Another scholarship???

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Another scholarship???

This topic contains 51 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  LUHoops00 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Just to play devil’s advocate on this. I’m not saying we are going to find a Muscala, McNaughton, or Foyle type guy right now, but here is an example of an uncommitted big guy still available in 2012. He is from Northfield Mt. Hermon, who has a 2013 big guy that we are recruiting along with the rest of the PL and Ivy’s, that has a very strong academic reputation.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/recruits/player/1453/Lucas-Van-Nes.php

He took an unofficial visit to Fairfield over the weekend, so he’s still on the market.

I have no idea about particulars of scholarship situation, academics, etc. but IF there is a guy out there that makes sense for LU, I hope the staff is on top of it and trying to make it happen for next year (and the following 3), to give us a true 5 man when the match-ups demand it.

lehigh90
    Participant

I’m sure van Nes was very much on their radar, as he is on a lot of teams’ radars in the NE. Plus, he plays in Chuku’s conference, no? He is also English like Chuku, so I would think they know each other. His 6’11” brother plays for Fairfield, so that seems like a likely destination for him. I know Maine was in on him as well, as well as HC and Ivys.
    Another scenario could play out with coaches being fired. Once a program fires their coach, and it is that time of year, a lot of guys become available again. There is a 7’0″ stud African center who prepped at Peddie in NJ for a PG year, this season. He, surprisingly, signed at SMU, while holding a ton of big time D1 offers. Matt Doherty had a bit of an African PG pipeline at SMU. With Doherty’s firing, the sharks are circling in the water for him. I would expect him to dump SMU and go elsewhere. Maybe a guy Lehigh was involved with sees coaching turnover, and Lehigh can jump back in.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

LU staff has been at NMH open gyms and games to scout Peter Miller ’13, so no doubt they know who van Ness is. NMH is in the same conference as Kimball Union, although in a different division. I noticed the British connection too, maybe he and Chuku played on some youth teams together. However, I was really using van Ness more as an example that there might still be some bigs out there, rather than an actual target.

I totally agree about guys re-opening their recruitment as the coaching carousel picks up. There could be some opportunities there.

These are the times when it would be great if Lehigh had a beat writer that would call Dr. Reed and ask him to clarify the scholarship situation and see if they have any plans to offer it this spring. Kentucky fans don’t have to speculate about who is on scholarship, it would be reported everywhere!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by StablerBum StablerBum.

lehigh90
    Participant

Agree that we need more info. We don’t even really have any confirmation that KM is finished from the Athletic Dept or Basketball team. All we have is a blog from a newspaper, with no named sources.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Wow – this board is taking off, really love the effort boys, fantastic. I’ll try to target my responses to folks who wrote back post-my initial post earlier on this topic:

90 – we’ve had big bodies before, mgebroff, gourlay, safstrom, all 6’10+ with big bodies like KM. I was high on KM, really is. I saw most of his minutes last year and he had a really nice touch down low on the block, showed some nice moves inside, I’m really saddened if this news is indeed true. I was looking for him to be a 20+ MPG and clogger/rebounder/space eater who you could dump ball down to as he showed nice post moves. He could have been a 7/5 guy with 5 fouls to give from center spot and pushing the Freases of the world further out of the post leaving the guys doubling less ground to travel down low for the double. He would have let GK go to the more natural 4 for a good part of the game, which allows us to match bigger conference “big” lineups. Also gives you another post presence so if outside game isn’t working you can dump to GK and KM. This really hurts LU next year. Agree, more “talent” coming in then going out, but we needed the KM to fill the front court with another grinder/big body for next year. JM/JA were huge heart and soul guys in front court for us this year.

Per your line-up for next year, I’ll be shocked if CB starts early, maybe by end of year if his hard work pays off, love the rodman analogy, that would be great for us if he can do that. I think we’re more likely to go MM, CJ, BJB or DC, HG, GK….3 guard line-up, get out and run more…Man if Reed and staff didn’t see that we could run on duke whenever we wanted in transition and doesn’t permanently try to speed up the games as I’ve begged for for 2 years now by pressing/trapping and running with our athletic lineup that we possess 1-5, its a mistake. Especially if we can’t get a 5 to come in late, we got to run and press and trap and helter/skelter it and win in the 80’s…

Agree with you all, HG is a returning starter and huge impact player for next year. I expect really good things from a healthy and motivated HG. Housenik also said JC game compares to CB, which is a joke from what I’ve seen, they’re very different.

As for using the extra scholly, we all agree, we need to use it asap.

Good job SBum on some options, and food for thought, there are options out there. For petes sake the number 1 and 2 players in the country are uncommitted now. With our recent publicity, I’d got to think we’re an attractive home for an unsigned big who you can guarantee playing time. Shoot high, see what happens. The point we all agree on it is worth the risk to try to bring in a 5 for next year cause of the potential for a special season. We need legit 5, no 220 lbs guys, 6’10 and atleast 240. They’re out there, we got to capitalize and strike while iron is hot.

