Cole Renninger

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Cole Renninger

This topic contains 80 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Bison137 Bison137 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author

LUHoops00
    Participant

Read similiar things TMH, but couldn’t find out if there were legit offers from those other two schools or just “interest” “fan mail” “texts”…if there were offers, then he is definitely on schollie and this class is done.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Yes, the South-Central part of PA – Carlisle, Harrisburg, York, etc – has produced tons of good players, including Owens and Lebo.   Further north,  very few.   Bucknell’s Colin Klebon from nearby Shamokin, made all-state three times and was one of the top players to ever come out of that area.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Owens and Lebo were super college players, and I frankly forgot about them.  But I should have been more specific.  Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Carlisle is about 70-80 miles south of the area I’m familiar with.  And basketball wise. light years away.  Thank you Bison137.  I didn’t know Klebon was from Shamokin, or that he was that good in high school.  Hopefully things work out well for Cole at Lehigh.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Sbum & all, see below a Q&A with Chris Masse from Williamsport Sun Gazette on Cole. Thanks Chris for helping out with this, much appreciate it.

As you can tell from my questions, I was trying to get at level of competition and perhaps find a reason why he was under the radar, thought perhaps football but I’m not sure about that notion after reading the below. Also, no real official word on scholarship or not, but Chris thinks it is a scholarship for Cole.

1.) Can you describe Cole’s game for Lehigh fans? Strengths & weaknesses?

Cole Renninger is an outstanding all-around player who can beat opponents in a variety of ways. He is a solid outside shooter, but also can beat opponents off the dribble and attack the basket. Cole was usually the marked man in every opponents defensive game plan the last two years but still averaged 20 and 27 points, respectively. The impressive thing was that he also was a team leader in assists. He is a very unselfish player.

2.) Do you see him as a pure point guard at the college game?

I think Cole was a natural two in high school, but I can see him making the transition to playing the point at Lehigh. He has good vision and handles the ball well. He is a smart player too so I think he can easily make the transition and run the offense.

3.) Can you shed any insight into his college recruitment? Lehigh fans had not heard of him being on the radar, so definitely interested in what other schools were in on Cole?

I know Duquesne was interested in Cole and he had some Patriot League interest but not sure on the specifics.

4.) Did his football success play a part in perhaps him being under recruited for basketball? Did colleges think he was pursuing football instead of hoops?

I don’t think that had much to do with it. I think more of it had to do with where he played. Central Mountain, and nearby District 4, is not a usual hotbed for high school basketball. It is rare that the region produces Division I players so I think that makes it harder to get on the radar for Division I schools.

5.) It seems most hoops recruiting takes place at the AAU level, was Cole participating in AAU hoops or did football training/practice preclude him from taking part in summer AAU ball?

I think Cole played some AAU ball but I am not positive about that. I think he was able to play until August and then started focusing on football.

6.) Can you share any thoughts on level of hoops in Central PA league that Cole played in? I know he was in 4A level, are there many Division 1 hoopers in that league?

Cole definitely stood out because, as I mentioned above, this is not a recruting bastion. That does not mean the level of competition is weak, quite the contrary. I just think it’s harder to get noticed in rural Central PA. Cole did play in a difficult league and played against some Division I players, especially when CM played Williamsport and State College. He played well in both those games and showed that he can compete at that elite level.

7.) Do you know if Cole is on a full scholarship at Lehigh or is he walking on to the team?

From what I heard, Cole received a scholarship.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Also, definite question on if he can play PG at this level, seems he was a 2 in HS…..

TMH
    Participant

Great questions LUHoops. Thanks for all the info. I am remaining cautiously optimistic. Even with bad competition, it is really difficult to average 27 ppg without a significant level of talent. It may take some time to adjust to the speed and physicality of the Div 1 game but eventually he may just be a diamond in the rough and provide the type of scorer Lehigh will so desperately need.

avgrenn
    Participant

I can tell you with out question that Cole has been offered a preferred walk-on spot. Cole played AAU ball with PA Slam which participated in major tournament in Philly, South Carolina, and Florida.  Cole is the son of a college coach and will work tremendously hard and compete everyday.  We will have to wait and see what kind of impact he will have at this level. As for other schools interested, Duquesne was very interested, Creighton’s head coach called and spoke with Cole’s coach  a number of times and was very interested but needed what he thought was an impact player right now. Cole was offered numerous division 2 scholarships and Syracuse and Penn State where both considering preferred walk-on status before he choose Lehigh. He choose Lehigh because of the academics and that Coach Reed, and Coach Wyche actively pursued him and made him feel that he would be a valued member of the program.

lehigh90
    Participant

Great detective work everyone.  Thanks.  If he is a walk-on, preferred or not, hard to think he will have much impact on the program.  Does anybody know if Cory Goodman and Tyrone Staggers were “preferred” walk-ons?  Does it really make much of a difference when trying to figure out potential impact?  I wouldn’t think so.  Walk-on, generally, is going to mean last spot on the bench, and practice body.

