Bucknell – Game 22 (PL's 9th)

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Bucknell – Game 22 (PL's 9th)

This topic contains 29 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  LU65 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

….

LUHoops00
    Participant

Haven’t watched game yet but a post combining last few games and box score review of this one –

Seems reed finding his rotations now, and SC ability to hit shots from deep off doubles of our post players has changed dynamics, good to see, happy for SC success.

JG been good of late but last night tough game but JC stepped up, good depth.

Tell ya one thing scares me that I wrote about a few weeks ago is Mm and CS minutes. We talking 35 a game for both of them, ms I like a lot and don’t get why he isn’t getting ten a game at least, ms buried right now and for no apparent reason, kid does well when he plays. Certainly can play more to spell these two and keep them fresh for feb and march.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Last night was also the first game all season that AP did not get up a 3. He had been averaging over 5 attempts a game coming in. I like that he got up five 2’s since I’d like to see him diversify his game a bit. When SC and CS are shooting like they did last night, it probably makes sense for AP not to chuck, just thought it was an interesting stat.

LU65
    Participant

I have to disagree with my good friend, Hoops00, on MS and increased playing time. I don’t see it. The young man peaked in OOC play and has been a disappointment, for the most part, in PL contests going 5 for 18 in 73 minutes. He failed to ring up a FG in 7 of the 9 league games. And, it’s not always minutes that are to blame. In two of those “0-fer” games he got 10 plus minutes of court time. In his last three, he was awarded just a total of 10 minutes. About right if you ask me. With 2/3rd the season in the books (22 games played) and the need to close strong, I’m ok with the advanced minutes given to CS and MM. You can add SC to that list, as well. Each appear to be well conditioned athletes and have the one thing MS – and for that matter, AP and SW – don’t have and it’s something you need at this time of the year: Experience, espcially big game experience. We’ll need it down the stretch and into the playoffs. Simelton, Price, and Withfiled’s time will come and I look forward to it, believe me. Just not this year.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I’m going to go with Hoops on this one. I’d like to see MS get 8-10 minutes a game consistently. One, because I think he could contribute more with consistent minutes. Secondly, I think there is value in giving MM a few minutes a game on the bench to observe from the sidelines since he can force things at times. Lastly, we aren’t going undefeated in league play this year and there is no reason not to give MS some decent experience as a freshman. He brings a dynamism to our backcourt that I don’t think anyone else provides.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I like MS. Doc still not a great game coach but I dont see a downside to giving MS at least 10 a game. A 4 G rotation IMO much better in the long run.

toddcudd
    Participant

I’m mixed on MS. I’d like to see him get minutes, but I’m not comfortable expecting much yet. I feel like he’s often right on the edge of out-of-control, and I’m holding my breath when he’s bringing up the ball. Great future, but needs seasoning, I think.
    I agree about some breathers for MM and CS – but my approach would be different. I’d have one of those two at the one at (nearly) all times. When MM is due for a blow, move CS to 1. I think we can be more flexible at the 2 – CS can start there, rotate in AP and SC.
    The front line is still complicated, to me. I’d still love to see TK and JG start – but how do we spell them in that scenario? JC can play one of those spots, but I think we need one of the other 2 in there with him. That makes it tricky. The 3 spot feels like the revolving door, to me. I’d love to see JC start there, but that just makes the front line situation worse. I think SW and SC can play that wing spot, and maybe even AP.
    It’s fun to play Monday Morning QB – but I don’t envy the coaches on this lineup stuff!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well said todd. Much as I dont care for Doc’s rotations, he has a daunting task ,almost too many options. Guess that’s better than too few :)

LU65
    Participant

I guess I started something with all this talk of MS. Aaah, the beauty of an active Board. Sure beats the endless dribble over attendance figures.

Toddcudd, we’re on the same page. I am uneasy with Miles running the point, especially when other more talented options exist. There are just so many minutes (40) to distribute. If you think Mackey should get 30 and Corey 5, then what’s left for Miles barring injury and foul trouble? Five. Miles is certainly a dynamo and might well run our team in years to come, but not now (please) as our season comes to a close. While it may be true that we’re not going undefeated in the PL this year, we do have a chance to finish in the Top 4 and gain home court honors for at least one playoff game. To me, that is significant and warrants playing our best at each position whenever possible. That said, I really do like the kid but think his future is a year away – first backing up Corey at the point and then taking over the reigns sometime down the road.

To Rich’s point about options, can you imagine the choices Reed and Co. would have been faced with had both AD and SC showed up healthy back in October!

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

MM and MS have played together at times this year. So I don’t think looking at it purely numerically works. MS could get 10 minutes at the 1 or 2 with either CS or MM alongside.

I agree on the value of a home playoff game, but I don’t think finding a decent role for MS endangers that. Yes, he can get out of control at times, but he is great on D and clearly an absolute pain to play against. Instead of viewing him as a liability that we are trying to find minutes for, I’m viewing him as a weapon that I think we could utilize. Agree that he is far from refined, but he would not be the first LU player to swing between amazing and bone-headed plays on consecutive possessions (JG, B.J. Bailey, John Adams, Prentice Small come to mind).

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Unlike some, I dont see MS as more of a liability than most any other G we have. Other than CS,each has had their brain spasms. I agree he van be a plus for us. He shakes stuff up :)
    Geez, wasn’t Prentice fun. Loved his mad dashes down the court. Expected him to end up in the 3rd row.

van
    van
    Participant

sure do miss AD

MM or CS must be on the court at all times, figure out how to spell them independently and not for too long, don’t think we are going to wear them out in PL play, remember the front line is not all that experienced so when the guards are frosh we get even younger and that is contributing to the stale O that happens for too many minutes each game

LUHoops00
    Participant

Good chatter, all the people that weighed in pretty much covered all the qualitative analysis, figured I would add in some quantitative data.

Since 01-02 season, didn’t have time over wheaties this morning to go back any further, here are your top 3 individual players with top mins per game from a single season.

1. MM, 13-14
    2. CJ, 10-11
    3. CS, 13-14

Again, I believe we can find 10 mins a game for our best on the ball defender in ms.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

It may be shocking:).but I concur. Tougher this yr I know with so many rookies, but necessary.

LU65
    Participant

Never saw so much chatter over what turns out to be a 5 minute disagreement (I say 5…. others say 10) over the time given to a freshman point guard during what is crunch time (the last 1/3 of the season together with the playoffs). At least the Board is alive.

Now ready to turn my attention to Round 2 of the PL Season in which we’ll play 3 of our next 4 away from home. The road hosts (BU, Army and AU) are a combined 23-4 in PL play. The one at home is Loyola – a team that beat us by 4 in Round One. It doesn’t get any tougher than that.
    Today, we technically sit in 5th place – due to our win over Bucknell – and trail 4th place Army by two games in the Standings. With home court honors in the quarter-final round of the upcoming playoffs going to the top 4 finishers in league play, it’s timely that following BU is Army. Here’s hoping MS and everyone else is ready to play – whether it’s for 5 or 35 minutes.

GO LU!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.