Coach Reed to Central Michigan?

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Coach Reed to Central Michigan?

This topic contains 32 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  norcalfan 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

lehigh90
    Participant

Since the CJ announcement, I have been trying to find out some info on Brett Reed moving on. If CJ goes, this is the ideal time for him to also leave, as he probably won’t be this highly thought of again, nationally, after the Duke win. The coaching carousel if moving pretty quickly, but I have not seen Reed mentioned for any of the potential openings. However, the names are never really released, so you are always kept guessing until the position fills, or somebody announces they don’t want it. Here are Reed’s possibilities (I have tried to make this current, but some of these jobs may have filled):

1. Central Michigan (already discussed, definite possibility as above)

2. Brown (unlikely, doormat of Ivy, not a step up)

3. Miami (OH) (another MAC potential)

4. College of Charleston (possible, he has Southern connections)

5. SMU (very unlikely, they want a big name and willing to spend heading into Big East)

6. Duquesne (possible, in-state move, jump up to A-10)

7. South Carolina (no shot, position filled)

8. Wagner (step down, position just filled)

9. URI (would have been another A-10 step up, position filled)

10. S. Illinois (better conference, position just filled)

11. Missouri State (better conference, unlikely)

12. Kansas State (no shot)

13. Canisius (not exactly a step up, unlikely)

14. Winthrop (solid connections to the area, possible, step up?)

15. Samford (has coached in Southern conf, possible, but unlikely as not much of a jump up or down)

16. Tulsa (great job, proud tradition, their coaching pipeline over the years is amazing, unlikely however, and looks like Danny Manning is going to get the job)

17. UAB (good job, solid program with history, position filled)

18. Mississippi St. (no shot)

19. Illinois (no shot, now position filled)

20. Ohio U (another MAC job, very possible)

I think if he was to be offered the MAC jobs (CMU, Miami, Ohio) he should jump, and also if offered the Winthrop or Duquesne jobs he should jump. He also could potentially jump to a major program as an assistant, and probably make more money then he is making currently (i.e. when McCaffrey went to ND from Lehigh).

If CJ stays, he jumps next offseason, if he has another good year.

• This reply was modified 12 years ago by  lehigh90.

TMH
    Participant

I know it’s just speculation but this site lists Coach Reed as a potential candidate at Ohio and Duquesne.

2012 College Basketball Coaching Changes

lehigh90
    Participant

Thanks TMH, better list than mine with candidates. I wish you posted a half an hour earlier, so I could have that 30 minutes of my life researching this back.

lehigh90
    Participant

Winthrop vacancy now filled. New coach got a 6 year deal at $175K per season. Groce who took Illinois job, was getting $355K per season at Ohio in the MAC. New deal at Illinois is $1.4M per season.

• This reply was modified 12 years ago by  lehigh90.

lehigh90
    Participant

Vacancies continuing to be filled. Cross off Miss St, Ohio, and K State, all filled. Duquesne still in the mix. Their coach was making $257K per season.

TMH
    Participant

Well, we don’t have to worry about Central Michigan anymore. Keno Davis, the former Providence coach has been named the new head coach at CM.
    Follwing Duquesne closely, there are alumni who would love to see Reed there, but nothing else. I dounderstand though that they are upping the ante considerably and the Kentucky Asst Orlando Antigua is the frontrunner.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

I really need to montior these threads better when folks start to think that Winthrop’s coaching vacancy is better than Lehigh’s at the moment. I can see Duquesne, or maybe even a MAC school, but really, Winthrop from the perennial 16-seed UNC-Asheville-led Big South?

• This reply was modified 11 years, 12 months ago by  lfnadmin.
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I think that is a little harsh LFN. Winthrop has won 11 Big South championships since 1988, went 29-5 in 2007 and won an NCAA game and finished the season ranked #22 in the country. They also have a beautiful gym – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WinthropColiseum.JPG

It might not be an obvious step up from LU, but I think

Winthrop from the perennial 16-seed UNC-Asheville-led Big South?

is a little unjust.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 12 months ago by StablerBum StablerBum.
    Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

I think that most fans outside of the Lehigh Valley would view the Winthrop job as more desirable – although perhaps not a major upgrade.

Factors in favor of Winthrop include:

– Much nicer arena
    – Much larger crowds
    – Significantly better student support
    – Higher salary
    – Much lower academic standards = much larger recruiting pool
    – Subjective, but many coaches would prefer living in the Charlotte area to living in the Bethlehem area.

Also Winthrop had a 4-year run from 2005-08 when it was better than any 4-year period in Lehigh history. The only year in the past decade when they were significantly worse than LU was 2012.

As for seeds, Winthrop was seeded 14th, 15th, 11th, and 13th in consecutive years. Perennial 16 seed? Compare their four seeds to the LU seeds in 2004 and 2010. Like LU, Winthrop also won an NCAA tournament game (2007).

TMH
    Participant

I suppose it is all kinda moot with former Xavier Assistant Pat Kelsey already taking the Winthrop job.

TMH
    Participant

I believe that there are currently 9 openings left.
    Brown, Colorado St. Duquesne, Eastern Illinois, Grambling,Miami of Ohio, North Carolina A & T, Samford and SMU.

lehigh90
    Participant

Agree, Winthrop is a better job for all the reasons above, as sad as that is.

Only possible openings for Reed at this point would seem to be Duquesne and Miami (OH). Not going Ivy (Brown), CSU no way, E Illinois (step down Ohio Valley Conf), Grambling and NCA&T are black colleges, SMU no way as they want a big name and willing to spend to satisfy alums, Samford is lateral move at best. Maybe he knows CJ isn’t going anywhere.

lehigh90
    Participant

Actually, Samford is filled, so really just Miami OH and Dukes. Add TCU to the list as well. Good job, big conference, fertile recruiting area, D/FW. Don’t see Reed being on their radar. Rumors are that TCU will hire LSU’s coach Trent Johnson, which would open the LSU job. Again, can’t see Reed in that mix.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 11 months ago by  lehigh90.

TMH
    Participant

I attended the Iron Pigs home opener last night and the Lehigh Basketball team was honored prior to the game. After the introductions, they signed autographs. They got a very nice ovation from the crowd and there was an amazingly long line of fans waiting to greet them and get autographs. Yes, everyone was accounted for including CJ.
    Lehigh has the interview on their website. It sounds to me like he is already working hard toward next season and is not considering anything else. I, for one, can’t wait for next season to begin.

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/mbball/lehigh_men%E2%80%99s_basketball_honored_at_ironpigs%E2%80%99_home_opener.aspx

TMH
    Participant

Sorry, by he..I meant Coach Reed.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.