CJ McCollum

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh In The Pros CJ McCollum

This topic contains 56 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

LU65
    Participant

Patriot League on display today out in Vegas with CJ McCollum and Mike Muscala facing off at 4pm (edt).

http://www.nba.com/gameline/20140715/

CJ leads Portland in scoring with 17.5ppg while Mike leads Atlanta in rebounding with 10 boards/game.

TMH
    Participant

The success of both young men can only help in the recruiting process for the entire PL.

toddcudd
    Participant

I hope others are catching this game on NBA TV. CJ has 19 pts at the half, include 5 for 5 from 3, in 18 minutes.

toddcudd
    Participant

CJ got the start, with Lillard out last night, and it looks like he had a really nice game. 19 pts and 6 assists on 7-12 and 5-8 shooting. Hopefully a good sign.

Blazers box score

toddcudd
    Participant

The Blazers picked up the option year on CJ’s contract, for the 15-16 season, announced a few days ago:

Blazers Exercise Option

I’ve been able to take advantage of the NBA League Pass free preview this week, and have mixed feelings about this. I’m not sure that the situation is good in Portland, and wondering if a change of scenery might be better. Blazers added Steve Blake in the off-season to spell Lillard at the point, and Will Barton seems to be getting the bulk of the backup 2 minutes. God knows my Sixers could use a 2-guard…

lehigh90
    Participant

I have been following CJ very closely, and he is buried on the Blazers. So far, this season, in only 3 games, he has played a total of 29 minutes, or just under 10 a game, and is scoring at a blistering pace of 0.7 ppg, meaning he has made just one basket over those 29 minutes.

Wesley Matthews is getting the heavy SG minutes at 35 mpg with Lilliard getting 34.3 mpg at the PG. The Blazers don’t use their bench much at all. They basically play 7 guys heavy minutes and the rest of their roster sits. The acquisition of Steve Blake tells me that the Blazers don’t see CJ as a solution at the backup PG spot. Blake is playing 22 mpg backing up Lilliard. CJ is battling for minutes now with Will Barton and Dorell Wright, and does not appear to be winning that battle. I think, from what I read of the Trailblazers news, that Coach is no fan of CJ. I think the organization likes his offensive game, but it goes no further than that. I assume defense is the problem. The Blazers are not looking for scoring as they have a bunch of scorers in Aldridge, Matthews, and Lilliard. The only positive I can see so far is that CJ has actually played in all 3 games so far, no DNP coaches decisions yet, which plagued him heavily last year down the stretch.

I agree a move out of Portland would be good.

TMH
    Participant

Right now the onus is on CJ. Stott will likely settle on an 8-9 man rotation. Blake is a perfect backup to Lilliard in that Portland needed a pass first PG. CJ is battling Barton to backup Matthews. CJ was given the bulk of the minutes in the 1st 2 games and frankly came up small. The third game was Barton’s turn. The position is his to take but he has to step up his game. Right now he just seems too inconsistent.

lehigh90
    Participant

He is not exactly stuffing the stat sheet in these appearances.

First game played 15:43, then 10:11, then down to 3:03.

First game 1-4 from field, 0-2 from 3, 2 rebs, 1 assist, then 3 turnovers and 3 fouls. Not too productive.

Game 2 – in 10+ minutes, 0-1 and 1 foul, nothing else.
    Game 3 – 0-1 from 3, 1 assist, 1 steal.

So, he is 1-6 for season, and 0-3 from 3. More fouls and turnovers, than points, rebounds, assists or steals.

I would love him to get a consistent 20 minutes a night for a month or two, and see what he can be. Unlikely to happen in Portland. He needs to have a couple of strong performances and build confidence in coaching staff and himself. CJ was always a super confident player. Hoping he isn’t losing that by sitting.

lehigh90
    Participant

CJ 1:20 in mop up garbage time last night. PT continues to dwindle. Barton got 12 minutes. Again, mostly a heavy 7 man rotation with 12 minutes each for Barton and TRob.

TMH
    Participant

I hope last night was a turning point for CJ. He was given 21 minutes and responded with 13 points, 3 assists. 2 boards and a block.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I hope so too. I was watching the first half and CJ initially subbed in while Portland was on D and gave up a quick and1 to devin harris. He recovered though and after hitting back to back 3’s, you could see his confidence increase.

It looks like Stotts is going to use Kaman and Blake heavily every night and then go with whoever else on the bench (especially CJ and Barton) is playing well that game. It seemed like CJ had a chance to seize control the first 2 games of the season after he apparently beat out Barton in the preseason, but unfortunately he wasn’t able to capitalize as mentioned above. Hopefully last night turns into a snowball and this becomes a typical night for CJ off the bench.

TMH
    Participant

IMO, the biggest problem right now is that CJ’s role on the team does not match CJ’s personality. I attended probably 30 or more games watching CJ play at Lehigh. It always seemed to me that it took him time to acclimate to the game. Once he got in rhythm, he would typically put up the quietest 20 points, 6 rb, 4 assist game you’ll ever see :-). If you follow his career at Portland, whenever he is given the opportunity to play extended minutes, he thrived. Too many times however, he would fall short in those first 3-4 minutes, never to get into that rhythm or see the floor again. I often wonder what would have been the outcome had Carter-Williams and CJ had changed places. Barring the health issues, I’m not convinced that CJ may not have been the Rookie of the Year. Just my opinion.
    I keep thinking back when CJ was a sophomore in HS and was told he wasn’t going to start. It didn’t go well then either.

TMH
    Participant

CJ seems to be moving up the food chain a little with 17 and 23 minutes in the last 2 games, responding with one of his best outings of the year (15 pts, 2 RB, an assist and steal) in the latter. And oh yeah…there’s this….

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2266893-blazers-cj-mccollum-gets-heartfelt-letter-from-child-after-making-school-visit?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

toddcudd
    Participant

Regardless of how his pro career works out, I am forever proud that CJ was LU.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.