BIGGEST QUESTION NOT ASKED YET IN THIS THREAD – KM didn’t just make this decision on a whim, he must have been thinking about it for a while, and kept staff in the loop. SO, with Reed realizing if he has another big year next year that he can cash in the CJ chip and move on to a bigger job, YOU’D HAVE TO THINK HE’S BEEN SCOURING COUNTRY THE LAST MONTH FOR A 5 MAN TO BRING IN ASAP TO MAXIMIZE RETURN ON NEXT YEAR?????????? He’s a DR for a reason, why sit back and hold scholly back if you can win big next year and potentially jump if he chooses to. For that reason, I have to think we use this scholly up and sign someone who either de-commits due to coaching change or a late Sr. unsigned. FYI looked at WAGNER incoming recruits, no bigs to poach.

lehigh90
    Participant

Agree with everything you said 00. In my earlier post I said we haven’t had a big guy who could play in last 25 years. Mgebroff was closest, I guess, but Safstrom and Gourlay weren’t players. That fifth starter is going to be interesting. I would love 3 guard with DC in there, but remember even CJ wasn’t a starter day one. I think it took about 5 games. Reed is a conservative guy. I think he starts a conventional lineup and 4 man, which is why I am thinking CB by default.

TMH
    Participant

Being the contrarian that I am, I will respectfully disagree with most of the posters here. If the purpose of trying to get a big man now is a knee-jerk reaction to Frease’s play against us, I suggest we save the scholly and use it to get someone better next year when the recruiting field is far more open and Lehigh’s exposure is at it’s best.
    Unless someone falls into our lap like a redshirting player on a BCS squad or a foreign big man, the type of player you want will likely not exist athis point in the process. Even Kenny Frease who was the #42 recruit in the nation per Rivals did not contribute that much as a freshman and being an A-10 watcher, I can tell you he very much slowed down a running Xavier squad over the years.
    As pointed out earlier, we had several big bodies on our squad over the last 5-10 years but none contributed to any great extent.

LUHoops00
    Participant

I appreciate your post TMH, and you are certainly welcome to your opinion, but let me see if I can put more time and thought into this reply and rationale to needing a center NOW.

It isn’t a knee-jerk reaction to Frease as much as it is filling out the missing KM scholarship with another center, a position that we don’t have on next year’s roster. We have a ton of 3s and 4s, but no 5s. Maneri was huge in his role off bench fighting bigs and grabbing boards as a big bodied 4, and JC and JG are probably not the big bangers as already reported on here. When you look at our 12 schollies going into next year, the position breakdown is below, so point is with one open and with next year’s potential to be so solid/special/once in lifetime type season, you have to use it now to fill the one area of weakness. You got 7 of our 12 schollie under 6’4, seven, and the rest are all 6’9 or under. We’re small for a DI team now minus KM, so we need size for next year. Look at that front court, you got 2 guys who have played before, 2 freshman and a sophomore who played 142 minutes for the season. We’re young, inexperienced, and small. Time is now to bring in another guy, and hope between CB and 3 Frosh Bigs that 2 break right. The Front Court is the missing piece right now, it was a ? mark going into this year but we saw Adams do it 2 years ago and knew Maneri could step in and give spot minutes, and both those played out exactly as we’d hope. Front court next year huge huge hole right now minus KM.

1s and 2s – MM, CJ, BJB, DC, SC, SC, AD – all 6’4 or under
    3s and 4s – JC, JG, HG, GK, CB
    5 – 0

LUHoops00
    Participant

So the coaching carousel continues, trying to keep up with it is almost impossible. Anyway, big news today from pittsburgh, in that Duquesne fired their head coach. So when someone gets fired, especially in the state of PA, I’ve been trying to keep up with the recruits who have committed to that school, find potential 4/5s who could maybe decommit. He probably would have 10 other schools with scholly at a level higher then PL offer tomorrow, but worth a wish!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-03-23/duquesne-surprisingly-fires-coach-ron-everhart

And not that he is a big bodied center, but I followed this kid a bit the last year or two and he would be so solid in the PL, Donovon Jack, from Reading PA. Legit 6’9 though, nice body that will put on probably 30 pounds in the next 4 years, and extremely mobile with nice touch. Wants to play in up tempo system and since he is reading kid, if I’m reed, I load up the LU caravan tomorrow morning with CJ, Gabe and Mackey and my assistants with that scholarship offer and give it to him on the spot with a dvd of Duke win. Video below of his talents and espn scouting profile.

Bison137 – I believe you guys were in on him, any additional information on this kid, I think you guys offered right? Any thoughts on his talents, think he could decommit at all?

