket could have been ,if he could have avoided injuries. Still had a good year but no not the super star we thought he would be.

jmn6402
    Participant

I don’t know what you are getting at as far as not playing anybody w size. Of the 15 teams that DB S team faced eight of them have posted rosters. I personally computed the average size of the line alone. I hate to bore you with the statistics but here you go. 6 foot one 273 pounds, 6 foot 231 pounds, 6 foot one 240 pounds, 6 foot one 249 pounds, 6 foot two 249 pounds, 6 foot 245 pounds, 6 foot one 250 pounds. Again this is the average of only eight of the 15 Teams That post of the rosters.for an average was pretty damn big my comparison for single A schools.

TMH
    Participant

As to the discrimination question, I asked the same question earlier for a reason. Many years ago, I talked to college coach (assistant) from a big school. I asked him what he looked for in an athlete. Interestingly, the first think he said were his ankles. Thin ankles apparently related to quickness. When I asked him about skin color, he posed that exact same question to me…name 3 RBs in the major college ranks that were Caucasian. Even going backwards, I could only come with Craig James and Tommy Vardell. Although he didn’t say it, I think he meant that there could be a subconscious bias.
    Zach Barkett put up amazing #s in HS but I took a wait and see approach on him simply because he had LB speed (about 4.7/40) and wasn’t tremendously big. He was durable in HS though with over 400 carries during his senior year. DB is different.
    I must say though that I just watched the hi-lite film of Brisker again and shook my head. It’s only a hi-lite tape but the only way he went down was a gang tackle or ankle tackle (some times). This will be some 4-way competition. If Kee is ready to go…RB will be really deep this year.

tigerfb75
    Participant

Brisker is going to be a special special player at Lehigh and will get on the field early. You can take that to the bank.

pafan11
    Participant

TMH,

In regards to your question of race there is no question that it plays a part both in coaching and recruiting. Coaches are human and live in our society which is littered with prejudices and stereotypes. Jason Seahorn a white corner in the NFL chronicled his path to the NFL in some sports documentary I watched (can’t remember which one). He explained that his entire career, even when he was drafted ,coaches tried to move him to safety. His only explanation for this was that he was white. I have heard similar stories with Tailbacks being pushed to FB. In basketball it is even worse. Think of the disgraceful manner we describe players. The white basketball player, “heady, smart, coach on the floor, gritty, tough.” Anyone remember Bob Sura one of the most Athletic basketball players I have ever seen. The Black basketball player, “explosive, fast, athletic, leaper, and my personal favorite well spoken.” Now is there some data to support these stereotypes, probably. However, with every individual talent should be the only thing that matters but we don’t live in a utopian society. Yes race matters if you think it doesn’t you are in complete denial, IMHO.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.