Bucknell

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by van van 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

Agreed! And I found a place to link it!

Simo!! Even Better!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yes sir that is the one !!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Expect to get highlites like this for the rest of the season :)

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Just relived Simo’s dunk another half a dozen times and it was as good as the first time I saw it :)

Clearly a statement game for the Hawks last night, sending the message that nobody should be eager to be playing them in the tournament. Unfortunately Lafayette couldn’t help us out by beating Colgate, who shot more than 60% from the field to ruin our chance at the No. 2 overall seed. Lehigh is locked in at No. 3.

There is still plenty to be scared about in the tournament. Lehigh will play the 6 seed, and it will be.. one of a bunch of teams, including, possibly.. Lafayette, who just beat us last Sunday. TLafayette, American Holy Cross, or possibly the Loyola/Navy winner. I’m not at all comfortable declaring a game against any of these teams an easy win. In particular a healthy Navy team and a Holy Cross team that matches up well with us terrifies me. So does Lafayette. It’s very likely that the game next Thursday will be a nerve-fest.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  lfnadmin.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  lfnadmin.

LU65
    Participant

LFN, Holy Cross can’t be a #6 team and be our first round opponent. The choices are: LC, AU, Navy or Loyola. How great would it be for the b’ball fans in the Valley to see the Leopards make it to #6. It could happen should AU beat Bucknell on Saturday. My choice, however, based on head-to-head matchups this year would be Navy.

See below:
    http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022615aae.html

TMH
    Participant

I went to the Bucknell game. Here are just a few observations from this neophyte.
    1.)The MS dunk was pretty special…but it was the entire play from steal to pass to dunk that lit up the crowd.
    2.)I’m not sure why but Coach played a really small lineup for a rather extended period of time toward the end of the first half (4 guards and JG) and Bucknell scored at will inside, trimming the lead to 12. I hope that was only an experiment.
    3.)This team’s play is predicated by it’s defense. When the defense is at it’s best, the offense seems to click. Of course much of it is in transition.
    4.)When the ball goes inside to TK, it rarely comes back out. Defenses are collapsing on him. Someone has to be open. Tim needs to find him. That is one way to break the zone.
    5.)On the same note. Here is an interesting stat. Lehigh is shooting about 35% from the 3 point line. Our opponents are only shooting 32%. Yet our oppnents have put up 651 3 point shots while we have only attempted 444. Why is that significant? The other way to loosen the zone is to bring the defenses out to cover the 3 point shot, giving us better passing and driving lanes. Shooting 35% from beyond the arc is equivalent to shooting 52.5% from inside.Ironically, that is almost exactly what our shooting % is from inside. Just an observation.

van
    van
    Participant

TMH, from all the games I have watched this year I believe your point #3 is the key, the O just goes better when the D is cranked up

as to point #4, seems like when the ball goes in to TK the other guys tend to stop playing except for JG who crashes, they could help TK our by being in a better place to receive a kick out, IMHO

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Van & TMH, I believe you both have a major key to this team. Teams have to collapse on TK. When he forces the shot with 2 or 3 guys on him, I cringe because someone or two, have to be wide open. Is it because they stop playing? Or does he not look? I don’t have the answer. When TK dishes to Goldie, its a thing of basketball beauty. When he forces it up, we struggle.

As to when we run, the most successful teams against us have kept the pace down if they can. We do best with a fast temp game. Kenpom shows the tempo of each game, and when it’s up (except for the Canisius game), we do well. You have to think the opponents figured this out a long time ago. Except Army.

LU65
    Participant

23 solid posts………..not much more I can add, ohter than to again “bang my drum” in support of team play and the result it far more often than not delivers – a “W”. In this game you saw something special: 9 Lehigh players scoring, 9 Lehigh players rebounding, and 9 lehigh players undoubtedly feeling as if they contributed to the result. Now that’s a winning formula if you ask me.

toddcudd
    Participant

Great stuff all over this thread. And with power restored, I can jump back in – yeah! Couldn’t agree more on finding the open man when TK gets doubled; I think it’s absolutely critical. Almost like we need a secondary “play” once the ball goes into the post – some extra motion, something. Since watching the Spurs run in the NBA playoffs last year, I’ve obsessed a bit about big-to-big passing. The Spurs do that REALLY well.
    Pace of play is mysterious, to me. It is definitely clear that we get better results when the pace is faster – measured in possessions per game. But I really struggle to figure out how to influence that. I’d never want to see us intentionally shoot earlier in the shot clock. We’ve seen clearly better results when we get more ball movement – making the extra pass. I think this is supported by the observations here on the board about our results when our assists/FG number is higher. Feels like two conflicting measures!
    Without shooting early on purpose, the other clear way to speed up the game is to shorten opponents possessions. But how? The opponent largely controls that. The only thing that occurs to me is forcing turnovers. I might try to look back to see how our forced TOs align with pace numbers. In addition to speeding things up on D, TOs also lead to transition opportunities – easy buckets and short offensive possessions. The highlight vs. Bucky is a perfect example. Do you possibly choose to gamble a bit more on D, to create TOs? I suppose really clamping down on opponent ORs would also help – which we actually do pretty well, most of the time.

van
    van
    Participant

rebounding is perhaps the area of biggest improvement for this team since the start of the season, rebounding really an attitude thing and the guys are doing a very good job of this

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I dont know Bball well enuf to parse all the stats. For me,it seems when we show up aggressively we win,passive we lose.

toddcudd
    Participant

Yep, it might be that simple Rich. I risk getting swamped in the numbers…

TMH
    Participant

toddcudd,
    This is only my opinion but possessions is only one small part of the pace of the game. Tempo is the biggest component. If you put constant pressure on the ball, it forces the opposition to get rid of it quickly and perhaps take less time off the clock since there may not be a shot available when the clock expires. Our “tempo” seems to ebb and flow throughout games but that may be because we are not incredibly deep. Next year however may be a different story.
    Rebounding is interesting to me.We have a 1.5 r/g edge on our opponents as compared to a 3.6 rpg deficit last year with essentially the same cast of characters. That 1.5 margin leads the Patriot League which leads me to believe that the PL, as a whole, is not a good rebounding league. Attitude etc. absolutely has a role in that turnaround but our defense may be the biggest contributor. We have, by a good margin, the best best defensive FG % in the PL, holding our opponents under 40%. The next lowest is about 44%. That leads to more defensive rebounding opportunities (our specialty).

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

IMO Lehigh’s defense, when really locked in, poses a tough decision for teams because of Goldy’s shot-altering capability (and also Kempton and a variety of shot-blocking guards, but I see it mostly through Goldy). Lehigh can for the most part have TK and JG underneath allowing the guards to focus on getting in guy’s faces outside, and if the opposition struggles from outside, that’s a good recipe for us. I don’t know if there’s a way to track “altered shots” in the PL, but I bet Lehigh’s numbers would be right up there.

Where it broke down vs. Lafayette was how O’Hanlon arranged for so much ball movement and so many upper screens to get his shooters hot. They weren’t having shots altered, they were screening and moving the ball to get things open. That’s why I’m very wary of a 1st round rematch with Lafayette.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.