Bucknell – Game 9

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Bucknell – Game 9

This topic contains 27 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by StablerBum StablerBum 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

From memory, the Thomas 3s seemed to happen when defense was sagging back to help inside, then the ball was kicked out. Maybe didn’t have him identified as a serious 3-threat.
    The volume of TOs wasn’t too bad – but they were untimely and ugly. Quite a few attempts to force difficult passes into the paint.
    I’d have to watch the last 10 mins again to understand what happened on O overall. Definitely didn’t get the same good looks, but I can’t explain why. Movement didn’t seem to be the same as it was earlier – people or the ball. In fairness, I do think that Paulsen made some D changes that may have caused confusion. I recall coverage guys commenting on a switch to zone.

lehigh90
    Participant

Terrible loss.

Can we please stop the “this team is young” excuse, as we were beaten by a younger team last night, after holding a double digits lead in the second half.

Thoughts:

1) I was surprised by the crowd, it looked pretty light, which really shocked me for Lehigh/Bucknell.
    2) AP turned the ball over on 3 consecutive trips later in the second half, which really hurt us, as Bucknell was streaking.
    3) We did a really good job on Hass all night, but we forgot to guard the 3 point line, late in the game, and we really paid.
    4) Not sure why Dom Hoffman was buried on the bench so long. He gave them a real lift in the second half inside and out.
    5) KR really struggled with the length of Kaspar, he had a hard time getting into the lane and had a hard time keeping Kaspar out of the lane. Don’t get me wrong, KR was the best player on the floor last night, but he got frustrated at times in the second half.
    6) TK and JG played stupid basketball picking up useless fouls, and their foul trouble killed our momentum. In all fairness, the refs were brutal, and when you look at the total fouls and foul shots, it is pretty obvious the home team got the whistle last night. Lehigh putting Bucknell in the bonus so early in the second was critical.
    7) JG has really developed his post up game, nice drop step and ability to finish at the rim.
    8) BA and SC cannot be on the floor in critical spots. They flat out can’t guard anybody. Half the guys who post on this board, could drive past those 2. They are like matadors. As soon as they got put in the game last night, they give up layups. Can’t stop any penetration.
    9) I thought CS was quietly very solid last night. Didn’t stand out, but fought on defense, through a lot of screens and make some shots. We did a lot of switching in the first half on their shooters off picks, and it worked well. Obviously, not so much in the second half.
    10) TK needs to develop more power inside. Too much garbage fading away finesse moves and trying to finish with the left hand. I’m sick of seeing the hook. Dunk the basketball. Go strong or go home.
    11) On the coaching front, I was really surprised at how deep each team went, particularly Bucknell early. They were running guys in and out every minute, I guess looking for a good combination. Reed went a little too deep to the bench in the second for my liking, but I guess he was forced by the foul trouble. We were one big short last night. When he lost TK and JG to fouls, all he had was CB at that point. I was surprised KM did not get any run. It is hard to sub in a guy like SC for a big and not pay. That was a game where we really could have used a guy like Shane Whitfield.

That one really stung. To lose like that, in a place where we have played so well was a surprise.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

2) AP turned the ball over on 3 consecutive trips later in the second half, which really hurt us, as Bucknell was streaking.

Don’t want to comment too much since I didn’t see the game, but this is not the first time AP has been sloppy and careless with the ball in crucial spots. It is 100% mental. Be strong with the ball and make good decisions. He’s a smart kid and clearly capable. Hope this teaches him and the rest of the guys a lesson.

toddcudd
    Participant

I don’t feel the same way about the number of bigs. With TK and JG limited, I think we were OK when JC and CB were in those spots. And maybe KM is the next option. But I completely agree the SC doesn’t belong in one of those spots. I do want to rewatch the game. In the first half, it felt like our bigs made a big impact, and CB did a very good job filling in later too, imo. However, I see that we gave up 14 offensive rebounds, including 7 (!!!!) to Foulland alone. Way, way too many. I want to go back and see how/why that happened.
    I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think we’ll see a big change in TKs arsenal at the rim. His polish is fantastic, and I don’t think strength is a problem. From what I’ve seen, the issue is hops. If he goes strong at a guy his size, there’s a very good chance he’s gonna eat it. To my recollection, he has never, in any circumstance, dunked in a game. I think we can see why. I love his game – don’t get me wrong. But I also don’t know that you can add 10″ to a guy’s vert. I hope I’m wrong. I think we just have to understand his strengths and style – and go to JG when you want a dunk.

lehigh90
    Participant

I disagree on TK. He never goes up strong. His go to is always left handed jump hook or right handed jump hook. Always moving away from the rim. At his size and with his polish, he needs to be able to pump fake and go into his defender to draw contact and get to the line. Look at last night’s game in particular, guys who go up strong at the rim, don’t shoot 5 for 12 from 3 feet. The left handed baby hook moving away from the rim is a difficult shot to make consistently. He is bigger than everyone in the league.

And, don’t get me started on JC. He takes 4 shots, 3 of them from 3. He enters game and throws up a 3 in his first 5 seconds on the floor. He actually makes a 3 later on, then his next one is an air ball. No one in his face, air ball from 3. Why does this guy insist on shooting the 3. He’s a 6’8″ guy who plays 6’2″.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  lehigh90.
    van
    van
    Participant

have to agree with 90 on JC, although he was more active on D than some of the past outings, I would rather see CB be the first big off the bench, he generally plays good D and has improved is O enough to suit me, makes a high % because he knows his range

just don’t know what to make of SC, he has not been the same this year, maybe just lost desire

toddcudd
    Participant

I agree re: JC offense too. But – he seems to be pretty solid on D, and can get rebounds. Just can’t let him fire away from 3.

