Coaching pedigrees

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Coaching pedigrees

This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Two things:

1) Along with points already made, I think co-education (undergrad and graduate effects) and organized sports for kids (graduate effects) have affected Lehigh attendance.

Big question is how foreign/female student, South Side/LV demo changes will affect things in long run.

I see a lot of old guys (65+) at games (football, wrestling). What will happen 20 years from now? I know some who can no longer make it.

2) Rich: What’d you mean by this: “On a side topic,see whete has 2 games scheduled with Cuse as well as there BC game.”

“Whete?”

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

My apologies. Typing on phone at supermarket with W. Cross has those games. Gate,Fordham and Cross very aggressive getting FBS games. Perhaps too much?? A couple of years ago ,we were told LU in negotiations with Cuse,PSU and Navy. Got Navy,others seem not to have materialized.
    Just my opinion but one every 4 yrs is weak. Each class should,when possible ,get at least 2. As yet,we dont seem to be approaching it that way. Army,Navy,Rutgers and Temple leap to mind. Dont know what’s feasible and what’s not but I do know most FBS teams schedule well in advance.
    As to 65+ crowd,you are correct as my group gets smaller every year. Altho,we have ben adding a bunch of 55+ alums :). There is little we can do about demographics. We can build a winning team,improve marketing and improve the student transportation.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Two points.

1. PSU must be fraidy-scared of us.

More seriously, the issue with Lehigh scheduling FBS schools is competition for those games. There are not many FBS teams close by, and if PSU and Rutgers say no and Temple and Syracuse has said yes to other schools out to 2021, what are your realistic options? Army and Navy seem to have been great and very accommodating, but they’re only two schools. Go up to UConn, BC or UMass, and now you’re against historic rivals of theirs (Holy Cross, UNH and Maine, and Fordham/UConn is a thing, too). Go south, and now you’re up against half the CAA. You can probably get Western Michigan, Wyoming or Appalachian State if you’re willing to fly, but how bad do you want it? You’re not even breaking even on those games, and are you willing to fly out to Ypsilanti? My guess is not many people are willing to book that flight.

From Temple’s point of view, they have their pick of FCS schools to schedule – Nova, Delaware, Fordham, Towson… a giant list. It’s simple supply and demand: many options for them.

2. At some point I will do a blog posting on this, but the key difference today and in the “olden days” is the definition of participating in an “event”. In the past, paying to attend a game in Taylor, or Murray Goodman? That was what you needed to do to “participate” in the program. Now, though, you can participate by going to the game, heading to a tailgate… or sitting at home, listening to the game on the radio, watching the game on TV, or the Internet… or even just putting Twitter up on your phone. These were not all options available even 10 years ago – if you wanted to really “experience” Lehigh beating Richmond in the I-AA playoffs, you needed to either get your butt on a plane or bus to Richmond, or you listened to a grainy radio feed on Yahoo! (which is how I experienced that epic win).

Kids today are looking for an immersive experience if they go to a game. Buying a ticket isn’t enough – they want to go to a game to fully experience something they can’t at home. That means making all football games, not just ones involving Lafayette, into unique events that allow people to tweet about it and interact with it. Tailgates are good, but they’re just a start. Making the football games true interactive experiences, something that students can show their friends, tell them that they’re missing out – that’s what will bring up attendance.

This doesn’t only apply to students – it applies to local HS kids, people in the ABE community – everything. Make an immersive, interactive experience at games, one that they can tweet and “report” to their friends – that will boost attendance. I guarantee it.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Goodman WIFI. Couldn’t hurt :) Early season night games,would be great were it not for having to light half the campus.
    MAC are not worth the time or the income. The competition in the NE understandably intense. Duke,Wake Forest come to mind as viable options.

van
    van
    Participant

would think that Pitt or MD would be reaonable options, bus ride to each and Alums in the area

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Even better. Didn’t think of Pitt or Terps. Latter would be ideal for location.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

would think that Pitt or MD would be reaonable options, bus ride to each and Alums in the area

Pitt has five FCS programs closer to them than Lehigh, and have played Youngstown St. and Delaware in the last few years. Maryland has a multitude of closer programs, too, including Delaware, Towson, and Villanova.

Not saying it’s impossible for Lehigh to get games vs. these teams, but the competition is intense.

van
    van
    Participant

and Navy has more than 5 closer than Lehigh, but we got a game with them
    doubt that Joe is scared of competition

toddcudd
    Participant

I suspect that our PL ties help a good bit with Army and Navy.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Lfnadmin’s latest comment on attendance got me thinking …

Students want engaging experiences …

Ever been to an Iron Pigs game? Reading Phillies? Any number of minor league games across this country?

The FCS equivalent: During TV time outs, bring students down to throw a ball through tires for a XXX free Goose subs; have them do other stupid human tricks for prizes.

Gotta make the extended (by commercials and TV time outs) more fun … These games were much shorter when we were in school.

Call me SundayAMQB Veeck …

toddcudd
    Participant

Maybe parking lot entertainment before or after the games? Bands – ones that would draw students – for example. I like to idea of making the games “events”. If something like that happens already – disregard. I haven’t been up to a game at LU in too long…

Miller
    Participant

The big schools do that regularly, Lehigh did the student FG , pizza game a few games in the past. Get the locals involved, and a video board would help more than anything. So many options during a timeout that keeps everyone interested (mostly kids) that allows parents to stay the whole game. BIG SCREEN TV IS A MUST

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Wonder hat happened to the new scoreboard. Supposedly,it was planned. That would be ideal for events and ppl who need to view them on a big ass digital display. :)

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Society has changed, as well. So many more activities pulling parents in multiple directions on weekends. Dance classes, birthday parties have become ‘events’, soccer games galore with youth leagues, etc. Many times I’ve heard alums saying they’d love to spend the afternoon at the game, but can’t devote the time due to so many conflicts. Life seemed much simpler decades ago….

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.