Billy Taylor

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Billy Taylor

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Just saw he has been hired as HC at Belmont Abbey.A D2school Dont know whether I’m pleased or sad to see this. Wish him the best luck tho.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Taylor was one of four reported finalists for the Cornell job, but didn’t get it. As you probably know, he has been Director of Basketball Ops for Iowa for the past four years after being fired by Ball State.

Belmont Abbey had been a decent program, but was bad the past two years. The coach who preceded Taylor only got two years as head coach.

I’m sure Taylor would like to make it back to D1 as a head coach, but being a non-coach at Iowa probably wasn’t helping his chances at all.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Bison137 Bison137.
    jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

With the exception of Fran McCaffery’s three year stint (’85-’88), the Lehigh basketball program was historically bad since the sport was invented. Even Pete Carril couldn’t win here (11-12 in ’66-’67). Until Billy Taylor and staff. Bison has to remember back when Lehigh was always a sure “w”.

Best of luck Billy in your new gig. And thank you!

toddcudd
    Participant

Agree with jimk. Fran made a great start, we foundered again, and then Billy moved us in the right direction again. I for one am glad to see him get another shot. I think he got a raw deal from Ball St. He inherited a horrible team that was already in transition, and made them respectable again. After he left, they sucked horribly again for a couple of years. Seem to have righted the ship again this year, but we’ll see.
    I understand that D1 coaching is a tough gig. Getting fired for performance leaves a mark, and unless you were fired at UK or KU that mark sticks. I have no inside knowledge, but my guess is that he felt that joining Fran at Iowa was his best path back. I think a mid-major D1 would do well to hire him, but if they weren’t knocking he had to make a move. I hope he kills ’em at Belmont Abbey, and we see him again in D1.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.