Bucknell – Game 30 (PL's 17th)

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Bucknell – Game 30 (PL's 17th)

This topic contains 44 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

In addition to those questions, we will be bringing in just as many new guys next year as we had this year. Ross, Jenkins, Alston will be frosh plus Glover, and McCaskill as transfers. So next year will likely be a lot more talk about “young team” “developing a mentality”, “playing hard”, etc. I do think JRG is going to bring some toughness however.

I do think there is some more clarity beyond what you cited above. Personally, I would say we know that DC will not be a major contributor. I would also say that we know that JG will be a low skill/high energy guy off the bench for his career. He will have some 20/10 games and some 0 points, 1 board, 4 fouls games. I think that is who he is after two years, and if not, we should have that expectation and let him exceed it. I also think that GP and CR will not contribute in a meaningful way in games.

I also think we know that AP is going to play major minutes for his whole career. I agree with everyone that says he has major holes in his game, namely any time he isn’t shooting a 3 or in transition. But if that kid can develop any ability to hit a one dribble pull up, or finish at the basket in the half court – he immediately becomes a high level PL player.

SW and MS I agree are wildcards. But I remain very excited about both.

For me the biggest question of the returnees next year will be what kind of a jump JC makes. Can he turn into a 14/8 guy and bring his shooting numbers up to 45%? We know he loves the 3’s, so that’s not stopping. But can he shoot 40% from 3 and 45-47% overall? That would change things dramatically. I think MS will be great with opportunity, as I’ve said before. SW’s evolution from this year to next, is my second biggest question mark after JC.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well said 90. Blame,however,is not the issue. Fixing problem is. To me, the inability of MM to mesh with this team is central. He and Doc seem to want himto replace CJ by being the 2nd half go to. That is and has never been his talent. He is a superb complimentary player. Not the goto guy on a game to game basis. This mindset has prevented the growth of the team ,the frosh and CS particularly. The last 6 games have hilighted the inability of team to finish but Doc has put that burden on MM,aka CJ. The issue this last stretch is why was TK iced out of O in the 2nd half. MM decision or Doc’s?

pafan11
    Participant

Wow stabler has some bold statements, I would love to know where your clarity on some of these issues come from. First we have never seen JRG play a minute at Lehigh so how do we know he is tough? Second, pretty bold to say DC never contributes based solely on limited time this year after major injury. Third JG we could argue as been just as effective as TK in terms of production based on touches and minutes but we are willing to say TK is high level and JG just an energy guy. Fourth AP if, if, if, if, if, this is getting old why does he merit the ifs and not DC or other. Fifth I agree on MS and SW tough to evaluate at this point. Lastly, GP and CR never contribute meaningful in games, what is this based on? Both freshman walk-ons that have competed everyday in practice and continuing to develop, bold comment with 3 yrs to grow. I think you are selling some players short awfully quick.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

First we have never seen JRG play a minute at Lehigh so how do we know he is tough?

I said, “I think” and you can call it a hunch. We’ve seen his highlight tape and we know he is a good athlete, and it does not appear he shies away from contact. We’ll see next year.

Second, pretty bold to say DC never contributes based solely on limited time this year after major injury.

I didn’t say never contributes. I said I don’t think he will ever be a MAJOR contributor, and I stand by that. When 100% healthy as a frosh, he was close to the last man on the depth chart. In his return this year he has showed heart and hustle, but what appeared to me to be a broken outside shot and lack of explosiveness.

Third JG we could argue as been just as effective as TK in terms of production based on touches and minutes but we are willing to say TK is high level and JG just an energy guy.

JG has really grown on me this year, and as I said I expect some 20/10 games from him in the future. For me, it is his lack of consistency. He has serious trouble staying out of foul trouble, and it drastically effects his production. I don’t think you can lean to heavily on a guy like that. Would LOVE for him to prove me wrong.

Fourth AP if, if, if, if, if, this is getting old why does he merit the ifs and not DC or other.

Yes, it’s an opinion. Partly based on pedigree, partly based on production, and partly based on what I (personally) see when I watch games. What has Devon done to make us think he will be a major contributor? AP has had some awful games. He’s also had some good ones.

Lastly, GP and CR never contribute meaningful in games, what is this based on?

