Bucknell

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Bucknell

This topic contains 60 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  holyloch61 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Engineer86
    Participant

McHale is not the answer. He has had a few chances and not shown anything that should move him ahead of Shaf.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

True. Timochenko as he gets more reps will be 2 . Next year have to consider Mayes. Dont knw whether today convinced him to come or to start recruiting all over again.

Doc Qb
    Participant

I may have to agree w Engineer. Maybe whole staff does need to go. I see flashes of solid play, then WTF occurs. Often. Thats on the coaches. Shaf would be developing better if Cecc was still on board. And I am admittedly biased as he is a friend/teammate of mine. Andy’s record is a reflection of Cecc and the O way more than Coach K. And if you, like me, blame the staff for this team coming up short, not getting into position to give the knock out blow that could have one games against JMU, Monmouth, Yale, u make a change. And take a look at the staff…a majority are in the very young and in the early stages of their first full time gigs. Many spent a bunch of years in D3 programs and not necessarily coordinators, which are the only full time coaches on that level. An upper level FCS program demands better. We demand more. I am not so sure Sterret shouldnt clean house as a new era of PL football is developing. We got beat by Bucknell’s back up QB and TB, guys we probably didnt even recruit. Unacceptable.

We demand more. For how much we talk and toot our collective horns, we should be bold. Right now we are an undersized D, have players languishing on O playing a hald dozen snaps at FB and kick return who could help our D. We are out of position on D often. We have playmakers on O that our coaches arent getting into position to shine. Every program has off years, but Maybe we should consider cleaning house.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well doc,I still think an over reaction. Folmar is not Ceech. Coen hired a good staff with him. Yes, O was and still s/b our bread and butter. D has to not lise us games. K was excellent at using his talent and schemes to max what he had. Thought Botts could do this.He hasn’t and as to the assts agree with you they appear to be out of their depth. Blaming players for not getting it right can only serve for a short term. After 6 weeks and camp, there s/ b at the very least better communication and discipline. Dont expect perfect with so many new faces but better. Its not.
    O dont really see the desire to ax anyone there. Sawyer is excellent. OL still solid even with all the injuries. Folmar,still not sold but much of my issues on O may be injuries and inexperience. Knott,Yosha and OL injuries hurt. Shaf a gamer. Today he worked hard but not a good game His inexperience does show with some of his efforts to make plays.
    How to judge Folmar fairly given this situation. Agree that Ceech would have done mych better with Nick. Folmar came in with rep of being an expert QB coach. That he is not Ceech is not a reason to can him. Very few OCs like Ceech. O inconsistency his fault or what he has on field. The Trey like O scheme? Again him or the personnel available to play.Admit,I find some of the calls perplexing.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

The #1 failure in this season is the defense, pure and simple. We are undersized and outmanned up front. Little pressure on QB and there has been lousy tackling by the LBs and DBs backing up. Smaller rosters due to scholarship transition is hurting depth and practice imo. I am afraid this is one of those wtf years with a combination of significant injuries, too many new coaches, and 4being undermanned on defense. O has been adequate to win3-4 games this year with even a MEDIOCRE defense. I cannot recall a worse defense in 44 years of following LU football..even in the Small era..which was pretty bad at times. Realistically we might win 3 games this year <span style=”text-decoration:underline;”>with this kind of effort</span>: Cornell, Georgetown, Holy Cross. Maybe something happens between now and November 22, but that could be ugly IF the defense does not get its act together.

Doc Qb
    Participant

Rich, probably a little over reaction, sure. But look at PL as a whole. Fordham is ahead of us w schollies, has a QB transfer who is a real difference maker; but I think Moorhead is gone w Nebrich. Holy Cross continues to struggle, and I think Gilmore is gone. Thats two potential jobs that with what we think is a rising conference stock, two decent jobs. Does that play into our desire to keep staff intact or strike while our competitors are doing the same? There are only so many guys out there. Do we wait? I just dont know. The frustration just has me thinking a little outside the box with respect to staff turnover, maybe morbidly so.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Nebrich has another year of eligibility after this year, so I don’t think his status will affect Moorhead. However I agree Moorhead is likely gone because he is going to lose about 18 starters, and Fordham is almost certain to take a step back next year.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Bison137 Bison137.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Really doc,not saying you’re wrong ,just I dont know if the O issues are Andy’s fault. DL lack of sixe today only evident on short yardage plays. Otherwise they were active. Palma,Stubbs and Newton particularly. Guyles also made some clutch stops. We moved their QB. DBs ,I just shake my head. Big plays.
    Perhaps Andy not adapting quickly to schollies. Dont know. First class does seem to have more misses than hits. The present class has done quite well. Andy learning?
    Comparing any of us w FU serves no purpose. 4 schollie classes and a stud AB that followed Moorhead. Combine 4 classes with an excellent coach ,you have Fordham.
    D staff,see nothing there given lack of improvement worth keeping.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I just suffered through the replay.

