Are the next three winnable?

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Are the next three winnable?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by RichH RichH 14 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

After today you have to wonder what the psyche/mentality of this team will be. Georgetown, Yale and Bucknell….all SHOULD be W’s in the past…but now??? This is absolutely awful. I don’t know where to start. So I won’t…ala Billy Crystal…

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

"ngineer" wrote: After today you have to wonder what the psyche/mentality of this team will be. Georgetown, Yale and Bucknell….all SHOULD be W’s in the past…but now??? This is absolutely awful. I don’t know where to start. So I won’t…ala Billy Crystal…

After sitting through another disaster at Goodman, who really cares. Counting on Georgetown and Bucknell to save the season. Yippee. Attendance is awful, fans are fed up with the coaching staff, and the product on the field is quickly approaching comical. I got a word of the week for Chuck: EMBARRASSING! :oops: However, I sure Mr. Politically Correct wouldn’t have the guts to use it.

In fact Chuck should be thrilled since he was promoting the new Lehigh offensive philosophy as the wildcat. We all saw enough of that crap today. :evil: And don’t give me the 55 yard run. All in all it did more to kill the offense than to help it.

The only game that matters anymore is Lafayette. Maybe Andy can deliver a 1-10 season to ensure that he gets his a$$ fired with a Lafayette win as a going away gift to the fans since he single handedly has destroyed a once proud program in four short years.

LUEngineer
    Participant

I echo the dislike of the wildcat offense. I believe we should not need gimmicks to win games and also should not need to keep looking at defense setup to wait to call plays. Make a gameplan and let the QB call an audible if things look funny—-get the coaches out of micro managing the QB.

Both tactics currently employed by the coaches are momentum killers. Lum completes a great 15 yard pass for a first down and he goes to the sidelines for the wildcat run up the middle? Talk about killing the rythym of the game and letting the Qb build off his last play!!

I believe Lum is the better QB despite his errors today in his first full game. Let him start the game against Georgetown and keep the wildcat in the closet.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

I agree that despite the ‘big play’ today with Colvin early, the "wildcat" does appear to mess with the rhythm of the offense. Moreover, if Lehigh students are suppposed to be smart, let’s stop wasting time and doing the ‘pause’ where everyone looks to the sideline. Let the QB call an audible based on what HE sees and not the idiot in the press box. "Micro-managing" the QB is exactly what has occured in football. Not just Lehigh, but you see it all over. I think we’re screwing up our players more than coaching them at times. Moreover, we send in certain packages and everyone in the stands knows what play is being called. The screen to Barket today was telegraphed and Harvard blew it up creating the fumble.

Jackson
    Participant

Agree, who really cares now. Andy did too much smoke blowing to be 0-4 at this point. A national championship, 4 yrs. with all his players and we’ll see what a great recruiter he is ! The one that really turns me off is the preseason quote of "you are really going to like what you see on the field this year". YIKES !!!! 3 QB’s already. This is a poorly coached team. The offense has been struggling with this O.C. for so long….why can’t anyone see it, but the fans ? The defense is only average, when they are at their best, and that also has been a poorly managed unit during Andy’s tenure. And speaking of fans…To have 5,000 for Harvard on a nice fall afternoon is about 9,000 short of what it should have been. The Georgetown attendance should be pitiful. My hopes were up, and I was really pulling for Andy at the start of this season. Now that the smoke has cleared, I really don’t care about the next 3 games.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Geez , forgot about the O robot formation :cry: So many teams doing it I just did not notice. Brown can now further screw up the O not only in practice but right up to the snap of the ball. I like the widcat used effectively. Why would anyone think our OC could use that any better than everything else he has tried. :x . He seems to like completing a few passes then take Lum out get him out of sync then send him back in. A 1st time starter. Geez what a jerk

LU65
    Participant

Hawkineer has suggested that Chuck employ the "Embarrassing." Might I also add a few others for consideration. They are: feeble, spiritless, anemic, uncertain, flat, disappointing, horrid, floundering, horrific, pathetic, lifeless, and cringe-inducing. While each may fit the situation at hand, my favorite would be: MISMANAGED.

