Austin Price's Senior Season

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Austin Price's Senior Season

This topic contains 38 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by StablerBum StablerBum 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

LUHoops00
    Participant

Having grown up in upstate NY and seen first hand the talent evaluation skill that Fran has when he was at Siena, just the fact he was pretty into AP for quite some time makes me pretty confident that AP will pan out at the PL Level. Now I know you can say that is ridiculous, but Fran has pretty keen eye on talent, and he obviously saw something in AP to have put out an offer to AP only to cancel his visit just days before it was scheduled to take place cause he got the commitment he was looking for at the guard spot. Show us the video ou saw on AP from DCDS this year, here is one I posted previously, now it has a lot of jumpers but what I see from 1:11 t0 1:25 of the video is positive in terms of moving with ball and getting to the rim. Might not be a burner but either is CJ and he gets to the rim at will. He seems smooth and possesses good body control, not a herky/jerky guy at all, pretty calm and under control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXB-5dg-IGo

AP is 6’3 and 165, which sounds about the same dimensions as CJ when CJ was in high school still. He’ll fill out and get stronger, like CJ did, and I hope he is a good one for us. Nothing would surprise me from schollie number perspective at this point 90, so 10 certainly is a possibility. I’m hoping for a spring signing but who really knows at this point.

TMH
    Participant

Under when it rains.. it pours category, Price was pulled from his game today. It was listed as a head injury. I’ll assume concussion and pray that it is mild.

LU808
    LU808
    Participant

Austin Price – Just named a McDonald’s All American nominee. Congratulations !

TMH
    Participant

Very nice article on Austin Price

http://www.miprepzone.com/oakland/results.asp?ID=8776

TMH
    Participant

Nice stat filling game from Austin Price
    Detroit Country Day 79, Flint Northern 60: Country Day’s Ed Somner led with 19 points. Austin Price contributed 11 points, 11 rebounds and five steals.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Local blog interview with AP:

http://www.thedzone.net/2013/02/country-day-2013-sg-austin-price.html

He also put up some solid numbers last week against a stacked Romulus squad with at least 3 d1 seniors.

lehigh90
    Participant

What is everybody’s opinion on this kid’s role or potential role on next year’s team?  We have a bit of a logjam at his position(s).  He is listed as a combo guard but, obviously, for us, next year, his minutes will need to come at the 2 spot, as he is not going to bump MM or CS from their roles at the PG.  So, if you slot him at the 2, he is competing for minutes with SC, AD, BB, CS, and, potentially, DC, if he is back from injury.  Tough competition for a freshman.  He could project into a starter at the PG in his junior and senior seasons.  He is going to be too small to play anything but the 1 or 2 in college.  I am hoping that his has some wiggle off the dribble, because if BB does not come back, we are short a slashing guard from his position.  If he can really defend that would certainly help him get immediate minutes.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I’ll take a first stab 90.

First off, I don’t ever see AP getting major minutes at the point.  His #1 attribute seems to be his shooting, and he doesn’t seem like an overly quick penetrator.  I think he would be better utilized on the wing.  This is further reinforced by some of the internet rumors of LU having interest in a couple of unsigned sr point guards out there.

AP seems to really value defense, which is often the biggest hurdle for freshman to get on the court.  Add in the fact that we will likely be looking for some scoring punch, and I think he could see the court as a solid defender and outside shooter.  Also, in the PL BJB (assuming he comes back), and AD are both capable of playing the 3, so I think there are more minutes for those wing guys than at just one spot.

I have high hopes for AP, but don’t think he is going to come in an immediately be a scoring sensation.  I think he will absolutely be in the rotation though, and be a pretty big contributor for a very young team next year.  He has played very high level high school and AAU ball, and has a brother at Depaul, so I don’t think the transition to D1 ball will be as shocking for him as it might be for some others.  After all, he has 2 D1 jr guards on his high school team he goes at every day in practice.  Lastly, he is often cited as a great leader and “make the right play” type of guy, which could be a huge asset for a very young team.