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/127438/donovon-jack

TMH
    Participant

LUHoops00,
    My son is currently near the end of a 6 year program at Duquesne, so I’ve been following that program pretty intensely.
    1.) Donovon Jack is the real deal. Although skinny, he is the protypical post player. Unlike Chuku, he rarely shoots 3s although his % is good. At one point he made 43 FGs in a row over a 6/7 game span. He is an above average rebounder/shot blocker and is known for his defense. There has been nothing from Jack about his plans and I suspect he will wait until a new coach is announced to decide. He would look great in a Lehigh uniform although if he would leave because of an unsettled coaching situation, there is also a lot of speculation here. I also know nothing about his academics.
    2.) Ironically, the straw o perhaps boulder that broke Everhart’s back there was a pending transfer of their best player who has a similar name and story of someone we know. Everhart recruited TJ McConnell when he was a 5-2 freshman. He grew 3-4 inches a year but continued to be too small for big programs to take serious looks. McConnell scored 1,000 points in his senior year, 2,400 in his career and was named PA Player of the Year. He got a taste of watching an NCAA tournament in Pittsburgh this year and wants to get there himself. His destination is unknown.
    3.) When Everhart was interviewing for the Penn St. job, it was mentioned that he was currently making $450K. Just saying.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Cool TMH, keep your ear to the ground, maybe with transfers and coaching departure Jack will reopen up the recruiting process. Yes, he is back to the basket guy, good post moves and pretty athletic big guy, with 30 lbs easily added to that frame. One can dream anyway…what are the rules with this, can a coach call a kid like that who is committed, I think the answer is no…but if he decommits, does he become fair game then right away, or is there set window that reopens?

bison137- again looking for your take on rules with a situation like this.

lehigh90
    Participant

I don’t see any possible way you land Jack. He held offers from Wash St, Depaul, BC, G Mason, Lasalle, among others. I think that is why Bison backed off on him. Lafayette recruited him the hardest in the PL. Plus, I am not sure he us a true 5. Yes, he us 6’9″ but only 200 lbs. He is smaller than Gabe. Would live to have him, but with ACC, PAC 12 and A10 in mix, it would be tough. If you think you could land him, you might as well shoot for Tony Chennault, the Philly PG, who is coming home from Wake Forest.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote from above:
    And not that he is a big bodied center, but I followed this kid a bit the last year or two and he would be so solid in the PL, Donovon Jack, from Reading PA. Legit 6’9 though, nice body that will put on probably 30 pounds in the next 4 years, and extremely mobile with nice touch. Wants to play in up tempo system and since he is reading kid, if I’m reed, I load up the LU caravan tomorrow morning with CJ, Gabe and Mackey and my assistants with that scholarship offer and give it to him on the spot with a dvd of Duke win. Video below of his talents and espn scouting profile.

Bison137 – I believe you guys were in on him, any additional information on this kid, I think you guys offered right? Any thoughts on his talents, think he could decommit at all?

– – – – – – –

Bison137:
    When Jack committed to Duquesne, he said his final five were Duq, St. Joes, St. Bona, Belmont, and Davidson. Lafayette recruited him very hard but was apparently not a finalist.

As for Bucknell, they apparently made him an offer very early in the game. The reason it was withdrawn is not who the competition was but rather that Bucknell’s last available scholarship was spoken for at the end of March 2011 when PF Dominic Hoffman committed. That was long before Jack even had most of his scholarship offers.

P.S. I wouldn’t recommend that caravan with all the assistants and the top players. There would be so many NCAA violations -perhaps four – that LU would probably be required to stop recruiting him and would probably be penalized a scholarship by the NCAA.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Bison137 Bison137.

LUHoops00
    Participant

90 – Yes, next to zero shot, just saying this is the stuff the staff needs to be paying attention to. But, how many schools still have scholarships available for this coming fall, not many I’d wager.

Bison – so what are the rules if a kid whose coach leaves re-opens up his recruitment? How does that work, could staff then go visit with the kid/family?

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Jack can only re-open his recruitment IF Duquesne gives him permission. If they don’t, then no-one can legally have contact with him. If it turns out he wants to leave (and I have no idea if that is the case), I seriously doubt Duquesne will give him permission until after a new coach is on-board and has time to try to re-recruit him.

If it did turn out at some point that Duquesne released him from his LOI, then LU could recruit him, subject to all NCAA regulations. Among other things, that means off-campus contact can only be during certain time periods. The next permissible time to contact Jack (or anyone else) off-campus is on the Thursday after the NCAA championship game. NCAA regulations also would preclude the entire staff from visiting him simultaneously, and also would preclude any players from visiting him at any time. Also LU cannot present him with a DVD of the Duke game or anything else.

One other thing. There are many schools that either have an available scholarship right now or else who will readily make one available for the right person – either by simply non-renewing the scholarship of an existing player or strongly encouraging someone to leave. I have no doubt at all that St Joes or St. Bona would have a scholarship available if he wanted to go there. So would the majority of schools in the A-10, CAA, or MAAC, among others.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.