Cole Renninger

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Cole Renninger

This topic contains 80 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Bison137 Bison137 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author

avgrenn
    Participant

I agree that most times a walk-on is not supposed to participate or be an impact early in their career if ever. However, I have followed Cole Renninger’s career and will be surprised if he does not shock a lot of people in the next couple years. As for the area he competed in it may not be the urban basketball rich setting that most recruiters spend their time but there have been some pretty good players from these areas. Lebo and Owens were mentioned but I do not consider District 3 part of Central PA.  The area teams Renninger has played against range from Williamsport to Johnstown. These areas have produced players like, Danny Fortson, Chevy Troutman, Pat Cummings, Phil Hickey and the Nastasi brothers just to name a few. With the talent coming back for Lehigh any incoming players are going to have to compete like crazy to see the floor. It should be fun to watch all these players and how they develop.

TMH
    Participant

LU65, I am familiar with several A10 programs for various reasons. In each case, there never seemed to be unused scholarship money. If for some reason eg a player not returning, there was unused money, it was typically given to a “walk on” who has contributed the most to the team if even for just that year. Do Patriot League rules not allow this? Lehigh rules? If BJ was not given a schollie  for last year, we were only using 11 available scholarships, do the other two just go back into the Treasury? Doesn’t the HC have discretion on this? If by some chance BJ decides to come back for graduate work, wouldn’t a scholarship be an inducement to play his last year of eligibility?
    Sorry, just having trouble wrapping my head around this.

LU65
    Participant

TMH, I yield to the Patriot League Rules Guru, Bison 137, on matters such as these. Sorry, I don’t have a clue. I merely believe that BJ was a walk-on and may well take classes in the Fall. The expectations and conclusions we can draw from that are many.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

hey TMH, I’ll give this a shot, but maybe LU65 or Bison137 will hop over at some point to fill in the details.  The NCAA max is 13, and as you mentioned, the vast majority of programs across the country will use all 13 every year, even if it is rewarding a former walk-on for his contributions.  However, as the PL rolled out scholarships in basketball, a couple of schools voluntarily limited themselves to 12 scholarships instead of the NCAA mandated 13.  Lafayette initially offered no scholarships, and I believe they are now using 12.  Bucknell has only been using 12 except for extenuating circumstances around tranfers leaving/joining the program.

No one seems to know if Lehigh is allowed to use 12 or 13.  For the Bailey situation, I think what may have happened is that when he left Boston U, he was not sure if he would continue to play basketball and therefore Lehigh did not put him on scholarship (BJ being unsure of playing when he intially transferred to LU has been published multiple places).  Once he started playing it seems that he was still never given a scholarship.  The most likely scenario I could imagine is that he was getting a full ride via financial aid, and therefore a scholarship would be in name only, and wouldn’t change the situation at all, either for player or program.  That is pure speculation however.  If we do have 2 available scholarships for the coming year, and that plays any part in BJ’s decision to come back for a 5th year, the staff would be crazy not to offer him a schollie.

I do believe that an unused scholarship would go “back into the treasury” as you put it.  It could also be that the staff was trying to bring in another player last spring, or so far this fall and spring, and has just been unable to lock down anyone.  Also just pure speculation.

TMH
    Participant

avgrenn, Thank you so much for the information. I hope you follow Cole’s progress right along with us. I too will not be shocked if he makes some real contributions in the future. Although CJ was a scholarship player, I’m sure no one expected him to reach the heights he has with similar numbers. I look forward to watching his career at Lehigh. The best of luck to him.

avgrenn
    Participant

Glad to provide the information andI will absolutely be following Lehigh right along with Cole. My son showed me a youtube training video Cole made for elementary kids at his high school. I have listed the link. It does not show a lot of full speed stuff but does hint about his character and work ethic.

LUHoops00
    Participant

SBum & all – I was doing some thinking last night, never a good thing I know, and wanted to share with you all my thoughts and open this back up for discussion. Forgetting for a moment if we are allowed to use 13 or 12, forgetting if BJ is coming or going, on schollie or aid, it is all very confusing! But, I think we’re all operating under the assumption that we have an opening for next year. For a while now it seems we’ve been talking mostly about getting a true PG, and while I bought into that and if that is what we end up bringing in I’ll be okay with it, my thoughts last night started to sway my prior notion and now I’m thinking we try to go big again with this last spot.

When you look at next year, any time you lose close to 5,000 points it is going to be a transition year to some extent, doesn’t mean a bad W/L year, but lot of new peices added to the meix. Factor in the fact that we have atleast 4 new scholarship players hitting the court next year for the first time in JC/AP/SW/TK, that’s 33% of your schollies if you use 12 as a max for our program.

However, when you look at team next year your wild card is definitely the front court as opposed to back court. Now I like the guys we’re bringing in, confident 2 of 3 bigs break right, but look at the below…our guard play is more certain/known commodity than our frontcourt….

