Attendance

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I know the women were 5-0 coming in (major kudos to them btw) and it was “Education Day” but how in the world did the women get 4,000+ to show up last night and the men are struggling to break 1,000? Are there different marketing departments for each? Do the men do an “Education Day”? Does it rotate between the mens or womens squads each year?

TMH
    Participant

LOL, Apparently you never attended an “Education Day” event.
    I went to the Villanova game last and there were 3,900 screaming middle school children who attended free. It actually was a rousing atmosphere. The kids knew when to be loud nd they did it to perfection.

LU15
    Participant

Columbia was right after Lehigh Laf, canisuis during lehihh laf week, Mont alto the Sunday after thanksgiving- timing matters

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

True 15,but so does ease of access. Location for Stabler was hotly debated. Cost of updating and expanding Grace was the deciding issue. Poor Mr.Grace still turning in his grave over LU’s screwing up original. He gave school a blank check,smh.

LU15
    Participant

I think the attendence stat is misleading, it only counts tickets sold, and students dont buy tickets- remember they get in for free!

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Student attendance is either counted or estimated. Official attendance is not based just on tickets sold.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Bison137 Bison137.

lehigh90
    Participant

We can spin attendance any way we want, but bottom line is the student body does not support this team or Lehigh basketball. It is a disgrace not to have 1,000 students at every game.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree ,we should. Think it will pick up as team does but not as much as it should. Location sucks. Hate to say this :) but back in my day (damn that made me cringe) we just had to roll down the hill. Bball usually had 300-400,altho once Fortune hit his stride,attendance doubled. Apathy seems to extend to all sports. Wrestling does great but crowd is mostly gray not students.

toddcudd
    Participant

A tradition of winning does wonders. We just have to keep building momentum. “If you build it, they will come.”

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Back in the late 80’s with Queenan and Polaha there were regularly crowds in the 2-3,000 range. Yet, in recent past with CJ, it was tough getting much over 1,000. It’s a different time and a different culture everywhere, not just Lehigh. Lots of empty seats the other night at Lafayette’s game in their new refubished arena.

LU65
    Participant

Poor Attendance

Here are the average home attendance numbers for OOC play to date for each member of the Patriot League. Remember, our date with Villanova was not considered a home contest. Consider, too, that Navy’s game against #18 Michigan State was played in Annapolis and considered a home game for the midshipmen. As always, a tip of the hat to The Bison. They have hosted 3 dates – one of which included Penn State. But, sitting that aside, Bucknell still pulled in more than 3000 fans to see them play Marist and Mt. Saint Mary’s.

Bucknell 3462
    Navy 1950
    Lafayette 1785
    Holy Cross 1730
    American 1532
    Army 1164
    Loyola 1004
    Lehigh 664
    Boston U. 565
    Colgate 505

In case you’re wondering, Lehigh averaged a home attendance mark of 884 after our first four OOC matches last year. If prior year stats are any guide, things should improve once conference play begins. Last year, we averaged a home mark of 1,223 for the nine PL matches played at Stabler. Not great by any means and god only for a 7th place finish in the PL. Bucknell topped the list at 2,857.

Neighbor
    Participant

As we all agree, this has been discussed before. Yes, the location is a problem. About the only way to overcome that is with CONTINUOUS shuttle buses from campus locations. I refer to what ‘approximates’ cab service to Stabler. These days, few students are willing to wait more than 10 minutes IN EITHER DIRECTION. They want to ‘do’ athletics on THEIR schedule, not the school’s.

Until it’s easy for a student to arrive late, leave after just an hour, etc. they simply won’t bother. Who wants to commit themselves for several hours because there’s no other way to do it? More importantly, because there ARE many other diversions are out there.

So, how does the student transfer service operate? Are students required to wait more than 10 minutes at the curb, in the cold, in EITHER direction? I really don’t know.

toddcudd
    Participant

I’d like to know how the shuttle works too, Neighbor. When I was at LU, there were buses that continually ran between the hill and lower campus for classes during the week. Can’t help but wonder if a similar route, between the hill, dorms, and Stabler wouldn’t help on game days. Maybe that exists – but I doubt it. I seem to see posts about THE bus leaving from lower campus to Stabler – seems to imply one trip.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Nights and weekends,buses are event scheduled from what I’ve heard. Not too sure whether travel is ltd to before and after games.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.