A beatdown

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football A beatdown

This topic contains 52 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Sure he’s responsible. Got to remember ,other than Trey,he has hired a lot of very good assts. Have no explanation for this bunch on D. The answer is for Andy to fix it,not to fire him.

toddcudd
    Participant

Outside of items already mentioned here, the thing that caught my eye was the speed on the edges, on both sides of the ball. When an FU runner got to the edge, it wasn’t even close – they ran away from everyone. On the other side, FU were able to run down everything on the edge. To my untrained eye, it looked like they simply have MUCH better athletes. I’ve seen and understand discussion here about DL getting run over, so LBs don’t have a chance, but the biggest thing I saw was inability to contain. Was that due to DL getting mauled? Or were they just way, way faster at those positions?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Pearcy and Edmonds faster than anyone we have on D save prhaps Leaks. Most of their runs were on their tackle out . Good blocking and once they were in space big gains. Andy said he hoped LU looked as good after 6 yrs of schollies.
    Saving grace is they started 16 seniors and 5th yrs.

holyloch61
    Participant

I would agree with most of the comments about the Defense as to they are SMALL ,SLOW and do not tackle very good . Where I disagree is with some of the comments about the offense .It is true Lehigh does not have any speed at RB and no speed or size at receiver .So some of the comments about the QB not being able to generate offense is not really true .When you are running for your life on every play or when he does throw a pass the other teams defense is all over our players .Against BUCKNELL they rushed 4 guys and dropped back 7 ,so WHERE do you throw the ball . It looks like all the teams we play have Lehigh’s playbook and know every play we try to run .There is NO imagination in play calling ,no screen plays ,no reverse’s only the same play at least 10 times a game ,run up the middle .These play may work in high school but against good teams you go nowhere .As for the QB what do you want him to do ??? Run ,pass ,catch ,tackle ,block ,kickoff ,punt .He cannot do all the things a TEAM is supposed do .As for Fordham there QB did not look all that great ,except he had players to help him ,running and catching the ball .It all comes down to having players that can PLAY ,and coach’s who can COACH !!

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

As difficult as it is to do, I’m giving Andy a temporary pass on OC and DC. Cecc left at a bad time; sounds like Coen had a tough time hiring a DC. Both are local. Is there no one better? That’s hard to believe.

Also, I have to wonder about our schollie recruiting. Some of our supposed top players are not matching up with those at other schollie schools.

BTW — looking ahead. G-town game Bucknell a run for its money. Not sure G-town has air game to defeat us, though.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Personally, I think you have to take the loss today as a loss against one of the greatest teams the Patriot League has ever produced, on par with the Cross Gordie Lockbaum teams of the 80s. Going into the season, about the only question Fordham had on offense was who would run the football, and somehow Moorhead secured a scholarship for Chase Edmonds, a freshman who would have made any team in the Patriot League a great team overnight. They would have been tough enough without him; with them, I can’t see Bucknell or Colgate beating them. They are just that good.

It’s hard for me to be too mad at Shafnisky after his great running kept Lehigh’s drives alive at several junctures. He did miss some reads way too often – one read he had Derek Gaul wide open in the middle of one of his scrambles, a certain TD had he thrown it – but hard to pin the loss on him when the Rams have an offense that have so many ways to beat you. Shaf and the offense fought all game, no question, to keep it close, while again I was impressed with Sodeke’s determination throughout the game. I don’t see kids taking the day off.

Losses still suck, don’t get me wrong. I’m not happy we lost. But in this one we were out-athleted by a Top 5 team and a win would have required more breaks to go Lehigh’s way, in the form of a kickoff return for touchdown, turnovers, etc. That didn’t happen, but it happened with a lot of fight and pride that I could see.

I could see us winning out the rest of the season.

Miller
    Participant

LFN, Villanova disagrees with Fordham being a great team. They are a good team in a poor conference. Just shows how fast we have fallen.

van
    van
    Participant

you are too optimistic Chuck, we will be sorely tested in every remaining game, I think we will be lucky to be better than 2-2 from here, just hope one of the W’s is in the Bronx

As to Shaf, I don’t see where anyone thinks he lost any game, all our losses are due to the D, however he is not up to par as a passer yet, he may get there but not there now

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Ae got beat by a much better team. One I think that is mych better than the one that played Nova at the start of the season. Nebrich was immobile in that game. Guess I fit somewhere in the middle on our squad. O is a work in progress. For whatever reason,we are not Air Lehigh. The essential key to that is a QB making correct and timely reads. Nick is not there yet. To me,more no huddle O would kick start O. We’ve done it very well but not very often. Short quick passes,up tempo,simple reads. Less chance for Nick to hesitate on reads. We have very good TEs and FBs who are almost non factors in our O. Why? Are screens and flares no longer a part of the O? I have no answers,but we are well into the season,the O staff should and they dont seem to.
    D is the as Chuck noted the reason for our season. Why? Size,inexperience,lack of talent? To me these may all be factors but not the answer. D has gotten a little better .
    Still see way to much chinese fire drill. Very little cohesion. D staff has to bear the main resonsibility here. The mantra that players out of position,tackle poorly etc… falls more now on the failure of staff to teach the players.

Buddy
    Participant

Rich,
    I have not seen such a one dimensional offense in all my years since I coached Pop Warner back in the early 80’s, I was calling the plays before they were run in the stands, and I’m an old guy. These coaches today are a hell of lot smarter than I am and if I see it you know our opponents are seeing it! I can’t figure it out, why aren’t we trying different things? I can’t believe I’m comparing the mighty Lehigh Engineers to Pop Warner football, there needs to be a change? As far as defense goes, we need a lot of help, I know we are very young on defense but we should at least try something, move kids around, whatever, or has Lehigh grown so politically correct that we cannot moves kids around with out their consent because its not the position they were recruited for? We are paying these kids to play Football! Play them where they are best suited!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Buddy,I have no idea why our O has morphed into what we’ve seen this year.Inexperience with Nick and Folmar? We all see it. The why and what should be done, a mystery to me. Hopefully not to coaches.

Buddy
    Participant

Rich,
    I hope your right and the coaches do see it, I like Coach Cohen a lot, he is a true gentleman, and he has a tremendous track record over the years, I hope he makes the necessary adjustments. I think coach Cohen should call the shots on both offense & defense. If he has to move personnel around well so be it! We have to start preparing for next year with the exception of Lafayette which we have to win!

badjnj
    Participant

wow – do you guys know out of all the teams FU played, we outscored all of them. No one else was able to put up 27 points.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Sometimes ppl fail to see the forest for the trees. No doubt staff knows their are problems. Have they correctly identified them? No real answer for that yet. I do trust Andy. Can our issues be fixed in the next couple of games? Hope so ,but seems highly unlikely. We all can see the events on the field. The cause of them is perhaps not so evident.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well bad,Nova did for sure. Yes,we can score but we leave too many points on the field. Should we be winning more avging close to 30 pts a game. Not when your D gives up close to 40 a game.
    LU fans are usd to a high scoring Air Lehigh offense. This yr we have some sort of vanilla potluck Othat is leaving scoring opportunities on the field which we desperately need.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.