A beatdown

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football A beatdown

This topic contains 52 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Buddy
    Participant

badjni,
    We scored 27 points, great! Lets give everyone a trophy! We lost the damn game. I don’t care how good they are, this is Lehigh Football we are not supposed to loose.

badjnj
    Participant

I didn’t say lets give everyone a trophy..just looking at a positive from the game by saying we were able to outscore FU other opponents (yes except for their only loss to Villanova).

Buddy
    Participant

badjni,
    Sorry, I’m just ticked off, I would have expected so much more from a Lehigh team that has so much talent that is not being utilized.

Miller
    Participant

Buddy, that is the best post of the season and sums up everyone’s opinion. Talent>Coaching>desire

Buddy
    Participant

Miller,
    Thanks, I’m glad we all feel the same, I guess I’m done giving my two cents. Its just that I’ve been around football for five decades both playing & coaching at all levels and have followed Lehigh my entire life and have seen nothing like this, I pray we can turn it around.

holyloch61
    Participant

Buddy I agree with what you said about the Lehigh offense .There is no imagination to the plays or to the play calling by the coaching staff .If the people in the stands watching can see what the play is being run ,I am sure the defense can also know what play Lehigh is going to run .As I stated before the Bucknell game should be a great example of a team knowing and reading our plays .How many screen passes or a reverse has Lehigh run this year ???? Some comments say Lehigh has better players sitting on the bench ,I for one would like to see them play IF we have such players !!!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well said Buddy. Pretty much sums up everyone’s frustration.

TMH
    Participant

Folmar seems to be taking some heat here, mostly because the offense lacks a big vertical game. Consider whether or not Nick would thrive under that system. He is not (yet perhaps) Lum or Bialkowski. I’m not sure if he has the arm strength or the accuracy.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

“Personally, I think you have to take the loss today as a loss against one of the greatest teams the Patriot League has ever produced, on par with the Cross Gordie Lockbaum teams of the 80s.”

Come on Chuck! They may be a very good team, but it is way too early to anoint them as one of the all time greats. Until they prove it against quality opposition in the playoffs, I am not putting them ahead of the ’98, ’01, or ’11 Lehigh teams, let alone the juggernaut of the mid ’80s Holy Cross teams with Lockbaum. I am sure that a few Colgate fans feel that their ’03 team was one of the best.

So far this year, Fordham has played ONE team with a winning record and got their heads handed to them. So while their stats are impressive, their opponents have been anything but. They need to make a run in the playoffs before they should be mentioned with some of the all time great Patriot League teams.

TheCobbler
    Participant

I keep reading there are more talented guys on the sideline, but have not read any names. Who should be playing that isn’t currently playing? How do you have any idea if they are better than the guys that are playing? And don’t give me “well they can’t be any worse” B.S. First on here it was #8 should play more. He started a few games and was worse than the guy before. Then I read a lot the last few weeks about how #14 should be playing more. Did anyone see how bad he was on Saturday? So yes, the guys who aren’t playing, are probably worse than the ones who are!

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

I watched/followed some of that Villanova game. IMVHO it was one of those WTF games for Fordham that had the perfect storm of things to screw them up: 1) falling behind early to a running team, 2) a lightning delay that completely threw the team out of sorts, and 3) early turnovers that put them in a massive hole. Not to mention that Villanova is No. 1 in the east and a Top 5 team in pretty much everyone’s Top 25. Nova is a great team, too.

Don’t forget too that Edmonds was in his second game as a Division I football player. Edmonds has gotten scarily better from week to week. Does anyone honestly think he’s not that good, and Lehigh’s D made him look like an MVP for no reason? I can believe that in regards to some of the players LU has played, but not him.

I think when all is said and done Fordham is going to be there, my opinion. I don’t see Bucknell beating them, nor Colgate, and I think they can be 10-1 and eyeing a seed when the playoffs roll around.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

As for the offense, the problem has always has been consistency. There were two critical times during the game, their first possessions of the 1st and 2nd halves, when a nice 16-play, 80 yard LU touchdown drive that eats up 8 minutes off the clock could have made the game interesting. Instead, they were quick 3-and-outs that resulted in punts and touchdown plays for Fordham. As decent as the offense was the rest of the way (and I agree with badjnj, there is definitely some good to build off of here), those 3-and-outs were far and away the most frustrating part of the day for me. Lehigh REALLY needed to do something there, and didn’t.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by  lfnadmin.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Cobbler
    Seriously think Lawson was bad ? Actually he played very well. He had 13 tackles
    Fordham is not the same team as early in season. Nebrich healthier now and Edmonds in full stride for 2000 yds.
    O inconsistency is I agree a big issue. My point is why?
    Some has to be on Nick’s hesitancy on reads. A more major factor is our schemes. Limited by Nick’s inexperience with passing offense. Perhaps,but wouldn’t limiting the reads he has to make be more productive. Since,I dont sit in meetings,I can only speculate on the O we see on the field. Is it terrible? Good Lord no. Is it as good as it can be and we need it to be. Again no. But what I see is a potluck offense that needs to be better. Andy cannot leave it to Folmar to fix it.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Lawson’s emergence at safety has kept the defense from being more of a mess, IMO. I don’t think that showed so much this week but it will through the rest of the season.

Shore_dad
    Participant

The D played better in the second half in part because they finally started stuffing the box instead of playing a mindless 3-4 without the proper personnel to play that system. Also add in that the game was over by the start of the 3rd qtr and the D was bound to look better as Fordham was essentially in cruise control.

Who on the D-staff is worth keeping? The LB coaching is truly awful. I don’t care if the kids are under-sized, slow or young. Not being in position to make plays is 100% coaching. These kids have played LB before they should know when to commit and when to stay home especially with coaching help. I lost count on how many plays there wasn’t a LB to be found on the side of the field where the play occurred.

Why a terrible secondary is left on an island is cause for dismissal.. immediately. The CB’s aren’t capable of covering any receiver in man coverage. The safety’s can’t tackle, don’t recognize when help is needed and play way too far off the line when they’re rolled up against short distance on 3rd down. The corners playing 10yds off the receivers on 3rd and short is a joke. They’re just lucky that Fordham didn’t need to take advantage or they would have the way they played. That is partially talent or lack of and largely coaching.

I don’t see the D line getting any push whatsoever. A stalemate to them seems like a win, which isn’t necessarily wrong in a 3-4, but not on every down and as someone else said the lack of vision where the QB or ball carrier is running is an issue.

Other than Villanova Lehigh put up the most points against Fordham and looked decent at times. The WR’s didn’t help with way too many drops, the play-calling at times was curious given the score, it seemed like they were just trying to get execution for the future games rather than try to compete and move the chains.

I don’t know where to get press conference clips but if anyone is using the excuse of Fordham having more Scholarship players that’s just a cop out for not being prepared. Better talent will win but proper coaching keeps it from being the blowout it was until garbage time when Fordham didn’t press as much.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.