American – PL Semifinal

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball American – PL Semifinal

This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  LU65 12 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

LUHoops00
    Participant

Hawktalker – yes the SC put back at end of 1st half was huge. That play is hilarious cause that was his only playing time of the half and you know Dr and staff said “SC, go in, stand in corner, and if they double CJ just wait for ball and shoot it.” Guarantee no one thought he’d come weak side for put back at buzzer, haha, very heady play by the frosh though, give him his due.

BU killed Laf, here we go again, let’s get this one on Wednesday boys.

norcalfan
    Participant

Well well well. I am so pleased with this win. I am especially pleased to see Greiner with his groove back. This was a total team effort. DEFENSE AND TEAMWORK were clicking along with great OFFENSE. My seniors were hanging tough. Lot’s of work ahead with BU in the finals. What a great season LU. Congratulations to CJ on his 2000 points. Let’s keep it going at BU. Maybe the NBA Scouts are a motivating factor. Who cares what it is as long as CJ can bring it. He has a supporting cast! Rest up, will be a great games at BU.

LUHoops00
    Participant

I just want to go back to the whole BJB thing one more time, this is really amazing, what a story. In the last 7 LU games, BJ is averaging roughly 20 minutes a game, we’re 7-0, and he has been a huge piece of this puzzle. A great defender who can defend multiple positions, and who has rebounded really well for his size, and hit open 3 point jumpers with some mixed in slashes to the hoop. Had one nice drive today for a bucket and another one that he got free and dished to open teammate but a foul was called. Think about this for a second, in previous 7 games before he got inserted into line-up, he had a total of 4 minutes and 1 shot….that, right there, is pretty amazing. Linsanity- not quite, but a great story for a good kid who stuck with it and whose hard work has paid off.

norcalfan
    Participant

I don’t mean to beat a dead horse here on BJ. When LU announced he was coming, I was excited, then disappointed that he did not play. He is nice addition to the bench players. He seems to be able to do a little of everything. Add him to the mix, LU is pretty darn good. Next year, oh man! Let’s hope CJ is hanging around. If CJ decides to go pro, LU will have a nice group of players left behind. Defense wins games!!

LU65
    Participant

Guys, your comments are right-on! This game was special and one I was pleased and lucky enough to attend along with my son and a bunch of guys/gals from the 2006 and 2007 class-era who, by the way, hosted a little tailgate party prior to the start of play. As if planned, the group of 10 made it into the arena at 1:58pm and took up residency in the front two rows of the nearly-vacant student section (damn Spring Break). For the next two hours they let it be known who they loved as they led cheers that echoed throughout the arena. Their favorite was the classic “L – U….L – U” while pointing to and involving fans – most family members sitting behind the bench in Section 3. It brought back memories of the raucous playoffs down in Upper Marlboro, Maryland that many of these same students attended.

As for the game itself, here are a few quick observations and points not referenced to date……….

AU travels well
    Section 5 was filled and highly vocal. I’m estimating 150-200 fans made the 3 1/2 hour trip north. With them can their pep-band and cheerleaders. Nice job, AU.

He’s back!
    How’s a point a minute sound? That’s what Holden Greiner gave you (14 pts in 13 minutes) yesterday. Toss in 4 boards and a few fist pumps and you get the idea this one-time started is, in fact, B-A-C-K. The Michigan standout last started, as you would have it, against AU on February 9th, going 1-6 in 19 minutes. I think his ankle is just fine now and add to the storehouse of forwards ready to compete along side of Knutson and seniors Adams, Mineri and Hamilton.

The Captain’s Corner
    Jordan Hamilton is loving it and looking every bit like Ojo burying 3’s from the edges of play. He’s 5 for 9 in the Playoffs and a most reliable defender to boot.

BJ’s Stuff
    It’s not often (can’t every remember it happening at Stabler) that a defensive play gets a “Standing O.” It happened yesterday when 6’3″ BJ skied to stuff 6’11” Wroblicky. Had the game been between national powers, it would have been a Sports Center highlight. As for the Boston U. transfer and pride of the Jersey Shore, he’s perhaps the biggest story – aside from CJ – to hit campus. Since the Bucknell game back on February 16th, Mr. Bailey has gone 16 for 25 (half of them 3’s) averaging 8 ppg in his 20.4 mpg. For those who need the reminder: BJ’s first point in a Lehigh uniform came on Nov. 20th against Eastern Kentucky. He has seen ever-increasing spot duty during league play, as the good Dr. has brought him along slowly. It has been a long road to recovery. But, I dare say BJ has arrived. Just in time.

Balance
    9 score while 8 see double-digit minutes and the other 6, based on their bench demeanor, don’t seem to mind. Now that’s teamwork!

Attendance
    LU closed out its home season of 13 games (4 OOC, 7 PL regular season play, 2 PL tournament play) with 17,320 spectators in attendance. That’s a per game mark of 1,332 – a 43% jump over last’s year mark of 931. No, it’s not BU-type numbers but a nice showing nonetheless. Good work Rich Hass!

CJ says it best
    In his post-game interview, CJ sums it up perfectly when he is quoted as saying, “Just gotta defend and everything else will take care of itself.”

See you at Sojka on Wednesday!

LUHoops00
    Participant

One other thing to pay attention to the next few days til our battle on Wednesday, and that is high seeds from other mid-major conferences. In particular, root for them all to lose. Reason, the more upsets in mid-major tourneys means lower rpi teams winning their championship, meaning that if we win we’ll have better shot at being better seed then them. I think LU or BU are probably most likely to be 15 seed, but however, check out tonights scores and you see the following upset: Middle Tennessee, a projected 14 seed by Lunardi, bowed out of their tourney! More of that and our league winner could get a 14.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Never say never, but I personally see Lehigh or Bucknell in the 14-16 range no matter what happens. It would take a disastrous run of midmajor upsets like Long Beach State, Davidson, and Denver to have the PL winner move up appreciably, and it seems like there are enough low-RPI teams to keep them out of the PIGs as well.

No outcome would boost the PL winner more than Long Beach State or Davidson getting upset in their tourney.

norcalfan
    Participant

It would nice for a PL team to get to a second game in the NCAA. Maybe people would take a little more notice of the PL.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Yes, to be specific, I think either one of us are clear of a 16, and either a 14 or 15….I’m pushing for a 14, cause I think there is a big difference between the 2 and 3 seeds this year..

LU65
    Participant

Along the lines of what LUHoops00 was talking about, I see that Iona (MAAC Regular Season Champ with RPI 38) loss last night in their league semis and won’t be representing their conference (higher rated and regarded over the Patriot) in the upcoming NCAAs. That honor will go to either Fairfield (RPI 126) or Loyola-Md (RPI 88). Logic here, I guess, is to cheer for Fairfiled. Iona, if not given an at-large bid to the NCAAs, will go to the NIT.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.