American U. – Game 13

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball American U. – Game 13

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Pardon my skidish nature. After the Bucknell game I still have serious agita when we play an incredible first half on defense and yet we’re only up 14 with the entire second half to go. We could have been up by 20+ if several of those in and out shots go. And with the 3 point shot, 14 points is easily overcome. I stood for the last 7 minutes at home hoping we’d finally blow them out, yet they hung around and hung around. Further heightening my concern was the broadcast team singing our praises throughout the game which is always an omen for a collapse. Frankly if I’m an American fan I’m not happy at all with CBSSports and all the Lehigh hype.

That said, we are learning. No panic with the slow first half start, and KR & AP calmly sank 10 straight foul shots to close it out when AU got with in 6 at the end. And frankly, 7-1 in the last 8 is an accomplishment in this very balanced league. So I guess its on to Holy Cross. And more agita.

toddcudd
    Participant

I noticed the LU love during the coverage too – and didn’t mind a bit! Ha! I think Spatola is becoming a Lehigh fan…

LU65
    Participant

What was proven last night was, among other things, that we can play and win at anyone’s tempo. Going into the contest, we were rated and viewed as one of the most up-tempo teams in the nation – actually #51. Our opponent, American, entered the game as the 351st or slowest paced offense in the country. No matter. We hit on just 20 field goals (same number as American) – our lowest total of the year and still walked away with a “W.” This time the credit goes to all 8 who played in the sense that they each participating in finding the quality shot and, by so doing, each was credited with one or more assist. Of course, knocking down 87% of our free throws didn’t hurt either.

Congrats to all! Now, on to Holy Cross!

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Frustrating one for me since I don’t get CBS Sports Network and couldn’t find an online stream. Great foul shooting #’s and love the continued contributions of MS and JC. Really like the way Reed has brought this team along throughout the season.

lehigh90
    Participant

They played really good basketball for the last 15 minutes of the first half. Really shared the ball, inside and out and shot it very well. Also very solid on the defensive end and off the glass. Second half was a bit disappointing, how they let American hang around. I was looking for a push to a 20 point game over lead, but we couldn’t get it past 12-14, then American slowly crept back in. Second half possessions in the last 10 minutes were just lacking ball movement that we saw in the first. I don’t see a ton of talent in that American lineup, and definitely no go to scoring.

I thought JC was tough off the glass, but I just scream every time he bombs away from 3. 4 more misses last night, out of 4, and some at bad times, early in the clock when we didn’t need them. We have good perimeter shooters, and he is not one. I like when they go to more of a 3 out 2 in setup, with TK and JG/JC on the block or high low, with the 3 guards outside. When we show more of a 4 out set up, I don’t like JC moving outside. And, with a pivot like TK, we will never be in a true 5 out setup.

MS gave a nice boost in the first half. Shot it well from deep, and very active with his feet on defense of the perimeter. I’m not sure BA is really buying into the ball movement theme that has been winning them games. He clearly has a shoot first mentality. In TK’s interview after the game, he focused on the sharing of the ball, ball movement and inside and outside passing. The other guards clearly get it, BA not as much. He didn’t attempt a shot last night, but on every touch it is head down looking to drive, get bottled up, then pass it. I think that is why his minutes are slipping to MS.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.