Makes some sense in that their was never an official news release on him.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Rob Delaney was a walk-on who turned out to be a good player, so you never know.   For that matter, Bucknell guards Charles Lee, Kevin Bettencourt, and Abe Badmus were non-scholarship players who did pretty well.   Badmus might be the best example since he committed in the spring after his senior year.    Guys like Brian Ehlers and Pat Campolieta were also great non-scholarship players.

Agree that he’s a long shot though.   As for being a “preferred” walk-on, iin many cases it means the coaching staff has identified something about the player that might give them a chance to be productive down the road.   Maybe a big man who is just starting to find his coordination or a great pure shooter who needs to develop his game or a solid PG who can’t shoot. Etc.   I know Bucknell last winter/spring looked at a number of non-scholarship big men for a preferred walk-on spot.    They landed one but we likely won’t know for two years whether he will ever contribute.    Another one they looked at was Billy Murphy, who ended up as a walk-on at LC.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Thanks for the confirmation avgreen.  It makes more sense that Cole is a preferred walk-on.  I will certainly never argue with inviting the leading scorer in the state of Pennsylvania to join the program without having to offer a scholarship.  Sounds like a good deal for Lehigh.

So, if Cole is a walk-on, that still leaves (at least) one scholarship open, and I would think that the staff is still on the prowl for a point guard, especially if Cole is 1) more of a scorer, and 2) a walk on.  The search continues…

LUHoops00
    Participant

Avgrenn – thanks for posting, you sound very familiar with Cole, so please come back often and contribute on the board.

Agree with Sbum, life is good when you can add the leading scorer in the state as a walk-on. Whether he makes an impact or not, there is no downside to this, and upside is we still got a spot left open.

So here is where we’re at right now:

Mackey and AD confirmed for next year as Seniors

CS, SC, CB as Jrs

DC, JG, JC as Sophs

AP, TK, SW as Frosh

And BJ hanging in the wind. If BJ returns, that is 12 schollies, if BJ leaves we’re down to 11. If 13 is our max, we have one left whether BJ stays or goes.  If 12 is our max, well then we need clarity on BJ before moving on.

Simelton is still out there, named top 20 in Chicago, picked up offers from Northeastern and Norther Illinois in the last week. Just posted to twitter that he doesn’t know where he is going yet.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Did LU reduce to 12 recently or has that always been the rule? Always thought we had 13. Cansee Doc holding 1 for next yr with only 2 srs.

TMH
    Participant

We are giving 13 scholarships. Coach had indicated to me that he had 1 more to give yet. Assuming BJ was given a scholarship this year then I will assume we have the full compliment of 13 available.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

And BJ hanging in the wind. If BJ returns, that is 12 schollies, if BJ leaves we’re down to 11. If 13 is our max, we have one left whether BJ stays or goes.  If 12 is our max, well then we need clarity on BJ before moving on.

This is the other question as far as the 12/13 debate. We still have no confirmation that BJ has ever been on scholarship. So even if he comes back next year, it’s possible we are only using 11.

It’s possible he qualifies for financial aid, and is treated like a scholarship player, and therefore the staff has never felt that need to extend one. The fact that the game notes refer to him as a walk-on, and the fact that Doc Reed described him that way when he started to play last year, makes me think it is quite possible he is not a scholarship counter.

LU65
    Participant

B.J. Bailey was a “walk-on” and will, in my opinion, be a “walk-on” should he ever play again. If a schollie, it’s may well have been need-based.

I have every reason to believe that Mr. Bailey will proudly “walk” with his fellow seniors at May commencement exercise. But, I also believe there’s a chance we may see him on campus taking classes in September – perhaps in pursuit of a 2nd major. Don’t rule it out.

As for scholarships, it’s always been my understanding that Lehigh “works with” 12 while rules allow 13.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.