Historian
    Participant

Unfortunately, during the Coen era Lehigh has managed to lose countless winnable games, by narrow margins. Note that Princeton lost 38-0 to Columbia on Saturday.

The-Last-Engineer
    Participant

This would be far less painful if there was something entertaining for both the fans and the players going on out there. Other than a very loud profanity shouted by Coen at the refs for swallowing the whistle on an interference call, I didn’t notice anyone on the sidelines getting fired up. Where is the fire?

Forget about the many legit questions about the on-the-field decisions and philosophies of the team (running QB’s waltzing through the massive holes in the 3-man front, every RB and WR getting the corner on the D, the absence of the TE and FB in the O, the ridiculous Macarena dance from the 3 clipboard jockeys on the sideline…). If this team is not showing any fire, then we have no reason for optimism.

In short, this sucks… but we could still very possibly go 4-2 in the PL. Maybe a solid win over GTown will help the team get back on track. Not that I have any great faith in a solid win these days. But I would sure love to see a solid effort.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree on fire, I think , but kids did put out a lot of effort, certainly more than the Offense coaches. In a 3-4 ,LMen are not primary tacklers , LBs are . Line’s job on runs is to keep OL off them.
    Macarena dance great visual :lol:

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

"LU65" wrote: Hawkineer has suggested that Chuck employ the "Embarrassing." Might I also add a few others for consideration. They are: feeble, spiritless, anemic, uncertain, flat, disappointing, horrid, floundering, horrific, pathetic, lifeless, and cringe-inducing. While each may fit the situation at hand, my favorite would be: MISMANAGED.

Man, I thought that I was frustrated and angry. :shock:

By the way, all of these words including EMBARRASSINg should apply to the administration, AD, and coaching staff and not the players. These kids are better than the cards they have been dealt by the idiots running the football program.

LUEngineer
    Participant

All posters seem to be of the same mind including the embarrassing play calling where everyone in our section of the stands knew that a screen was coming on the play to Barket—sure fooled Harvard as well!!

The coaches need to let Lum run the offense and get rid of the Macarena dancers(great analogy) and send in plays with subs like the old days– if they even need to send in plays at all. Let Lum call audibles based upon his feeling for the defense not some beauracrat up in the press box.

There are too many talented players on the field to let these coaches screw them up—too many managers telling talented people what to do like the government trying to run the Auto companies.

LUEngineer
    Participant

Forgot to mention how embarrassing it is to listen to the assistant coaches constant loud foul mouthing and pounding in the press box to the point they are heard in the President’s box below.

True lack of professionalism on the part of the assistant coaches who are calling all these bad plays and nice example for the high school kids in the stands and invited guests to the President’s box.

Think maybe next time I will take my guests to the visitor side of the field rather than expose them to such behavior.

MLK
    Participant

Problem is multi faceted. Administration is apathetic and not pro athletics. Lehigh least funded in Patriot League. Sterrett fighting this for years,. Gast would like us to be Amherst rather than Duke or Stanford.
    Andy is a nice guy who is too loyal to his co-coordinators. Brown is not even a good Jr High Coach. He never played and tries to emulate what he sees on TV. Agree QB should be calling audibles. Andy has the ability to call initial plays from sideline and just use booth for info. Remember he was co-coordinator at Lehigh and Penn .
    Forget wildcat just play sound up tempo football. If you want to use Colvin use him as a wide receiver or running back.
    Defense must be coached not to show stunts and blitzes. Also to know assigments and how to tackle.
    When you have limited talent and experience stick to basics and don’t add to confusion.
    Let Lum throw to TE more. Use quick shovel passes plus slants over middle to keep defense honest .Use more play action from under center. Let him throw long . He has a gun and if picked better than a punt,

DFW-HOYA
    Participant

"MLK" wrote: Administration is apathetic and not pro athletics. Lehigh least funded in Patriot League.

Not in football.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.