CJ – Is this guy for real!

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball CJ – Is this guy for real!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  norcalfan 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

A pure shooter with a quick release who has a nose for the ball and can run the floor well would no doubt to a welcomed addition to any one of the 347 D-I team across America – even the Kansas’ and Dukes of the world. But no, he’s here at Lehigh for all of us to enjoy. Thank you, Dr. Reed and Company. I don’t know how you did or what you said, but be sure to do it and say it again and again when next out on the recruiting trail.

First his high school bio for those who don’t know……..two-time First-Team All-Federal League, All-District IV and All-County selection … Federal League, District IV and Stark County Player of the Year … First-Team All-Ohio selection … Ohio Gatorade Player of the Year … leading scorer in school history with 1,405 career points … holds the school and county record for most points in a game with 54 … averaged 29.3 points, 7.8 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 3.0 steals per game as a senior … member of DECA, BLAST and E-commerce

Going into the Colgate game tonight here’s a look at what this quiet, polite, unassuming, 6’3" 165 lb., 18 year-old (born: 9/19/91…our youngest player) freshman guard who calls his elders "sir" has been able to accomplished in his first year away from home.

Games Played/Starter: 25 (all of them) / 23

Minutes Played in the PL: 33.8 mpg (8th)

Scoring (per game average):
    OOC Play: 14.3
    in PL Play: 22.2 (2nd)
    Distribution (by month) – he’s only seems to be getting better
    Nov 14.3
    Dec 11.4
    Jan 21.3
    Feb 26.3
    21 double-digit scoring games (14 straight)
    89th in the nation @17.5 ppg. Let’s assume 13 players on each of 347 teams, that puts him in
    the top 2 percentile. On yeah, he’s 2nd among all freshmen in the nationwide point race.

Shooting Percentage (overall)
    FG .453
    3FG .439 and .510 in PL Play (#1)
    FT .792

Rebounding (per game average):
    Distribution (by month) – he only seems to be getting better
    Nov 1.8
    Dec 3.7
    Jan 5.0
    Feb 10.0
    Overall 4.5
    In PL play alone = 6.2 (#6)

If you haven’t yet made it out to Stabler to catch a glimpse of this kid, do it soon. If only the students could hear this plea.

ericatbucknell
    Participant

Thank you, Dr. Reed and Company. I don’t know how you did or what you said, but be sure to do it and say it again and again when next out on the recruiting trail.

im pretty sure they told him to become an exceptional rather than merely very good shooter… oh, and grow 3+ inches following the summer evaluation period. athletic or not, 6-0 kids who can shoot but arent remotely close to being d1 point guards arent in extreme demand.

thats not to say that mccollum wouldnt have been a pretty good player even if he hadnt grown. garrison carr certainly showed that its possible. but this is more a case of getting lucky with a solid recruit than doing something extraordinary on the recruiting trail. (and thats not a bad thing; i dont think anyone is holding it against mckillop that he hit the jackpot with stephen curry or that flannery stumbled across mcnaughton on a video he was sent of johannes herber.)

it happens. given the amount of recruiting d1 coaching staffs do today, it almost HAS to happen for a school at our level to get someone this good. and thats okay. just make sure you enjoy the ride while it lasts.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

"ericatbucknell" wrote:

Thank you, Dr. Reed and Company. I don’t know how you did or what you said, but be sure to do it and say it again and again when next out on the recruiting trail.

im pretty sure they told him to become an exceptional rather than merely very good shooter… oh, and grow 3+ inches following the summer evaluation period. athletic or not, 6-0 kids who can shoot but arent remotely close to being d1 point guards arent in extreme demand.

thats not to say that mccollum wouldnt have been a pretty good player even if he hadnt grown. garrison carr certainly showed that its possible. but this is more a case of getting lucky with a solid recruit than doing something extraordinary on the recruiting trail. (and thats not a bad thing; i dont think anyone is holding it against mckillop that he hit the jackpot with stephen curry or that flannery stumbled across mcnaughton on a video he was sent of johannes herber.)

it happens. given the amount of recruiting d1 coaching staffs do today, it almost HAS to happen for a school at our level to get someone this good. and thats okay. just make sure you enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Very true. This conversation reminds me of the Adonal Foyle story: adopted as a teenager by two Colgate professors, and though he could have played anywhere he decided to stay where his adoptive parents were. Talk about lucking into a franchise player.

Similarly, David Robinson’s father was a career Navy man and didn’t even play high school basketball until his senior year. That was more a gap in recruiting in the Maryland area, but you could still say Navy "lucked" into him as well.

LU65
    Participant

Thanks for the post, Eric. Good to see someone is reading our board.

As for getting CJ, you’re probably right…..more luck than anything else. But as a die hard fan and one who believes we have something special in Coach Reed, I prefer to think some extraordinary work may have been done. Time will tell. Anyway, I’m set to enjoy the ride. It’s been a long time coming.

Look forward to our game with BU a week from now. Will you be making the trip to Bethlehem?

norcalfan
    Participant

Nice work by the Mtnhawks. It was close, but the bench, I say bench, did show up tonight. The PL is exciting on any given night.

LU65
    Participant

CJ UPDATE

NCAA Stats (games played thru 2/21/10)

CJ in now the leading freshman scorer in all of Division I basketball with 487 pts. in 27 games (18.037 ppg average). Close behind is Fordham’s 6’7" freshman forward, Chris Gaston with 450 pts. in 25 games (18.000 ppg average).

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Don’t want to place a jinx, but as stated elsewhere, this could be the ‘second coming’ of Darren Queenan. If Reed can get some decent ‘big man’ support this coming year, this team has some tremendous potential for the next three years.

norcalfan
    Participant

I hope the fan base support is there for LU. This is an exciting game for both teams. I’ve got a feeling. Isn’t that one of the songs LU plays before games. Can’t wait to see this one. There will be lot’s of family visiting at LU this week. Saturday is Senior night.

LU65
    Participant

The guy is just getting started. What will March hold in store?

Month / mpg / ppg / rpg / apg

Nov / 25.7 / 14.3 / 1.8 / 1.0
    Dec / 29.6 / 11.4 / 3.9 / 1.9
    Jan / 32.7 / 21.3 / 5.0 / 2.4
    Feb / 35.7 / 26.6 / 8.0 / 3.9

The PL’s Rookie of the Year and Player of the Year is also the nation’s leading freshman scorer. Our little secret will soon get out, as CJ steps onto the national (NIT or NCAA) stage later this month.

norcalfan
    Participant

Congrats to LU and CJ. He has worked hard for the awards. I am disappointed that my boy Lumpkins did not make a team. He works hard. I know there are only so many spaces to share. CJ has done well, unfortunately, he is not getting love from everyone. Whatever happens, LU has done well. Let’s see what happens next year. The three guys, Andoh, Lumpkins and Adams should contribute next year. Good luck to all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.