Chuku Ineligible

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Chuku Ineligible

This topic contains 26 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bison137 Bison137 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Possibly,  although the Blue Ribbon article seems to be pretty clear that he was definitely not going to play this year.   No mention of any possible appeal.

I think the interview process for the Blue Ribbon articles is completed by the start of September.

lehigh90
    Participant

Curious as to the actual rule that Chuku violated.  Was it prior to KUA or in summer after KUA?  Also, if only going to eligible for 3 years and take away a year of eligibility, why have him sit for a year as well?  Why not just say he is a soph eligibility wise and let him play?  Also, lots of programs are bringing in foreigners (I think Lafayette has 2 Aussies on this year’s roster), why aren’t they affected?  Finally, you can’t tell me English basketball is any high level basketball.  This is no Enes Kanter.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Eric on the BU board is the expert on this sort of stuff.    Below is his explanation.   Sounds like the NCAA may have cut him a break:

Generally (there are exceptions for military service, missions, et cetera), an international student-athlete only gets one year from the time he graduates high school until his college eligibility clock starts ticking. And as far as the NCAA is concerned Chuku graduated from high school three years ago. Hence the problem.

This is a fairly common problem with British athletes as they technically graduate from high school following 11th grade. So anyone staying in Britain until the completion of 12th grade (which is basically required if you want to attend college there) and then attending a US prep school for a year after that has exceeded his one year window. In Chuku’s case, he also sat out a year due to illness, so getting three years from the NCAA was good news. Technically, he should have only two.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

So Doc knew we would not have him this yr and thought jim worth the wait . OK, I trust Doc’s judgment. Why not just say that when he announced class?
    Now Chuku’s tweets make sense. He knew coming in he would have to sit. Alittle annoyed with Doc

LUHoops00
    Participant

Rich, what JC tweets make sense, I’ve been following him for over a year and can’t recall any tweets that tipped this, but maybe I missed it?

If Reed knew it was possiblity, I think it is odd that he didn’t bring in another big, I hate to sound like a broken record, so I won’t say it again, but I’m still in shock. I do agree that if he knew about it that it is still worth having him for 3 years, totally agree, just as 90 says it stinks they can’t just say you’re a sophomore and let him play 3 years starting now, that just makes to much sense right!

Also, if he knew it was possibility all along, why go out of your way to highlight him to Andy Katz in that interview on ESPN.com from July at the ESPYs, odd right.  Totally pumped JC tires saying how big an impact he could be this year for the team, odd right.

Anywho, we’re down 2 scholly’s this year, were down 1 each of the last two years, can we all agree now that you go use that 4th scholy right now for next year? This is why you do it, so many random things can happen to cause you to become shorthanded.

90 – I forgot to post on this, but I tend to agree with you, I could totally see BJB stopping after this year, I don’t know what the odds are but I think he is definitely graduating this spring and I think he considers himself in the senior class, so I could see that happening.

LUHoops00
    Participant

The KUA thing is what kills me, guy went to accredited and solid prep school in the states, for 2 years due to ilness…this rule, to me anyway, would have made more sense if he came right from UK…totally bummed man, totally bummed…6’7 w 7’3 wingspan, jeepers creepers that is perfect.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I wasn’t referring to old tweets. Rather his newer ones. I wondered why he wasn’t upset by status. Now realise he already knew he was sitting. Which brings me back to my Q. Why did Doc sit on this til the day before practice?

LUHoops00
    Participant

Gotcha bud, thanks. With regards to timing, I don’t know hy it was sat on, could be a ton of different reasons. Honestly, the only thing I care about is we got 11 scholy’s and 4 guys in our frontcourt to make it through the year with. We got guards to make deep run in march but we needed full frontcourt depth to give us best shot at getting there. We’ll learn a lot in first few games, at baylor and then vs Robert Morris who is very solid and will be a really tough game, and if we’re lucky at Pitt.

norcalfan
    Participant

Wow this is a major blow. Let’s hope the team is hungry as Greiner says they are and fight through this. I have another concern in addition to injuries, what about grades and eligibility. While LU recruits young men who are academically sound, the first year of college can be a challenge for some. Good luck LU.

I find it a little hard to believe Reed knew about this all along. What about a JUCO guy who did  not get picked up?

You take a player like Willman who is large and physical, known for his antics, LU can be in trouble. How hard has LU hit the weights over the summer?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by  norcalfan.
    Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Willman is rather thin and is certainly not known for his antics.    In fact, he might be less known for “antics” than anyone who has ever played in the league.   Very quiet and never involved in any issues on or off the court.

You should do some homework before making a post like that.

norcalfan
    Participant

I have a right to my opinion based on what I have seen. He is not thin and he plays dirty.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

No offense, but you are clueless on this.   You have obviously been watching a different player – likely a different team.   Every coach in the PL would second that statement.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Bison137 Bison137.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.