I’m not sure I have ever seen a more embarrassing half of play than that first one — coaching and play on both sides of the ball. (What did the defense expect to happen when a left-footed kicker rolls to the right? I’d love to know how such a play can get called.)

I say this even thought I was pleased with the run defense and thought tackling was better.

I never thought I would see the day when Bucknell team would destroy LU at home (or in Lewisburg, like last year). I was too young to remember anything about LU football in 1966, other than it was pretty shaky and surely not Air Lehigh.

My thoughts:

1) I hate to gloat, but I told you so. Some of you laughed when I said Bucknell would be, at best, a tough game, even after their tight one with Cornell. And today BU played with backups at QB and RB.

Our D has made every ho-hum QB the past two years look like Aaron Rodgers.

Will Carter is outstanding. I called that last TD of his when BU lined up (single coverage, but an obvious double coverage situation). If I predicted that play, someone paid to call it should have figured it out. Our CBs and safeties … wow. We do not have better than the guys out there, particularly at safety? Or is the coaching just THAT bad? Didn’t we learn from video, last year?

I can only imagine what kind of field day FU’s Nebrich (or his backup) will have.

2) RichH — I respect you and your comments, but Knott and Parris are no Will Carter. They’re average PL WRs, from what I’ve seen. Spadola, Drwal, Kurfis, Soto (some of the other guys with hands who caught fewer passes) — we’re missing them. I like Sodeke in pass routes … and think Derek Gaul is the best receiver, or second best behind Pelletier.

3) Shaf: I love the way he plays and what he brings to the team. But he missed too many open receivers today. Maybe it was just a bad day. Yet I’m almost convinced he does not have the receiving corps or arm strength to win a PL title. Can he improve with experience? I hope so. If not, Timochenko, with a stronger arm based on what I’ve seen, should get some reps.

4) The really good news – a different perspective: I’ve heard of no arrests. Guys are still in school and being prepared for the workforce. Few of them will remain in football.

Adversity is a good education; certainly these guys are getting a few lessons in it. They should be here for college FIRST, to win football games second.

Let’s hope they grow into a great generation of national leaders, using their experiences on the field as an asset — win or lose.

Let’s keep them safe, too.

And there will always be Lafayette.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

137 Yup,he has another yr,which he may not use. He loses his WRs as well as 16 other starters. Best bet for he or Moorhead to move on is after this year. Nebrich not dismissed by pros but not that highly rated either.Knee issue cant help that. My guess is we will see him again. Moorhead ?
    Admit much less concerned with Fordham than I am with us.
    3 wins sounds about right. I do think we will have a game when we actually put together a 4 quarter effort. Hope it is in the Stadium.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks sunday. Glad you found the replay. Agree on Gaul,not fast but great hands. Parris has speed ,drops …
    Kelsey and Casey have the speed.
    This is my 52nd year with LU. I’ve seen truly terrible teams and great ones. Seen a lot of bad D. D over the years has not been an annual staple :). This yr D is certainly among the worst,if not the worst ever. That said the truly frustrating thing is that we have a lot of very good athletes. Most of those prior bad Ds lacked talent. I never expected them to be good. Even with a porous DL, I thought this D cohld be addquate and at times good. I was wrong.

Doc Qb
    Participant

where is the confirmation Nebrich has another year? media guide lists him as senior and makes no mention of him getting a hardship waiver or medical redshirt for 2012 at FU when he played 3 games. did he apply for waiver yet? thats borderline to be granted one. played 2011 at UConn, 2012,13,14 at FU. 137, u got a source?

and, moorhead wont stick around. believe me, he sees his former UConn buddy down at Towson, who, without a RB that should have been at Clemson, a truckload of other transfers, and some OL who could play on Sunday, has now had his stock plummet weekly for other jobs as his Towson squad rapidly returns to the basement.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by  Doc Qb.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

IIR,he lost a yr at FU also. Extensive thread back over the summer. 137 is usually dead on with the rules. If I read PL rule correctly he cant apply til after season. Not sure tho and not going to computer to look it up :)

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

The only year he lost was his 2012 season at FU – when he was hurt for most of the season. Was a frosh at UConn in 2011. So he will have played three years – 2011, 2013, and 2014 – and missed almost all of another (2012) due to injury.

Yes, he has to apply for a medical hardship waiver, but given his injury it should be virtually automatic that he gets another year if he wants it and can come up with an academic reason (which is a very low hurdle). I think this waiver can be requested at any time, and he may well have already been granted it.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Just a quick apology before this old fart hits the sack. My reference to my years with LU football is in no measure a claim to any better insight. At best just shows I’m older than dirt. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.