Mostly because Reed has never played any walk-on serious minutes with the exception of BJ Bailey, who was a scholarship transfer. GP and CR have not gotten an opportunity this year, and next year there are 3 more incoming freshman perimeter players. By virtue of being on scholarship (it’s the system, not saying it’s fair) my guess is that they will get a shot before GP and CR. I’m not knocking them as individuals, but history certainly indicates that they likely will not get major minutes during their career.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Lastly, to back up my JRG hunch a little further:

If you use pace-adjusted per 40 minutes stats from his year at Lipscomb and compare them to the pace-adjusted per 40 stats of this year’s Lehigh team, he would be #1 in rebounding and #1 in getting to the free throw line. Admittedly, his sample size from Lipscomb is very small so this is a dangerous exercise. However, this is part of the reason I feel he will bring more toughness to the team next year.

pafan11
    Participant

Stabler,

Love the clarification and just playing devil’s advocate which is what these types of blogs are all about. I respect your opinions even though I disagree with some of them. I hate pedigree as a measuring stick so I will not be convinced on AP until I see more than the once and awhile hot streak from 3. I am convinced after watching him there is some selfishness in his play that is a problem as well. I also hope JG proves you wrong and believe he has when given enough time to get into the flow of the game. As for GP and CR, if a coach plays a kid ahead of a walk-on based solely on the fact that they are on scholarship than they should be ashamed. Play should be based on criteria coaches establish for all players, if one performs that criteria better than others they should have the opportunity to play. I am not saying either of these two have outperformed anyone just a statement.

chipwho
    Participant

Seating at the game last night & watching the POOR performance of MM was very disturbing. Appears he wants to be a CJ but, with minimal talent & ability. LU is better than what we viewed the last few games. In fact, someone has to reel him in & advise that 4 others on the court & this is not the MM show. He truly is out of control.

van
    van
    Participant

Not fair at all to say MM has minimal talent and ability, trying to do things beyond his skill set, yes. He has a lot of talent and ability as point guard, agree that he needs to stay in control.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thats my point. MM is a complimentary scorer, not a primary. Great as a PG but he seems to have loaded too much on his back. Why? Trust? Not sure.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Love the clarification and just playing devil’s advocate which is what these types of blogs are all about.

No worries my man! Agree 100% on challenging opinions, and I respect yours as well.

On Mackey, I feel for the guy honestly. When you listen to Reed talk about “senior leadership” and “Mackey taking control” it makes me wonder how much of Mackey’s late game hero-ball is his own idea and how much is put upon him by the coaches. I agree that it has backfired quite a few times, but he also came up huge in the BU and Navy games. He’s definitely trying to do too much, but I’m going to stop short of saying he is trying to be CJ. I think he is trying to be the senior leader that Reed has asked him to be and win games. That said, he has not been playing well the last few weeks.

TMH
    Participant

Just a side note. Mackey McKnight is 11th in the nation in assists.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Saying Lehigh’s all-time assist leader isn’t a talented player with ability not only is incomprehensibly wrong, it’s also wrong if you’ve watched games this season (Colgate leaps to mind). Tired and trying to do to much may be right, but saying he’s not talented is about six steps too far.

AP has had up and down games, something you fully expect as a freshman. I have always like the kid’s potential and he’s grown a lot in the last few weeks. I have a real hard time calling him a question mark at this point.

TMH
    Participant

Don’t know if anyone noticed but AD said he put hisjob on hold for a year to play 1 more season. Where that will be is unknown.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I wish him the best. No room at the inn at LU.

toddcudd
    Participant

A few items i wanna jump in on here. First, the AD situation – here’s the quote from the LU Atletics site:

What are your postgraduate plans?
    AD: I deferred my forensic advisory job offer at PricewaterhouseCoopers because I plan on utilizing my fifth year of eligibility for basketball. I am unsure as to where I will end up next year, mainly because I have not put my name out there just yet. After next year, I will start my career out at PwC in New York City, which is the largest accounting firm in the world.

I’m struggling with this. If he wants to come back and play next year, are we really not accommodating him? I guess I understand the scholarship problem – but when did he express interest in returning? Could something not have been worked out? I dunno – but I feel like we should have. And could he not return non-schollie? Maybe that’s not an option on his side, and if so I guess that’s just how it is. But what are his options? He can’t play D1 anywhere else next year, right? The 2 semester rule we’ve heard about here?

The other one that jumped out to me is the “just an energy guy” take on JG. Admittedly, I’m a JG fan. But last year I saw raw potential only. He looked tentative around the basket, and we really saw very little in terms of an offensive arsenal. I’d argue that his year-over-year growth is amongst the best I’ve ever seen. He has been assertive going to the hoop, and has shown a nice array of moves. In my mind, he has been limited by one thing only – lack of depth up front. There’s no other excuse for him not playing major minutes, in my book. He’s been efficient on offense, runs the floor well, and is very effective on D – changing shots, forcing kickouts. I’m even OK with some of the fouls; no freebies in the paint – it can change the opposing mindset. I will concede that there were times where they came in bunches, which is a problem. But some of that could also be attributed to lack of time to get into the flow. I really think the PF issue is overblown; some numbers for the season:
    TK – 1 PF every 8.03 mins
    JG – 1 PF every 7.23 mins
    CB – 1 PF every 4.82 mins

I hope we can somehow resolve the front-court depth problem next year, but not sure I see how at this point. The other big challenge this off season will be significant changes to the offense. We need to figure out how to play inside-out, putting BOTH of these big guys to work, and taking advantage of double-teams.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.