I also want to add that the LU strength staff has done an awesome job helping transform CJ’s body from scrawny to solid and really increased his explosiveness in his 4 years in Bethlehem.  Most of the kudos there go to CJ’s work ethic, but I have hopes that the strength team can maybe work similar magic with AP.

lehigh90
    Participant

Bum-

Agree with everything you say.  His strength at this point seems to be shooting the basketball.  In the limited video I saw, I was struck by 2 things.  First, he is small and scrawny.  Second, he doesn’t seem to have a great handle or game off the dribble at this point in his development.  There is definitely a need at PG, not next year, but the year after.  MM next year, and CS as a starter in 2 years, then there is an opening.  I do like his pedigree, and coaching staff appears high on him, and he had apparently some higher offers.  So, that bodes well.  It would be nice to pick up a really quick, change of pace, PG in this class or next year.  A guy that can really push the ball, as opposed to CS, who is more of your conventional type guy.  I’m thinking of a Prentice Small type, hopefully better, but a player in that mold.

I am hoping maybe we can slide in Chuku and Whitfield into the 3 next year to replace HG, who is a 3 pushed to the 4 this year due to our lack of size.  Give us a little more size and toughness on the glass.  We could actually be pretty big in the frontcourt next year with a starting lineup of Kempton, Goldy, and Chuku/Whitfield, but a lot of things need to break right for that to happen. 

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

It’s going to be interesting to see where Chuku and Whitfield play.  My initial thought (having only watched them briefly on internet video) is that they would both need to improve their handle and shot to get significant minutes at the 3.  Holden can do it because he is comfortable putting the ball on the deck, and has developed into a good three point shooter.  Whitfield appears comfortable with the ball and a good passer, but there isn’t a lot of evidence he is an outside threat.   Chuku’s MO seems to be rebounding and running the floor (check out the Euro U-20 tapes) with maybe the occassional 3 trailing the break.  In any case, the front line next year will have a lot of athleticism and versatility (and shockingly enough maybe some depth!) that will be interesting to watch develop.  My guess would be that both would rather play the 3 and will work on developing those skills over their careers.

Judging by the offensive system the last few years – getting out in transition and a lot of threes – I would think it would be much more likely for them to play as athletic 4 men to rebound and get out on the break rather than as bigger 3 men.  At least to start.

TMH
    Participant

Coach called him very, very efficient, which means no unnecessary dribbling or passing. He loves his shooting form based on about 4hours of AAU tape as was honestly surprised when I told him the #s were not there this year. I see him in the AD role in the future. He will do some scoring for you, won’t turn the ball over a lot, make good passes but essentially play good defense. I believe he is 6-3 so height is not a big issue. He’s thin but that typically isn’t as big of a factor in perimeter players.
    Someone mentioned our weight room. Other than CJ, is there anyone else who looks like they have gotten much stronger?

LUHoops00
    Participant

TMH – You got good insight, love it. I don’t want to read into what you wrote but it is in my genes to over analyze, but Reed has seen AP in person right? He has to have admired his stroke live at least once right?  You’d think he would know AP stats as well right, I mean that seems odd to me…if we all can work full time jobs and pay attention I’m surprised he doesn’t know.

“He loves his shooting form based on about 4hours of AAU tape as was honestly surprised when I told him the #s were not there this year.”

Regarding AP, I’m high on AP, as I said earlier Fran McCaffery has a great eye for talent and the fact that he was atleast interested in AP is a really good sign,  but we got a deep experienced veteran backcourt returning. Maestro Man Mackey McKnight will be in POY running next year and is a senior, AD is back as a senior who will have started 30+ games as a junior. CS returns as a junior pg with experience and SC another junior. If BJ comes back we got another senior and all 5 guards from this current PL run back next year, and all 5 would be upper classmen. As mentioned above, I think AP is more a 2 or off ball guard than a 1, so I think MM and CS are entrenched at the PG spots, and as we’ve seen already this year, you can play the two together. AP needs to beat out AD and SC to see significant minutes, especially if BJ returns. Can it happen, yeah it can, but we’ll see, we’ll see. I’m hopeful, but he will have to be solid from day 1 to get consistent playing time. I see some wiggle and slicing ability from video I’ve seen, I think he can get to tin in our league, but we’ll see. Also, yeah he is really skinny 90, but no more so then CJ was at the same point in career, he’ll get weight on him over the years.

