CCSU

This topic contains 94 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author

Buddy
    Participant

Rich,
    No harm done, just the devils advocate, hope your right.
    Lets talk after JMU, if we get smoked we can talk then.
    Don’t get me wrong, I want the best for these kids, I pray we go undefeated for the kids sake, I want the best for every one of them, I’m just afraid we are going down the same road as last year. We have the talent I just hope we use it! GOD BLESS Lehigh. See you in a week from tomorrow!

Doc Qb
    Participant

The Air Lehigh of Hank Small was way different. I played then w Cecchini, and we played golf proir to the Bialkowski season. He said many of those principles are gone with the shotgun-read option-play action stuff we have now. Rich, u r correct it was QB centic then, but not simply quick reads after the snap. The meat of what we did so well, Kempa and Sempti (who I backed up) was pre-snap. Hank beat it into us, and we had options of SEVERAL plays based off a single coverage, we could choose whatever we liked. We dared u to blitz, because we would see it, change the pattern and protection, and the mismatch WR on safety got the ‘ol option route and big yards. It how Horace Hamm, Rich Clark, Jason Cristino, Cecchini, and Klingerman made huge yards. We just dont have that now, really not at all. We dont change much at line, its all quick or tempo type stuff. Totally different, not Lighting Up the Skies like the article in the alumni bulletin 25 yrs ago.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks Doc. Its what I remember fondly. Unlikely we’ll see it again. My point,I guess. Certainly not with Nick at QB. Nick is a running back who can pass. Even with read option the color de jure,still believe it is a better option wih a smart QB.Oh well,onto JMU.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Yeah BUDDY, you are misinformed my friend. With the scholarship era we are now stealing kids that had Ivy offers that picked a excellent education along with a scholarship. The AI hasn’t changed because we offer scholarships. The PL as a whole steals more kids now that turned down Ivys, service academies and MAC offers. It’s the OC that needs a education on what he’s working with. LU arguably has the smartest and best talent it ever had. I think we have a shot at JMU if the defense doesn’t play like last yr, and the OC calls more than 5 plays. Cechinni was a great coach, that why he’s a HC now.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Wish him well at Valpo,a very tough situation. Still hope to see him back here in the future.

LehighGuy
    Participant

If Cechinni would of stayed here for the scholly kids my god what a difference he would have made with this talent. He probably would have had better options as a HC if he would’ve been patient!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Naw,once Joe picked Andy over him,he had to move on or wait 10 yrs or more for HC.

To Doc’s point about options QB has coming to the line in AirLehigh,seems to me Nick not given much option on play calls. If he did,would he still run a play in the middle facing a stuffed box?

holyloch61
    Participant

Rich You make it sound like having a QB who can run is a bad thing . After watching PENN ST .QB get SACKED 10 times by Temple is that the kind of QB you want for Lehigh ??? I always thought that there were 11 players on each team O and D teams .When some of the OLDER commenters on this blog talk about the OLD DAYS they ALWAYS mention and talk about the team as a whole .Todays team is stuck with an OC who thinks he is calling plays for a high school team .The OLDER guys who comment always talk about how good the Lehigh pass O was and never say how good the D was to let the O run an OFFENSE that had more than 5 or 6 plays and a smart OC to lead them .You cannot live in the past and dream of what was and complain about the present Lehigh team .It is time for the HEAD COACH to assert his leadership and get involved in the play calling .

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Geez, our first game with the usual first game mistakes, but a win. Can anyone enjoy a victory around here? Everything gets so over analyzed thinking we should dissect the game like the talking heads on ESPN. We have a bunch of freshman who have been in the system for one stinking month. They cannot absorb everything in such a short time, and now dealing with transition to college. These are young guys and while bright still need time to acclimate. While I, like any fan, sit there questioning some of the play calling at certain times,(that’s part of all sports) badmouthing the program this early into the season does not do anyone any good. But ’tis the reality of today’s electronic society where everyone is a critic with an opinion easily typed and anonomously sent. I caution some patience and see where we sit at the end of the month. Next week is no picnic, so it should be a real test.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

ngineer
    To me its a puzzle that I cant understand. Yup,a W. Yup,at the base issue for team is better red zone production. Otherwise stats look great. Kind of deceptive.
    Nothing wrong with a QB that can run. Nick much better but his go to move is still to run which he is superb at. He wont last the season,if he has to run 15-20 times every week. That is my concern. He is the hub of our O. But,if he remains our only O threat as last night,I’m pretty sure our opponents will figure that out:)
    Still hope Folmar kept it vanilla.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by RichH RichH.

holyloch61
    Participant

ngineer I could not agree more with your comment .Rich I don’t think our QB runs more than he has to ,Yes they do seem to call more running plays for the QB than is needed ,but Nick also has to run to prevent being sacked .I would rather he not run but if you watched the Penn ST game today ,you would have seen the difference in a QB who can run and one who has lead in his feet and can’t avoid a sack .To be honest I thought our O line would be really good to start the year ,hopefully they will improve run and pass blocking and then MAYBE we will see if we have a bunch of good WR’s and RB’s or maybe even some TE’s . JMU will really test this new D ,maybe make it a close game and make everybody HAPPY .

youngfan
    Participant

Ahem

The starting line up is NOT made up of freshmen. This is only true at Running back. Yes, there is a large freshman class but the team’s leadership has been around and should be able to do other things.
    Also, because the RB’s are more straight ahead runners, it makes sense to vary play vs calling N/S runs up the middle against a defense that knows this and, therefore, packs the middle. HELLO!

NJLehighFan
    Participant

Good first game after only 4 weeks of practice. Now they need to progress so we compete in the 5 PL games in second half of season. liked what I saw minus 2 given up TD passes and the Schaf fumble going in to end zone. Otherwise solid play.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

I can understand a bit of griping about a play call or two but getting mad about playcalling after a W? The single most important thing that came out of this Friday’s game was the fact that Lehigh had more points than CCSU. You can build with a young team after a victory. This season is not going to be about where Lehigh is after Week 1 but where they will be after Week 11. Improvement week to week.

CCSU was forced to punt 6 times and held to 271 yards of total offense. Lehigh D kept big plays to a minimum, showed much, much better tackling ability from last season, and aside from maybe a couple plays they’d like back it was a reasonably dominating effort. As a fan that was starved to see just a little bit of defense since last season, the meal was very satisfying.

Certainly there’s room for improvement, but every college football program in America is saying that about their team. Celebrate the win, and we’ll see about JMU.

van
    van
    Participant

+1 Chuck

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.