Colgate – Game 1

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Colgate – Game 1

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant
      Game Notes

Colgate

http://gocolgateraiders.com/documents/2014/12/30//MBB_Game_Notes_vs_Lehigh_FINAL.pdf?id=3742

Lehigh

We await

On the eve of PL play, I thought it would be wise to look at League rankings from a number of sources but ranked in KenPom order. Here goes:

Team / KenPom / Sagarin / RPI

Lafayette / 141 / 128 / 66
    American / 143 / 127 / 86
    Army / 170 / 133 / 163
    Lehigh / 185 / 161 / 155
    Colgate / 209 / 214 / 209
    Holy Cross / 214 / 204 / 133
    Bucknell / 239 / 248 / 218
    Boston U. / 249 / 227 / 209
    Loyola / 309 / 295 / 216
    Navy / 321 / 323 / 308

lehigh90
    Participant

Kind of surprised Army is not higher in these ratings. They are actually receiving votes in the latest polls.

LU65
    Participant

Agree with you, 90. If I weren’t headed out to Bethlehem tomorrow, I’d be up at the Point. What a fun game it promises to be with “team” league leaders in Scoring, FG% and Assists going up against each other. That, plus the game will feature four (2 from each team) of the PL’s Top 7 in scoring: Wilson and Plomb from Army together with Trist and Hinrichs from Lafayette.

LU65
    Participant

Our Game Notes are up!

http://www.lehighsports.com/custompages/Game%20Notes/Men%27s%20Basketball/2014-15/12%20-%20Colgate%20Notes%2012.31.14.pdf

Sagarin, who grants the

home team

an additional four rating points in predicting the outcome of each game, calls for……

Lehigh

to beat Colgate by 7

Holy Cross

to beat Boston U. by 5
    American to beat

Bucknell

by 4

Army

to beat Lafayette by 4

Navy

to beat Loyola by 1

That said, I have to wonder if Jeff Sagarin has seen us play at home this year.

LU65
    Participant

Hopefully a cleaner version of the above post….

Lehigh to beat Colgate by 7
    Holy Cross to beat Boston U. by 5
    American to beat Bucknell by 4
    Army to beat Lafayette by 4
    Navy to beat Loyola by 1

That said, I have to wonder if Jeff Sagarin has seen us play at home this year.

LU65
    Participant

This one won’t be easy

 Just 10 months ago – March 1st, 2014 – Colgate embarrassed us at Stabler 74-57.

 A challenge on “D” perhaps. I’m most anxious to see how we guard Colgate’s Ethan Jacobs. Number 53 stands 6’11” and second on the team in 3pt. attempts! Luckily, he connects on just slightly over 31% of his tries. And, then there’s Rob Luke. The guard stands 6’4” and hasn’t attempted a three this year but leads the team in rebounds @ 6.3 per game. Weird, right? The Jacobs/Luke combo combined for 42 pts. (17 of 32 attempts) and 28 boards in the two outings against Lehigh last year.

 Expect to see an experienced group of Raiders at the opening tip with 3 seniors and 2 juniors make their way to center court. Each member can be expected to log 27+ minutes.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well we showed up finally in the last 5 minutes. Flat,sloppy performance up til then.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

According to stat sheet we should have won this game easily. Of course we forgot to play D for long stretches and never did stop Gate C from scoring at will. Off this game,we could play 500 ball going 1-1 with everybody. Thank God for WBB.

van
    van
    Participant

Team played great for first 10 minutes, then can’t make a layup for next 20. Then Gate goes stupid and lets our guys get a wiff. Talent is there but ofter negated by inexperience.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Upside Tim didn’t foul out,downside Gate C scored 24 pts. At our best we can win every game. Today we got perhaps 15 minutes.smh

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote: “Expect to see an experienced group of Raiders at the opening tip with 3 seniors and 2 juniors make their way to center court. Each member can be expected to log 27+ minutes.”

Colgate actually is even more experienced than this. They start four seniors plus a 4th-year junior. And their top bench player, Pat Moore – who would start if healthy – is a 5th year senior. Based on their top six, they are the most experienced team in PL history.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks 137.A Small comfort. Their experience certainly showed our lack of it. Still should have won tho. Gate edge there no excuse for us to dissolve for all but 15 mins of game.

LU65
    Participant

What can we expect out of the PL this year? If Game 1 is your guide, expect the unexpected and 10 teams tied at 9 and 9 when it’s all over. What should have happened – at least according to Sagarin’s Ratings – and what did happen yesterday follows:

Colgate beat Lehigh by 7 / Lehigh was expected to win by 7

Lafayette beat Army by 14 / Army was expected to win by 4

Bucknell beat American by 4 / American was expected to win by 4

Boston U. beat Holy Cross by 3 / Holy Cross was expected to win by 5

Navy beat Loyola by 23 / Navy was expected to win by 1

As feared, looking back at an earlier post, we had no answer for Ethan Jacobs, CU’s 6’11” forward who likes to take three-point shots. This time he happened to hit 4 out of 4, to go along with his 5 for 5 from inside the arc, and was clearly the hero of the day. As for our 3-point defense, it had been a Top 100 performer. Not any more it isn’t. We allowed both UMBC and Colgate to hit 10 of 20 from deep in out last two outings.

And, forget about home court advantage. We now sit 2 and 3 with one of those W’s coming against someone called Penn State (Mont Alto). Too bad, as for a change we played before over 1200 fans yesterday or about twice the normal number of people to make it out to Stabler.

Besides not defending the “3” yesterday, we could not shoot the ball either. And, I mean from in close! Our starting five hit 14 of 36 (.389 FG%) from close-in, “led” by TK’s 6 of 16 (.375 FG%). Take away sub Brandon Alston’s superior 5 for 7 effort, you’re looking at a team that connected on just 34.5% of its shots. Don’t get me wrong, I like TK and his potential to lead us. But after 43 D-1 contests, I’m now looking for more. Our “big,” and perhaps our “go-to,” guy, can’t be shooting .434 (all from in close) and failing to bust the .500 barrier in 10 of his 12 games played this year. The other “go-to” guy many of us look to, Austin Price – now in his second year with 44 D-1 games played – can’t be giving us 19 of 57 (.333 FG%) in his last seven. Yes, there’s work to be done on the offensive side of the ball, as well.

Boston U. and a chance to redeem ourselves can’t come quick enough.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Since doc lives and dies with shooting % over rebounding,crucial that we shoot better. It wasn’t Gate D that caused shooting woes. Clear we hit we win. This squad presently has no other option. Stat sheet looks great but a L anyway.

LU15
    Participant

One thing to look forward to, Jacobs is on Colgate is just like our recruit next year Caleb Sedore, a 6-11 guy who can also shoot the 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.