To me the totally cool and interesting part of next year is the front court, so many new faces, so many possibilities, so many athletes! When you talk about frontcourt next year it starts with JG upside, and what a full summer in offseason program and taking classes and working out on campus can do for him…he should be a rebounding/block shot force next year, and is just a tremendous athlete. He is probably the one starter up front that is at all predictable at this point, because just unknowns with other 3 really. I’ll go on record right now, maybe it is a stretch, but I think next year and the following couple years has the opportunity to be the best group of athletes that our frontcourt has ever assembled. Athletes don’t obviously guarantee crap in the win / loss column, but the staff should have some flexibility in options. You can play JG at the 5 with JC and SW on the court at the same time. I really think SW and JC can be on court at same time, SW at the 3 and JC at the 4. To me, from what I’ve seen is that SW is a tiny bit smaller and quicker than JC, and more comfortable putting the ball on the deck and slashing/driving/penetrating and playmaking off the bounce, can create for himself off the dribble and be a big matchup problem in the PL….JC I think is a bit more of a physical presence who can rebound in the PL at the 4 spot like a Greiner, but I think he is bigger and longer then Greiner…JC can get out in transition and yeah hit a 3 ball or long range jumper, but I don’t think he has the game off the bounce that SW has…you can play small like we have for years and keep the 3 guard lineup and have SW or JC at the HG 4 spot and JG or TK at the 5. You can probably also go 3 guards and go JG and TK up front, cause JG has such quick feet. I’ll say it again, if 2 of the SW/JC/TK 3 break right, this team will be competing with Boston U and others for the championship next year….we’ll be right in the game for it…I think 2 of those 3 break right, I really do…I really really do…If you get 2 of those 3 break right with JG, and the same guard play as this year, and we should be in good shape…what would be key is that TK can be a post-up offense guy so we have someone to throw it down low to…JG has shown some flashes of that but his post-up game needs work still, and hopefully it is much improved by next year, that would be really huge for us if it was.

Next year will be fun, but we got business to take care of this year!

TMH
    Participant

It’s crunch time in Michigan and good seniors do what good seniors do. Austin has put together a very nice string of 3 games.
    2/26 25 points on 1/1 from 2, 7/11 from 3 and 2/2 from FT,  4 RB, 4 St and 1 Block, 6A
    3/4   13 points on 5/6 from 2, 1/6 from 3 (OK..not so good  :-)) 6 RB, 4 St, 0 A
    3/6   20 points on 1/1 from 2, 6/9 from 3, 3 RB, 1 Block, 1 A, 2 St
    Based on statistics alone, I’m beginning to believe that AP may be a  perimeter #2 rather than a PG. He is averaging about 3 2-pt att/g and 2 FT A/g with less than 3 a/g. Lehigh needs a PG who will attack the basket. However, he does not turn the ball over much at all.

LUHoops00
    Participant

http://www.freep.com/article/20130312/HSS1201/303120175/Mick-McCabe-Sumner-lifts-Country-Day-boys-plus-more-regional-scores

Price is having a pretty big playoff run, and DCDS keeps on winning. He hit for 20+ again and helped play some D on that Walton kid that is going to Michigan.

avgrenn
    Participant

I think the key to this kid’s success is putting on much needed muscle. His ability to shoot and take care of the ball will not be effected by his lack of strength as much as his ability to defend.  Having seen AP live in AAU there is no question about his leadership and shooting ability, although numbers are down. The question is can he withstand the physical rigors of 30+ games at this level. It is a tall task for any Freshman. I don’t see major contributions until soph. jr. year.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.