Captains

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Captains

This topic contains 66 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author

LehighGuy
    Participant

At least im not the negative one to start out the season! I agree with TMH last post, nailed it. O was above avg. I’d give it a B. D was below avg. I’d give it F. If we get past CCSU, im thinking we can take JMU, im sure the players believe that game is winnable, regardless of what everyone else thinks.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

LG :-). F for D is very generous.

Well,we know how he feels about last year. Hawkineer,what is your opinion of this season’s possibilities.

holyloch61
    Participant

I don’t know what games Hawkineer was watching last year ,but LEHIGH had one of the top offensive teams in the PL .As they say FACTS don’t lie ,look up last years stats and see where LEHIGH stood in all OFFENSIVE cat . Then look at the DEFENSIVE stats and even a blind person would be able to see what the problem was for LEHIGH .LAST in almost every stat for DEFENSE !!!! With all the injuries to the O line and very little speed at WR and RB ,LEHIGH did damn good job on offense .I think they scored 27 PTS against NEW HAMPSHIRE and a bunch against FORDHAM and YALE .What more could they have done ????

Hawkineer2
    Participant

This year:

First, all agree that last year the D was quite a bit worse than the offense. However, the offense lacked the variety, passing game, and dynamics of previous Lehigh teams that lit up the field. As mentioned many times, the TEs and FBs were rarely used, for example, and play calling was dumbed down.
    I am hopeful that we will get to, at least, 50/50 with this young group and that assumes a better passing game that stretches out the defense and better athletes at the RB position where there are at least two new stars among the freshman. The receiver corp looks very good – especially with TP – and can get separation. However, separation also results from creative play calling that draws on the “air Lehigh” strategy that left the defense on its heals and confused and an approach that draws on the full play
    book.
    The D is the bigger variety unknown. The LB’s are fairly quick but are on the smaller side so the D line needs to be quite a bit tougher and must be able to slow things down up front. Clearly, the DB’s need to be much more effective vs being picked apart and missing so many tackles.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well cautiously optimistic. :) Pretty much how most of us feel. .

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Yes – hopeful but realistic. I also think coaching needs to step up as Folmar has had sufficient time “to learn the Lehigh offense” and the D effort can on only improve – both players and coaches.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Andy trusts the ability of his staff. Admit,I am unconvinced off last year particularly with D staff. Difficult to ascertain what factors played into that. Folmar,rookie OC hit with learning and impleme.ting a new system with players he didn’t know.Perhaps more a result of the in season circumstances. Even given that he had a successful productive O.
    D staff a puzzle. They could not correct recurring.mental errors. Perhaps not fair given Dline woes.

holyloch61
    Participant

I agree for the most part of what you comment on the D ,but as was stated play calling by the new coach’s was terrible and play selection at critical times was mindless .Holy Cross game 6 or 7 runs into the middle of the line all from the 1 or 2 yard line and NEVER scored .I can’t recall any screen pass to any REC,or TE or RB .The O can only run the plays the coach calls from the sidelines .If the Def.line or LB’s cannot stop the run it will be another long season and lets hope the DB’s have a much better year .The RB’s and REC.and TE’s all seem ready to have good years .The O line looks big and ready to play ,lets hope this is an injury free year and lets get even with YALE .

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Hard to definitely pinpoint the whys of last year’s O.
    This year OOC centers on Penn and Yale for me. Hate Penn and revenge with Yale.

TMH
    Participant

I’ll let the more nuanced football fans tell me I’m wrong but isn’t the creativity of the offense directed linked to the talent and skillset of the offensive line. If the OL is less adept at pass blocking for example, the downfield pass beomes less of an option. The TE and FB will both be required to block rather than get out into patterns. Couple that with a QB who would rather take off than extend the play and the obvious becomes less slow.
    Again, this OL is big and strong, much like the one Colgate used to win the PL 2 years ago. Colgate ran Eachus and their QB a lot behind that line. It wasn’t creative but it was effective. In the 1st scrimmage, we ran effectively. Conversely, our DL got a lot of pressure on the QBs. What does that mean?

holyloch61
    Participant

It means last year with all the O line injured the QB did not have time to set up and look for a WR and was forced to run more than he wanted to ,which he did very well.Hope this year the O line stays healthy and we can pass more and have BETTER running plays with the 2 freshmen and NANA .

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

nuanced? Damn fancy description.
    Bret did a remarkable job with OL last year with a constantly change of players. Good point with TEs and FBs. Likely exactly what happened.
    Shaf still has the yips to run too soon and too often from camp reports. Folmar has to get him used to being pass first and second before scrambling. The Bs should alleviate some of his need to run. That should be jyst spice to the O mot the main course.

TMH
    Participant

BTW, Andy had a moment of silence at the steak fry for a former Lehigh football player from the 90s who recently passed away. He was only in his 40s. I didn’t catch the name though. Does anyone know who it was?

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

The name of the player was Michael Kadow, ’98. I’ll post some wake/details on Facebook and Twitter soon.

TMH
    Participant

Thanks Chuck

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.