Bison notes

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Bison notes

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

On phone looks like Knott 2nd at wr, also Gyles in at NG. No Haggins. Hard for my old eyes to read on phone

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Good news is O’Brien is back …

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yup. BU not great passing team but Qb very athletic. Seems to do bettdr when play breaks down. Better to have both Ss.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

After reading notes expect another low scoring game. BU , other than Harvard, has benn good on D. Their zO is anemic. 24-6. Or simlar. I would.love to have a non CCU game. Possible for Sat but not likely.

van
    van
    Participant

Gleaned this frim the Bison site:
    BUCKNELL VS. LEHIGH SERIES NOTES
    • Lehigh leads 43-29-3.
    • Lehigh has won 14 straight games, the longest win streak in series history.
    • Lehigh’s average margin of victory during the 14-game winning streak is 35.3-11.6 (494-162).
    • Lehigh has scored at least 30 points in 11 of the last 14 meetings. The Mountains Hawks have tallied at least 40 points fi ve times during that span.
    • Bucknell has scored 20 points just once against Lehigh in the last 14 meetings.
    • Bucknell and Lehigh have met every year since 1950.
    • Bucknell’s last win vs. Lehigh by more than one touchdown (7 points) was 1966 (45-0).
    • Lehigh (75 games) is Bucknell’s second-most common opponent behind Lafayette (90 games).

How’s that for reason for being over confident?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Nice van
    LoRe O’Brien questionable knee. Vin, Soto out. Mahoney quetionable.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 5 months ago by RichH RichH.
    van
    van
    Participant

Yikes, a bit short handed, time for guys to step up.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Hello Van.  My dad ( Bucknell alum) took me to that 45-0 blowout in Lewisburg.  We lived across the river in Milton.   Lehigh at the time was between Bill Leckonby’s retirement (1961) and Fred Dunlap’s first winning season (1971). It was the 5th consecutive loss (of 7 in a row) to Bucknell. Lehigh was obviously terrible.  I was a high school junior considering applying to Lehigh.  My dad’s only comment was “great school, fabulous band……”

van
    van
    Participant

well Jim, now you can add fabulous football team!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I also was.at that game. I was recruited by Leckonby. The spiral thereafter was distressing. Deemphasis.
    Part no doubt of my fear of it. Takes 5to10 yrs to recover. We have been so lucky from Fred to Whitehead to Small to Kevin, Pete and now Andy and a supportive Admin for the most part. Likins set the tone. Gast to my surprise has kept on.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Final footnotes on that era.  The next fall(1967) my family & I (now a hs senior) did the prospective student visit to campus, and went to that year’s first football game, a supposed gimme against small time Ithaca.  Half time: Ithaca 20, Lehigh 0.  But the Engineers stormed back with 50 second half points for a 50-20 win as huge billows of black smoke roll out of the Steel’s 3rd street shops. It was the only win of the year!

Supposedly Fred saved his job in ’68 with a shocking upset of Lafayette.  Very lucky they kept him after 5 wins in his first four years.

TMH
    Participant

The one point I have to disagee with you on Rich is the role Peter Likens played in this. The real winning at Lehigh took place after Likens left and when Farrington took over.  Peter left in 1997 and the program took off in 1998. Perhaps Likens set the stage before he left :-). Wrestling was atrocious during his administration. Basketball was about 60 games under .500.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

No disagreement. Likins opened up admissions and $$ for team Farrington was the beneficiary. I liked him and he did not screw up progress. Bball was always terrinle. Packer was coach in my era. Good guy ,good coach no budget. My era of wrestling was great. Do recall the bad yrs. No comment as to the why.
    I went from Leckonby to Cooley. Lord it was bad. Still a great time to be at Lehigh.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.