Boston University to the PL

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Boston University to the PL

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

http://www.patriotleague.org/genrel/061512aab.html

I would classify this as awesome news for the PL. Boston University has a great reputation athletically and academically. Not to mention one of the top mid major recruiting classes in the country coming in this fall including a borderline top 100 recruit. As those freshman are hitting the stride, BU jumps to the PL. I think this will only help with the profile of the league.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

It will be interesting to see what effect the AI has on Boston U. The borderline top 100 recruit you mention (Maurice Watson) would likely not have qualified had they had to meet the PL AI.

lehigh90
    Participant

I like the expansion in general, although BU wouldn’t have been my first choice. They don’t play football, and I don’t see their academics in the same class as the rest of the PL (minus American). It does create a local rival for Holy Cross, which is something their alumni complain about often. William and Mary or U of Richmond would have been better choices, in my opinion, but maybe too far adrift geographically.

TMH
    Participant

I think they are a very nice fit although I would have prefered a school where football was part of the equation.
    From a basketball perspective:
    1.)I assume one team will no longer qualify for post-season (both men and women) since the team count will now be 9.
    2.)Will this mandate 2 more in-conference games? Does that eliminate OOC games?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Sure would conclude 2 less OOC games once BU in. Very good move for PL. IMO opens door for a football only member. Also, depending on shakeout with CAA may become more attractive for W&M , my 1st choice for PL

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

9 team tourney? Can #10 be far away? But who?

lehigh90
    Participant

9 not a huge problem in the tourney. Just eliminate #9 from the field, or better yet an 8/9 play in game to face #1. I think it certainly means 16 conference games, which is a plus, in my opinion. Drop off Arcadia, Muhlenberg, Maryland Eastern Shore, Liberty High School, etc, etc.

lehigh90
    Participant

RichH – could #10 be Fordham back in as an all sports member? Maybe they are getting tired of being fodder for the rest of the A-10.

lehigh90
    Participant

One thing I find a little curious as to the choice of BU. At 18,500 undergraduates it is larger than Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Colgate and Holy Cross COMBINED.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 9 months ago by  lehigh90.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

9 not a huge problem in the tourney. Just eliminate #9 from the field, or better yet an 8/9 play in game to face #1. I think it certainly means 16 conference games, which is a plus, in my opinion. Drop off Arcadia, Muhlenberg, Maryland Eastern Shore, Liberty High School, etc, etc.

The trouble with nine teams in the basketball schedule is that every team has a “bye week” during conference play or schedules NJIT that week. There are significant enough problems with that that I think a 10th team might join sooner rather than later.

Might that team be Stony Brook? I have a hard time seeing them fit, but man, the CAA could be up the creek without a paddle if the PL gets them.

lehigh90
    Participant

I hope it is not Stony Brook. Their academics are not up to snuff for PL.

LUHoops00
    Participant

On a personal level, seeing that I live in Boston, this is pretty exciting news for me. I now have the guarantee of seeing 2 LU Hoops games a year in my backyard, which is pretty sweet. Outside of that personal gratification, I’m not sure this is the best fit. BU is HUGE compared to us and most others in PL, almost 20K in undergrads, and they’ve spent big time money on facilities over the last couple of years,so they’ll be very competitive in most sports vs. PL I believe. Also, academically, they are more in the american level as opposed to a Lehigh or Colgate, so its a step down academically.

The way I see it, conference commissioners are all playing the same game right now, eat or be eaten…clearly the powers that be in PL wanted to solidify and strengthen….and clearly BU was looking for a home and I’m sure mens lax helped draw them as they are building out their program and are pumping in a ton of money to mens lax from what I’ve heard.

The only thing I’m upset about, is this starts next year not this year. However, I think sometimes you see the new teams play OOC games vs their new league, so I’m praying LU at agganis this winter in hoops…would be sick…

LUHoops00
    Participant

Also, to reiterate, disappointed that we didn’t add a new football school, that seems odd. I’d bet anything we’re going to 10 and not staying at 9 by the way…getting to ncaa hoops tourney just got a lot harder….

LUHoops00
    Participant

Maybe if we schedule BosU as an OOC game we can drop Moravian….kidding, don’t want to offend anyone who thinks that’s a good idea!!!

van
    van
    Participant

Several mentions of football in this thread, I still covet Nova for football only, they are probably not interested, but would be a great fit in PL football.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.