Brandon Alston

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Brandon Alston

This topic contains 59 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Dont believe this is a result of anything endemic to our program. It is an outgrowth of NCAA legislation. Well over 300 transfers this year.
    I note that BA is graduating so situation not similar to Simo or Shane.
    The latter 2 went back home as did TJ.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I’m not sure if the transfers are representative of an issue or not, I lean towards agreeing with Rich that it is culture across all of college basketball.

The bigger issue for me is that it does not seem that the staff has adjusted to this new reality. As of now there are 8 scholarship players set to return (including two coming of injury years, and one eligible after transferring), plus two freshman signees. That brings the total to 10 scholarships for 17-18. The NCAA limit is 13, though Lehigh may only give 12. Either way, Lehigh is once again playing with fire in regards to not giving out all available scholarships and risking (once again) a very very short bench.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree SB. I think it is not a choice by Doc so much as circumstances. I hope. I am very concerned with the ongoing roster shortfall. You dont alleviate that by signing WOs. Seems odd we sign a WO with 2 schollies sitting . Does that mean Doc confident that he will get one of the bigs still live on our board? Or that he is not?

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I don’t know if it is choice or circumstances. But they could have signed 3 (rather than 2) in the fall with the assumption that someone would transfer – especially considering that we have had a transfer a year for the past 4 years. Seems like a relatively safe assumption. And if BA doesn’t leave, it’s not as though we are over the limit and running someone off. That would still only be 12 scholarships for 17-18. That’s what I mean by not adjusting to the new reality.

Now we are forced to sign someone (two) from a dwindling pool of prospects that everyone else is desperately sorting through. With the downside being entering a season woefully shorthanded and the upside being getting lucky with a late bloomer that no one else has noticed? Dangerous.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Forgot to add that Reed is also currently down an assistant coach with the live recruiting period beginning this week. Maybe he can promote Hightower for the week to allow him to recruit? Don’t want to have one less guy out there representing your program during one of the most important weeks of the recruiting calendar.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Morra still on staff.
    I do not see an upside doing a risk-reward analysis. 2 ** bigs on board. May or may not get either. 10 players to get thru a season? Both bigs and the 2 frosh with zero PT. LT at least has a year of practice. 4 schollie bigs, 3 of whom are injury prone..

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Morra is still on staff, but someone isn’t returning – hence the job posting for an assistant coach and being down a recruiter for now.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

My too cryptic point is Austin is gone :)

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote quote=31122]Forgot to add that Reed is also currently down an assistant coach with the live recruiting period beginning this week. Maybe he can promote Hightower for the week to allow him to recruit? Don’t want to have one less guy out there representing your program during one of the most important weeks of the recruiting calendar.

[/quote]

It is permissible to temporarily elevate someone to become a recruiter. However before he can go on the road, he has to pass a test on the NCAA rules and get certified by the NCAA as a permissible recruiter. Not sure how long that takes – assuming he had not already done so.

lehigh90
    Participant

I think with the shortage, we should also be looking in the transfer market, especially the guys who are available without sitting.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Perhaps Doc is. Nothing so far to indicate either way.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

[quote quote=31129]I think with the shortage, we should also be looking in the transfer market, especially the guys who are available without sitting.

[/quote]

Does the PL allow immediately eligible grad transfers? I would think not.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote quote=31131]

I think with the shortage, we should also be looking in the transfer market, especially the guys who are available without sitting.

Does the PL allow immediately eligible grad transfers? I would think not.

[/quote]

The PL bylaws are a bit unclear on this, but I don’t think it is allowed. Definitely not allowed for a player who spent four years getting an undergraduate degree at another school but who has a year of eligibility left. Unclear whether it is allowed for a player who managed to graduate in three years and wants to play their fourth year at another school while getting a masters degree.

There is a provision for a waiver for a player to play a 5th year while studying for a masters at the same PL school where they got their undergraduate degree. A number of players have done that.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I am sickened to see the professionalism of amateur sports kicking in at second or third grade.

With Alston and possibly Holba, we’re just seeing it at a different level.

The money spent on trying to get scholarships, which most people never see, is outlandish. If you’re not going to get an appropriate education and be happy in school, that’s sad.

There’s far less loyalty anywhere anymore — from club teams to high school teams to college teams. And many professional coaches are in it (maybe not at Lehigh) to make money — not to develop players and people.

I remember when you could be a walk-on (as opposed to unschollied recruit) at Lehigh and play (and compete effectively in many sports).

Too bad those days are over. We were warned about the schollie trap.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

BA at Fordham today on an unofficial visit.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.