CCSU

This topic contains 94 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Last drive D got burned. Otherwise has done better than I expected. O has had good moments. OL not controlling LOS. Duffy and Tennsnt getting pushed around. Guess game plan was to run the Bs up the gut. Better when Folmar started running ghem wide and off tackle. Casey and Knott and Soccarras good.
    Haven’t seen TP since he gimped off.
    Nick’s arm much better. So far we will only go as far as Nick can take us. Andy and Folmar best make some adaptions to CCSU . They are stuffing box and OL ineffective in moving them.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

He did on that play.Montgomery got toasted.

toddcudd
    Participant

Hint of pressure, Shaf runs. Maybe that’s OK, but gotta change the game plan. Option offense.

LehighGuy
    Participant

#37 killing lehigh…the lb

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

37 ,I swear he made every tackle. He is very good. Caslow had a career night. No TOs but lits of pressure.Stubbs was great. Front 7 a thousand times better than last 2 yrs. Only one big play when Montgomery got beat dep.
    OL disappointing. CCSU stuffed box the whole game. Tough to get traction up the gut vs that. Why Folmar kept calling them ? No clue.
    TP looks like ankle,hope just kept out as a precaution. Knott,as promissd,is a differsnce maker. Casey and Trevor did well. Even with CCSU playing 1 S on top most of the game,we could not get anyone open. Perhaps Folmar stayed vanilla to not give JMU much to look at. Yeah,that’s my story and I’m stickun to it :)

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Maybe that is what Folmar was doing – or maybe he is still unable to figure out the Lehigh offense. A run up the middle on first down seems to be his specialty. The other team has figured it out so they pack the middle. The offense stalls out similar to last year. We win in a squeaker vs Central Connecticut because our QB runs well but Air Lehigh is history.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I dont know either. CCSU stuffed the box on just about every play. Seeing that why run the gut? Thing that troubles me is how Duffy and Tennant were dominted tonite. A W nonetheless.

Lambert’s injury not as bad as it looked. Anticipates being back soon.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I was impressed with freshman backs — liked a few of Bragalone’s runs where he carried players. Shaf’s arm looked better; fewer drops than what I remember from last year … some good WRs.

That said, the offensive play calling — as some of you noted — is relatively vanilla. Too many Shaf runs; again he was leading rusher. If we get this during PL play, we’re toast (heck, HE may be toast running 17 times a game) — and we should start looking for a new OC.

This game should have been a blowout — I think the talent is there; too many missed chances on O.

I liked D against rush. It will be interesting to see them play a decent FCS team.

D was questionable vs. pass; hard to tell given inexperienced CCSC QB.

Loved Mish as PK. What a breath of fresh air.

Hopefully no injuries next week. Take the experience and move on.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Think the Bs will get better. Dom is fast. Micco not as fast but much quicker cutter. Would be nice if Shaf could last all year. 17 runs too many on an very game basis. Marino has got to sort out the OL. Perhaps Brett could be persuaded to come back :)

brucesprin
    brucesprin
    Participant

Went to game… Brags and Brisker looked better as game went on. I agree, Nick won’t last running the ball that much. D line got some pressure, O line didn’t win the war in the trenches. Pocket was moving a lot so their pass protection was better than run blocking. Mish had breakout game for a Freshman. D played very well except for blown coverage in end zone. Offense turned the ball over twice in first half and D gave up no points as a result. Glad we made the drive— team is not great but on the rise.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Watching game again w/o a crowd this AM. Cohen got the start over Tennant from box score. OL outnumbered more than outmanned on most plays. Tough to open holes when D stuffs gaps . Still puzzled by Folmar’s insistence on trying to run inside vs that D. CCSU well coached on D. WRs did a good job catching the ball in a crowd. Did not see many open WRs. Only 1 actual drop.Trevor,Casey and Knott did a great job.
    Shaf showed a lot of poise ,a much stronger arm and speed.
    The wisdom is a team usually shows the greatest umprovement between the 1st and 2nd games. We will need that to compete with JMU.

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Agree with all the above.
    In essence, our OC is quite weak – he lacks the ability to understand and manage the offense and especially not when adjustments are required. Short passes to TE or RB’s are almost nonexistent. Downfield passing that spreads the D? Forget about it.
    This should have been a 3 TD win – instead it was a squeaker against an inexperienced opponent.
    Clearly, our opposition knows the Lehigh OC is struggling to mount even a plain vanilla effort so they set up accordingly – pack the box, and compress the field – and sap the momentum of Lehigh’s offense. There are no surprises and it is tough to watch.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Admit to puzzlement on play calling but not ready to throw Folmar under the bus. Yes ,very few throws to RBs or TEs. Screens ,backside flares,option runs would seem ideal to force CCSU to spread its D. Did use a few WR screens w/o much success. For us to be successful on O we need Shaf. But,it cant be Shaf all the time. Our main issue last night was finishing in the red zone. We left a lot of points on the field.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Montgomery didnt play defense. That was 37 that got beat for the TD. I didnt see him make every tackle Rich, just get burned everytime CCSU needed a completion.play calling horrible, especially the 4 th and 1 to put the game on ice! Not impressed with the Bs, didnt have much blocking but still. Nick T needs to play. All CCSU needed to do was pass the ball, they could have won, still scared about our pass coverage.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

My error. Thought you were referring to CCSU OLB..Didn’t see number on pass,announcers called Montgomery. Disagree tho about CCSU passing more. D had very good rush last night. More likely if they went pass first,we would have gotten more sacks. Coverage actually not bad. We didn’t do a great job picking up their TE.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.