Cole Renninger

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Cole Renninger

This topic contains 80 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Bison137 Bison137 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up. The game is too far for me but please keep us informed.
    In an earlier post, you gave a very honest assessment of Cole’s strengths and weaknesses. The good news is that Lehigh’s biggest need on paper at least is a pure scorer, especailly one who has the ability to get in the paint. The bad news is that Coach Reed puts a high premium on defense and ball control. That is by no means a problem, just a challenge.
    A long time ago, former Lehigh great Mike Polaha told me that in order to improve his handle, he would put obstacles up in his basement then dribble around them…in the dark. The ball became almost an extension of his hand and he learned how to anticipate that which he could not see. In fact, darkness seemed to be the answer for perhaps the best female foul shooter I ever saw. Besides taking 500-1,000 foul shot/day, she would shoot many of them blindfolded. At some point, muscle memory took over.
    Lehigh plays a lot of man defense. Cole was a defensive back in football with a lot of athleticism. It will only take the willpower to bridge that gap.
    Again, very much looking forward to watching his career at Lehigh.

jrenning
    Participant

Thanks for the tips I will certainly pass the info on to Cole which I am sure he will take advantage of he is not afraid to work.

jrenning
    Participant

Cole voted 2nd team 4A all-state. Pretty impressive list of players on PA all-state team.

TMH
    Participant

norcalfan
    Participant

Yes, welcome to LU. What a great institution. We learned of LU when two players from Archbishop Mitty landed scholarships at Bucknell and Lehigh. Both have graduated and as far as I know are employed and remain on the east coast. Your son will be a great addition. LU needs a defensive unit to match up with the others teams. Congrats on his latest honor.

avgrenn
    Participant

Watched Cole Renninger completely take over PA vs. MD all-star game played at East Pennsboro High School April 13th.  Renninger hit three with 4 seconds on clock to send game into OT, then PA put the ball in his hands tied in OT with 6.5 seconds left. Drove the length of the court and made sweet dish to low block for winning layup. Renninger finished with 11pts, 12assists, 3 stls, and six boards. Huge steal coming all the way from behind with PA down two under 30 seconds left in OT. The game had at least two other players committed to the Partriot League and a number of PA all-state players. You can view results and game roster at http://www.pahoops.org.

TMH
    Participant

Had trouble finding the article but I’m brain dead. Here is the direct link.

http://www.pahoops.org/2013_roundball.htm

Congratulations to Cole on a well rounded game. Looking forward to seeing him bring it on next year too.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Avgrenn, good recap, thanks. Any particulars on his game you can share? Did he seem more like a 1 than a 2? Was the speed/athleticism we’ve heard about readily apparent in an all star type event? How did the two HC recruits look in Alexander and Husek?

avgrenn
    Participant

Cole looked to be a possible 1 or 2. He is a tremendous passer and really sees the floor well. He has the ability to guard a one and is physical enough to even guard a 3. He completely frustrated the MD point guard and banged with the bigs to haul in 6 rebounds.  His speed and athleticism are not a question. During pre-game Cole was easily going off two feet with some highlight film dunks. His speed up and down the court was also very apparent. I also found out after speaking with his coach  at the game that Cole decided to run track this year and in his first ever competitive event broke the school’s record in the 100 and 200.  10.8 something in 100 and 22 something in 200.  I don’t see athleticism ever being an issue. To be honest I cannot believe this kid is not a full scholarship player.

The Husek kid is a legit 6’11. He has a very soft touch and stepped out and hit two threes in the game. He is not afraid to be physical but has a long way to go on his post game. He did not look very comfortable with his back to the basket and is a little slow of foot. His lack of athleticism was apparent on the defensive end but his length is tremendous. He has the potential to be a very good player in the future but I don’t see him dominating like Muscala at any point in his career. I am not an expert so I could be wrong on all accounts but this is my opinion.

The Alexander kid is extremely explosive and looks like he can be a star in PL. Physical athletic and versatile. Has the ability to run the floor shoot and handle. Will be surprised if he does not start or contribute significantly as a freshman. I really like this kids game. Took smart shots moved well without the ball and played on the defensive end. This speaks to his competitiveness as most kids don’t defend in an all-star setting. HC got a really good player.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Thanks Avgreen, great recap. Cole sounds like a steal, leading scorer in the state who is a plus athlete, I’ll take that all day long.

norcalfan
    Participant

Looking forward to him bringing his A game.

lehigh90
    Participant

This has to be some kind of a record, 71, now 72 posts for a walk-on player.  I’m looking forward to seeing him.  In the limited video I saw, he has tremendous court vision and great athleticism.  Those are 2 things you can’t teach.  Hopefully, he contributes next year.  Kid looks like a baller.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Fan favorite before he even steps on the court ’90, IN COLE WE TRUST! Yes, really excited to see Cole next year, and all the newcomers for that matter. There is something exciting about the unknown, that much is for sure, and there are a lot of unknowns for the brown and white next year, which is probably why we’re all starving for games in ApriL!

avgrenn
    Participant

TMH
    Participant

Thank you for the article.
    There has been a bit of discussion about how much chatter there has been on here recently about Cole.
    I am not going to make a projection here but the comparison is intriguing.
    Four years ago we signed a combo guard from Ohio who for some unknown reason generated very little recruiting interest even though he was the leading scorer in the state of Ohio.
    So let’s compare Glen Oaks CJ McCollum with Central Line Mountain Mountain’s Cole Renninger
    Both will enter Lehigh at 6 ft 3″
    PPG   CJ 29.3      CR 27.2
    Reb   CJ  7.8        CR   8.3
    Ast    CJ  2.5        CR   4.3
    Stls   CJ  3.0         CR  4.7
    Sh % CJ 50.7       CR 54%
    3 %   CJ 40%        CR 39%
    FT% CJ 85.7%    CR 52%  (This absolutely needs to improve)
    Both CJ and CR were known as slashers with the the ability to hit the outside shot. I believe that basketball was CJ’s only sport in HS while CR also played and succeeded in football and now runs track. I have always felt that there is more upside potential for those now concentrating on one sport for the first time.
    Am I saying that this is the next CJ? Absolutely not. I think he has a ton of athleticism and that on the level he has played at, he has the ability to do wonderful things on the basketball court.I also believe with the right amount of self-discipline and determination to improve his skills, he has the ability to do some significant things at Lehigh too. After that, the sky is the limit.
    Just one man’s opinion :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.