With an all league PG in MM, a solid backup pg in CS, and then AD/SC/AP and perhaps DC off injury, you’re looking at 6 schollie guards right there, not counting BJ. If BJ returns, we should be a top 2/3 program in league next year on pure guard play. MM & BJ, and then perhaps AP breaks right and/or SC takes a big step and you’re pretty solid in backcourt…now I know number 3 ain’t walking back through these doors, but that’d still be a solid guard nucleus, something you could win with if you had a stud frontcourt(See bucknell). If BJ walks, it obviously opens up 30 minutes a night for folks to fill in, but I’d argue we’d still be decent at guard play and perhaps we get lucky and AP blows up out of the gate.

Now looking at frontcourt we had 4 guys this year on schollie that were “bigs” in CB/JG/HG/GK/ Now HG/GK both graduate, and CB hasn’t shown much to this point I think we can all agree. So next year you got JG who flashes in spots and oozes upside, and then the 3 newbies coming in in JC/SW/TK. So if you consider CB a bench guy, you got 4 guys to fill out the bigs spots….and ZERO have proven themselves at this level, ZERO. So perhaps we try to get another big, and add to the numbers game and increase odds that we get a few to break right. Finding bigs at thsi level is hard, we all know that, so you got to take some shots/flyers, and that is why I’m thinking you take a shot at going big again with last spot.

I think we can wait on PG until class of ’14, and have this newbie and CS be the pg combo for following year. We went right from Hall to MM, got lucky there, but CS is nice stop gap for a year if the ’14 pg doesn’t work out,a nd then you get another one in ’15 to try to unseat the ’14 kid if he stinks.

Just food for thought, not married to it, but it was what I spent some time in the car last night thinking about while driving.

LUHoops00

TMH
    Participant

Just on a lark, I went back to the 2004-2005 roster. There were 17 guys on the roster.  Isn’t there an NCAA limit to roster size? Could we have had 5 walk-ons on the team? What exactly is a preferred walk on and can work his way into a scholarship?

TMH
    Participant

LU65
    Participant

TMH re: Roster Size

I quote from page 88 of the 2012-13 Patriot League Policy & Procedure Manual……”Travel squad sizes shall be limited to fifteen (15) participants for visiting teams during the regular-season and all teams during the Patriot League Championship. There are no squad size limitations for the home institution in regular-season competition only.”

LU65
    Participant

TMH

Preferred Walk-on

There’s a fair amount written on the subject. Here’s a quick summary of what one source (recruiting-101.com) has to say……. When a coach says that they want to offer you a preferred walk on spot, they are saying that they will eventually have a spot for you on the roster when school gets underway in the fall. You have been given the green light to at least be on the team during the first year and be a part of practice. A walk on is in a much tougher situation. Colleges even at the Division I level in football have tryouts to see if you can make the team. If you are a walk on, you will be going to those tryouts to see if you are good enough to practice with the big boys throughout the entire year. You basically have a tryout to be able to be a preferred walk on.

http://recruiting-101.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-walk-on-and-a-preferred-walk-on-during-the-overall-athletic-recruiting-process/

I see no reason why a “preferred walk-on” couldn’t work his way up to a scholarship.

TMH
    Participant

As always LU65..thank you for the information.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Here is a link to the stats from that year, and only 13 guys ended up playing:

http://www.lehighsports.com/assets/1/sports/mbball/2004-05%20Lehigh%20Men's%20Basketball%20Statistics.pdf

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Following up on one of the above posts, the NCAA has no roster limits whatsoever.    The only restrictions for PL teams are the ones mentioned that apply only to league games.    Army has dressed as many as 24 players for home games.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

However, when you look at team next year your wild card is definitely the front court as opposed to back court. Now I like the guys we’re bringing in, confident 2 of 3 bigs break right, but look at the below…our guard play is more certain/known commodity than our frontcourt….

Hey hoops, I love your theorizing on where things are heading. Here is my two cents. We will have brought in 4 frontcourt guys in the last two classes. JG who showed solid flashes, JC who the staff has been watching for the past year even if we haven’t, Kempton who had a monster senior year, and Whitfield. At the wing spots we have Carter who was relatively unimpressive and will be coming off major injury, and Price, who many of us are high on but is totally unproven. And no point guard at all. So, if I’m looking at this sitatuion I see a bigger need in the backcourt. I’m more comfortable with the bigs I just mentioned than with just Price and Carter in the backcourt. Obviously if there is a steal of a big man, go for it.

My other thought is long term. Schaefer has shown the ability to score, and he and MM were on the court for decent stretches together this season. If Schaefer continues in a combo guard role for the next two seasons, I think it makes sense to bring in another pure point this class. That player can learn behind MM and CS as a freshman, then back-up/play with CS as a soph, and then have the job as an upperclassman. Lastly, at this level you need a good point guard (unless you have Mike Muscala) and I would rather bring one in every other year rather than skip 2 years, just to have better odds of finding a good PL level point guard. As you mentioned, LU has lucked out with Hall and MM over the past 7 years, but many PL teams have not been so lucky. I say bring in a point and you will have a full starting 5 of upperclassmen when the JG class are seniors.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.