LU65
    Participant

So much as already been said about our bonehead plays and the meltdown that occurred last night, I can add little new perspective other than to reinforce an observation made weeks ago about team play and the form it takes in the Assist to Field Goal Made (A/FGM) ratio. I believe it speaks well to Van’s earlier point about “everyone wants to be a hero.” Last night we offered up 12 assists on 25 made field goals (.480). It represented our second worse PL effort, beaten only by a mark of .364 in our loss to American U. To date we have played nine conference games. In our wins, the ratio has averaged .636; in our losses the number tumbles to .523. In my mind, we all too often rush our shots when, to my untrained eye, far better shot-making alternatives existed. Replay last night’s game to see if you don’t agree.

Random stat observations:

Is there anyone hotter than JG ? …….. 19 for 24 (.792) in his last 4

Tim: As much as it hurt to see in on the bench for extended minutes, he missed more shots that he made when he was in the game (5 for 12 shooting .417). That’s happened in 13 of his 20 games played.

We scored 8 pts. on 10 Bison TO’s……..they scored 19 on a near equal number (11) Mountain Hawk TO’s

We were out-rebounded last night 39-32 (14 to 9 on the offensive boards). We won the rebounding battle in each of our 4 PL wins.

Worse stat line of the night: BA’s 0 for 2 in 22 minutes. Everything else 0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Kahron: Another perfect night from the line (5 for 5). That makes it 10 in a row and 25 of 29 (.862) in PL play.

Bucknell visits Stabler on Wednesday, Feb. 25th. See you there!

pafan11
    Participant

Have watched all of LU games very closely and these are my observations:

AP and BA check out mentally if they are not getting theirs (one reason no championships with these two together).

CS always plays as hard as possible but never knows how much he will play or what his role will be, except that he is coming out at the first media timeout no matter what.

SC has been a none factor all year which might be a direct impact of losing minutes last year and this year to Freshmen who seem to get minutes no matter what their performance. Hard for a senior to deal with! I refer to AD last year and wonder if he really had to sit all year or did he choose to because his spot was given to unproven Freshman.

TK: Will finish career as one of the best players in LU history. Agree vertical ability needs to improve

JG: Has been very good but as mentioned above shot selection limits his touches. This game TK and JG should have touched the ball every offensive possession.

KR: A very good player but I am not ready to make him the second coming yet. His jump shot needs a lot of work and he will always be a liability on the defensive end against big physical guards.

MS: No idea what his role is, anyone else know, he clearly doesen’t.

JC: The reason he fires up 3s is that his drive and post up game is not good.

Team: Little passion, little emotion, very mechanical, and no trust in each other.

JG

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

I want to make one observation about Goldy. There are times when I see Zahir Carrington in him, and when he has those types of games we generally win. If he could somehow get to and maintain ZC level the rest of the year I like our chances against anybody. TK is going to be a force to be reckoned with the next two and a half years, but if Goldy and consistently be a ZC-like presence next to him taking the pressure off, Lehigh will be tough to stop.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote: “From memory, the Thomas 3s seemed to happen when defense was sagging back to help inside, then the ball was kicked out. Maybe didn’t have him identified as a serious 3-threat.

I’d have to watch the last 10 mins again to understand what happened on O overall. Definitely didn’t get the same good looks, but I can’t explain why. Movement didn’t seem to be the same as it was earlier – people or the ball. In fairness, I do think that Paulsen made some D changes that may have caused confusion. I recall coverage guys commenting on a switch to zone.

– – – – – –

In the final few minutes, Thomas had four 3-point plays – one traditional 3-point play plus three from beyond the arc. In the first three cases, he was being guarded by PF’s who could not stay anywhere close to him. On the drive, he easily went past Goldsborough. The next trip down court, Baltimore stayed near the basket while Thomas was beyond the arc. The next time, Goldsborough didn’t guard him when he moved beyond the arc. On the final three, LU was in a 2-3 zone. Thomas got an open look but it was a long one, with not much time on the shot clock, and it hit backboard before going in. No defensive issues on that one.

One issue is that Thomas is really a SF (6-6, maybe 210 lbs). Goldsborough and Baltimore can’t really stay with him, BUT There is also NO chance of him guarding Goldsborough down low. However LU didn’t do a good job isolating him. On one occasion they got him the ball and he buried Thomas for an easy layup. On one other occasion, they also got him the ball in good low post position but Bucknell came with a hard double-team as he put it to the floor, resulting in a hurried pass that was easily intercepted.

As for the scouting report, Thomas was 6-7 on threes going into this game and he was a good 3-point shooter in HS – so I’m sure the LU coaches knew he was a significant threat from that distance. One funny thing is that the PL determines who qualifies for the 3-point pct leaders based on attempts, as opposed to made baskets. So Rufer is 2nd in league play with 9-17 on threes and Worth Smith is among the leaders with 9-19. But Thomas, having shot 9-10 on threes (i.e. making the same number on far fewer attempts), does not get a listing. However if he quickly missed five in a row, then he’d be leading the league.

As for the defense, the only real change down the stretch for Bucknell was a couple of hard double-teams, one on Goldsborough and one on Kempton, that resulted in turnovers. Paulsen virtually never plays zone – maybe once a season – and this wasn’t the game. He also never presses and never traps, so there are few surprises.

toddcudd
    Participant

Good stuff, 137! Thanks for the insight!

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

In the final few minutes, Thomas had four 3-point plays – one traditional 3-point play plus three from beyond the arc. In the first three cases, he was being guarded by PF’s who could not stay anywhere close to him.

Obviously they have gotten very little run this year, but (again not having seen the game) after Thomas hit a couple it probably would have made sense to give JRG or McCaskill a shot at stopping him. Hoping Holba gives Lehigh more versatility and quicker feet than our current bigs next year.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.