BJ

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 11 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-bj-bailey-lehigh-feature-0223-20130223,0,6567281.story

I have had the pleasure this season of getting to know BJ this year through the eyes of two special people: Gary and Louise Baca. This is as much their story as it is BJ’s. If you liked the movie, Blind Side, you’ll love this story. A must read. Enjoy.

gohawks63
    Participant

May God bless them for their generosity to this young man.  It is a pleasure to watch him play basketball.  I  only wish he would consider returing next year and trying to reach his full basketball potential. He is only scratching the surface right now..

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

He has another year of eligibility? I thought he is listed as a senior.

gohawks63
    Participant

He is listed as a Junior: http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/mbball/rosters/default.aspx.  Academically, he is a Senior.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Great.  I think if he wanted to stay around he would be a big asset for next year’s team.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

If LU hasn’t already applied to the PL for a 5th year for him,  it might be a sign he does not plan to return.   That process takes awhile and it is not automatic.

LU65
    Participant

BJ – He’s not CJ but he’s the closest thing we have to him and perhaps our key to advancing thru the playoffs.

After last night’s dynamic performance before his Dad (see Morning Call story below) on what he and others acknowledge to be less than perfect footing, here’s a look at his ytd stats:

FG% .468 and .534 in PL games (#2)
    3FG% .512 and .643 in PL games (#1)
    FT% .613
    PPG 7.6
    RPG 3.2
    Steals PG 1.2 and 1.1 in PL games (#7)
    Blocks PG 0.7 and 0.9 in PL games (#7)

http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-lehigh-navy-mens-basketball-0227-20130227,0,1065749.story

While CJ and BJ may have played together a couple of times in the past – Bryant and VCU come to mind this year – I do not recall them ever being paired in the starting lineup. How sweet it would be to see these five step onto the court for the opening tip some day? OK, I know. Time is running out. Dream on!
    CJ, BJ, MM, GK, and HG

hawktalker
    Participant

That was supposed to be the starting line-up this year. But BJ suffered the head injury late
    in the pre-season and AD got the start in his place.

BJ’s first appearance was North Texas and his first start didn’t come until CJ was hurt.

A starting line-up that included both of them would have been very athletic

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

And what’s scary is that BJ played that way last night on an ankle that’s still not 100 percent (see post-game interview).

LU65
    Participant
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Great story.  I agree 100% that he could be all-league and this team’s leading scorer next year if he chose to return.  Not sure if he needs to appeal to the league to play next year as a 5th year player, but I would think that if he did have to, he probably would have needed to start that process already.  That point is a little strange to me.

If he chooses not to return, it seems a little hard on the coaching staff to make them wait until after the season for a decision.  However, I suppose if he is a walk-on, it would not inhibit their ability to extend a scholarship to someone else.

gohawks63
    Participant

I’m totally in the dark about what the relations are between members of this forum and the Lehigh sports press and the Lehigh sports program but it puzzles me how an elemental question like this – BJ’s elegibility and intents to return – do not come up in Brett Reed’s media appearances or any Lehigh media.

Do press folks not think to ask, or are they not allowed to ask, or do they not think it is important?

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

If he wants to play a 5th year, he definitely would need to file a request with the PL, demonstrating an academic case for another year.     That’s usually not a high hurdle to clear, but it has to be done.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I’m totally in the dark about what the relations are between members of this forum and the Lehigh sports press and the Lehigh sports program but it puzzles me how an elemental question like this – BJ’s elegibility and intents to return – do not come up in Brett Reed’s media appearances or any Lehigh media.

Do press folks not think to ask, or are they not allowed to ask, or do they not think it is important?

This is a phenomonal question, and for me, the most frustrating part of following a mid-major with mediocre local media coverage. No one ever asks the relevant questions. Some questions fromt he last few seasons that pop to mind that were bandied about on this board for months, and in some cases we never got an answer and/or it took ages:
    1) the severity of Kevin McCarthy’s knee issues
    2) wether or not BJ is/was on scholarship and his health status
    3) how many scholarships LU has available (12 vs 13)
    4) was LU planning on using the vacated KM scholarship once he retired

I don’t know if Housenick and Lore don’t follow the program close enough to know the in-depth questions and just ask the simple questions post game, or if they think there isn’t enough of an audience to justify asking. Lastly, maybe the DO ask and Reed politely declines giving those details out in the media. Whatever it is, it is quite frustrating as a fan. Nobody ever asks about recruiting priorities, or what other schools were looking at guys we signed. All we get regarding recruits is the LU issued press release that is just a puff piece. Nobody ever asks if Reed is interviewing for other jobs. I don’t get it.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Yes this is the worst part of mid major sports man, never get the actual good stuff. Sbum laid out all the good questions, and I don’t know what the answer is to why those guys who are around the program daily don;t ask any of the good questions, it seems odd for sure.

DId Reed ever sign an extension last year? I think his contract is up after this year and what do people think about his odds of returning? I mean if he were ever to jump this would be the year with that senior class leaving, and 20+ wins minus CJ he will be a hot commodity. I put him leaving at about 65/35, is that to low/high, hope he stays but we’ll see.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.