Bullish on Women's Soccer

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Other Sports/Suggest New Category Bullish on Women's Soccer

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

It’s no secret that I’m the eternal optimist when it comes to Lehigh sports but I think that now there is a reason..perhaps several.
    1.)Success is contagious. I believe the softball success helped push baseball to the top. Weiller’s AA status and Mahalsky’s success at the NCAA Cross Country meet will cultivate a new set of runners. Three All-Americans (all returning) will inspire a whole host of wrestlers.
    2.)IMHO, on paper, the 2015 recruiting class (in total) may be the best ever. Only time will tell whether it comes to fruition.

Women’s soccer has not won more than 5 games in 3 years and was 4-7-5 last year. So why am I bullish?
    1.)They were very, very close to having a really good record last year in that almost every game was within 1 goal.
    2.)Much of their very stingy defense returns including a goalie Ani Nahapetian who gave up .68 goals per game last year. The leading scorer was a freshman and they return other than Weigand, they return much of their scoring.
    3.)They went undefeated in the spring against Temple, Rider, FDU and Bucknell.
    4.)Lambinus has brought in his strongest recruiting class to date.

What was Lehigh lacking last year? A scoring punch and most importantly, a winning attitude. That is exactly what this class addresses.

TMH
    Participant

Women’s Soccer Class of 2015 includes

1.) Clare Severe….Clare was a 4 year year starter and 2 X Captain of a HS soccer team that won 4 4A state championships. She doesn’t know how to lose. She was All-Met POY on a list that included to North Carolina and aa Florida recruit. She was on a list of 43 All-Americans. She has had similar success at the Club level, winning the MD state championship 5 years in a row. Athletic? She is a multiple time state champion in both the 800 and 1600. Again, she hates to lose.

2.) Ava Roth….again a 4 year starter, 2 X Captain for a team that won the state championship 3 X and is now the odds on favorite to win her 4th. She is a 3X 1st team AS and will is assured it will happen again, since she leads the state of Virginia in scoring at her level. She also doesn’t know how to lose. Her basketball team won a state championship in 2012 and her club soccer team was National runnerup.

3.)Jess Sacco and Ashley Maziarz are team mates at the Hun School which won the the NJSIAA state championship last year. Both have received a ton of honors but here is an interesting tidbit. In 2013, shortly after committing to Lehigh, both began the season recovering from injuries. (They must do everything together). The Hun team started out 0-6. Upon their return, they went undefeated (I believe) until falling short in the state championship game. They too bring a winning attitude. Interestingly, Severe, Roth and Maziarz all scored the winning goals in their state championship games.

The list, however, does not end there by any means….my time allotment has. Please see the link below on more information about this class and you may understand my optimism.

http://lehighsports.com/news/2015/2/23/WSOC_0223150522.aspx

toddcudd
    Participant

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

<dJust read bios. A very impressive class. Mayhap,we can challenge BU and Navy for. President’s Cup.

TMH
    Participant

Football is 2 weeks away.
    Basketball is 3 months away
    Women’s World Cup is 4 years away.

Lehigh’s undefeated women’s soccer team however plays today.

For anyone else who just needs a Lehigh sports fix until football kicks in, the 2nd fall sport activity this year against Marist will be streamed live at 5:00

Lehigh began the season by defeating Mt. St. Mary’s 7-0 in front of 895. That scoring total is the most since 2003 and only 3 less than last season.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.