Another scholarship???

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Another scholarship???

This topic contains 51 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  LUHoops00 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

Here is the latest on Donovon Jack

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=375177

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

It’s an interesting article, but the author (and perhaps Jack’s parents) don’t seem to understand that he can only decommit if Duquesne tears up his letter of intent. Until they agree to do that – and it’s unlikelyit will happen for awhile – then he can’t even talk to other teams.

lehigh90
    Participant

I don’t think it is all that complicated. No school is going to bind him to his LOI if the coach is gone that recruited him. After all, the player just wouldn’t show up come August. They can’t force him to go there. So, he will certainly be free to go elsewhere. It sounds like there is no way this kid is showing up in Pittsburgh to play for Duquesne. He was foolish to go there in the first place with the offers he apparently held. Duquesne is pretty weak in hoops and academics.

norcalfan
    Participant

This would be a nice find for LU. One question, sorry if has been answered. Is there a scholarship for BJ? If so, where will LU find one for the recruit in question.
    I love the rap song regarding beating Duke and the shirts are cool.

LUHoops00
    Participant

90 – agreed, no way this kid ends up in the ‘burgh, not a chance. Probably next to zero shot he ends up at LU, but with three players transferring, the guy who recruited him gone, and no new coach named he’d be insane to go there….

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote: “I don’t think it is all that complicated. No school is going to bind him to his LOI if the coach is gone that recruited him. After all, the player just wouldn’t show up come August. They can’t force him to go there. So, he will certainly be free to go elsewhere. It sounds like there is no way this kid is showing up in Pittsburgh to play for Duquesne.”

– – – – – – –

While I agree it is likely that he will eventually get a release if the new coach fails to convince him to stay, it is not quite as automatic as you imply. There have been a number of cases in the past decade where D1 programs refused to release a player from his LOI. If that were to happen, he obviously can refuse to show up. But then what? No other school is allowed to give him a scholarship at that point – so he can either pay his own way to another school for a year or simply not go to college. However if he does not go to college for a year, he still will have to sit a year when he does enroll somewhere else. Also in either case, he will lose a year of eligibility – which is a big deal for most players. Thus it is a very tough choice if the school won’t give a release – and most players in that situation end up going where they signed.

norcalfan
    Participant

IMHO, if the coach quits or is dismissed, the coach/school is quitting on the player. Why can’t the player do the same? When the kid was recruited, he believed the coach would be there when he arrived.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A question, when can a Player declare for the draft? And when must he withdraw? My gut tells me that CJ’s comment advising all to be patient about the NBA may refer to this schedule not his ultimate aim of staying for his senior year.

lehigh90
    Participant

Deadline to declare for draft is 4/29.

Assuming you do not hire an agent, deadline to withdraw is 6/18.

Will address CJ status in new post.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote: “IMHO, if the coach quits or is dismissed, the coach/school is quitting on the player. Why can’t the player do the same? When the kid was recruited, he believed the coach would be there when he arrived.”

– – – – – – –

A lot of people would agree – but the NCAA rules do not. I’d guess one reason for requiring a school to release their signees is to help prevent the possibility of a team not having enough players on their roster to field a competitive team. Another reason is to allow the new coach to have time to re-recruit the signee and convince him to stay with the program.

One lesson – which likely will never be learned – is that a player should base his decision on a lot more than just the coach. The Patriot League, for example, has generally not lost a lot of players when coaching changes have occurred:

– Bucknell did not have any signees decommit when Flannery retired, and no players already on the roster transferred out.
    – Lehigh had one signee (out of 4?) back out when Taylor left for Ball State. No players transferred.
    – Holy Cross did not have any players decommit when Kearney was fired (although two left within a year) and did not have any players already on the roster transfer out.
    – Colgate had two signees decommit when Emmett Davis was fired, but had no existing players transfer out.

LU06
    Participant

90 – Looks like you pulled those draft dates from nba.com right? I see the same dates on their site. However, the Lehigh article, as well as others I have read in the past, say CJ must withdraw by the day before the spring signing period, which is April 11th this year. So we should know by the 10th whether or not he is returning for his senior year. I remember when they changed that rule last year as it significantly decreased the period in which entrants could get evaluated before they had to make a decision.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Yes, that is correct. The new NCAA rule requires him to withdraw by the first day of the late signing period.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

PL schools can only get lucky in getting a quality big man ala Navy with David Robinson and Colgate with Adonyle Foyle. Heck, we got CJ because he was so short in high school he was overlooked.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Gee, I dont see a problem. UCONN just released Oriokhi. He can transfer anywhere now. Yup , just what we need a tempermental big

LUHoops00
    Participant

Can someone commit to work on finding out if we KM is definitely done and if we are looking to fill that open schollie? I asked tom housenick but he never rersponded, so I am out of ideas short of emailing reed, who has no idea who I am and who I am sure wouldn’t answer me. It would be great to know if we had an open spot and if staff was working to fill it.

Other then that, its just waiting on CJ for another week.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.