CJ's Draft Stock not Affected per NBA Exec

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball CJ's Draft Stock not Affected per NBA Exec

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant
    sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

How credible is this story? Who is the NBA exec?

I don’t doubt it, but I’m skeptical when the MSM does not say who they spoke to.

Anonymously, anyone can say anything — like on this board.

We have to take each other’s facts with a grain of salt unless we’re willing to use our real names.

lehigh90
    Participant

I think the story is pretty credible.  In the grand scheme of things, he suffered a minor injury.  Nerlens Noel has a lot more to overcome with an ACL, and he is still the #1 prospect in most mocks.  Every mock I have looked at lately has CJ somewhere in the 10-20 range.  I don’t think an NBA Exec is allowed to discuss specific NCAA college prospects.  I think that practice is banned by the league.  So, that is most likely why the NBA Exec is anonymous in the story.

jrenning
    Participant

I do not think most executives worry about injuries the way they did in the past unless it is reoccurring. One only has to look to Adrian Peterson and Robert Griffin III as examples of the advancement in surgery and rehabilitation practices. If everything I’ve read about CJs work ethic and character is true an  NBA executive would be crazy to let a one time minor injury effect their draft decision.

TMH
    Participant

Actually, there is a bunch of chatter that believes that CJs stock may have actually improved since many of the projected lottery picks have been a bit underwhelming in the playoffs. The May workouts may decide everything.

jrenning
    Participant

That is great for him and great for Lehigh!

lehigh90
    Participant

If you look at the draft, CJ has a fair amount of lottery level competition coming out at his preferred spot, shooting guard.  I have seen some project him as a combo guard, but most slot him as a 2 guard.  So, at the 2, he is competing with Ben McLemore from Kansas (some project #1 overall), Victor Olidepo from Indiana, and perhaps Shabazz Muhammed from UCLA, if he is going to be a 2, but most likely he is a 3.  I have seen some of McLemore and Olidepo, and both have a lot of hype surrounding them, although I have not seen consistent production.  I am hoping CJ goes #10 overall to the Sixers (current slotting), but they need bigs, so I think Len or Plumlee would be more likely for Sixers.

norcalfan
    Participant

Wishing CJ and his family the very best! Remain healthy and represent the PL. You shall never be forgotten.  Oh yes, invest some of that cash:).

TMH
    Participant

TMH
    Participant

I had a little time on my hands so I looked around at the mock drafts this year. CJ (at least according to the 5 most recent mock drafts) is slated to go anywhere from #9 to #14 in the draft.
    So was it a smart decision to come back to Lehigh this year? I think so. Most projections  for last year had CJ as a late 1st rounder or early 2nd round pick. As we know, only the 1st round picks come with guaranteed money, so CJ may have been rolling the dice from that standpoint.
    If we assume he went at #29 last year, he would have been guaranteed $857,000 for this season, $895,600 for next season and $934,100 for 2014-2015.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-13-rookie-salary-scale/
    If he goes at #11 this year,( the mean, median and mode :-)), he will be guaranteed $1,834,100 for next season, $1,916,700 for 2014-2015 and $1,999,200 for the following year. Yes he loses a year of earnings but the guaranteed salary more than makes up for it plus he got an education. He will also come in more skilled with a better chance of longevity.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-14-nba-rookie-salary-scale

TMH
    Participant

TMH
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.