Colgate

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Colgate

This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 14 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

Yes, we’re 2-0 and tied for 1st place in the PL. That’s exactly where many of us expected us to be at the start of the season when GU and BU were announced as first up on our schedule. How we got here is truly another story. It wasn’t pretty but here we are nevertheless – a team in control of its own destiny.

Let’s get this thread started with a look at the postmortem comments from the Crusader and ‘Gate boards as their fans dissect their teams’ performances in yesterday’s game. While our coaches have game films to look at, most of us have only these first-hand observations. I contend there’s much to be learned.

http://www.voy.com/90032/23398.html

http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php … id=2127926

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Been readin them all AM.
    I was surprised that Gate could not run on HC. HC packed the box but Sullivan could not consistently move team by pass. He runs better.
    Even with injuries we can force Gate to pass I hope. our d backfield very good. Must have someone key on qb as he runs very well.
    Gate got no pressure on Randolph. AS has been said all year HC has best OL. Ours not so much yet. We dont have a Randolph nor the wildcat anymore. Gate D solid but we can pass on them but must get some yardage from rbs.Gate front 7 very solid. HC wrs are OK , ours are at least as good. Clark must play w/inhimself. Roll him out he seems to like it.

Most important , whoever was calling plays this week,should do the same next.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Barket named PL RPOW for Bucknell game.

Any update on Colvin?

The-Last-Engineer
    Participant

The word from the sidelines at the game was that Colvin broke both the tibia and fibula. He was in a lot of pain and the air cast was brought out immediately. If the early diagnosis was right, I would not expect him back this season. He certainly might be affected by this well into next season as well.

The combo of Barket (a little shifty, runs tough after contact) and Walker (hits the line very hard) along with a healthy Campbell (bounce and speed) is plenty good enough to move the ball on the ground the rest of the year. While the loss of Colvin is bad, the resulting re-focus on a conventional running attack might prove very beneficial going forward.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Tough for Colvin. Unlikely to be ready for Spring, but s/b OK for Camp.

If we can keep Campbell, Barket and Walker all healthy running game will be better. Gate strength is front 7.
    STs are not Gate’s strength. We may be able to get some really decent returns.

Gate O Eachus, McCord, Simonds and Sullivan. As someone posted on AGS , pack the box and double Simonds. If effective on slowing their backs , Sullivan not enuf by himself to carry O. Of course, that is easier said than done.

With D at full strength, I would think we could keep Gate under wraps. Harder with so many sophs.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Game notes up, Few changes Campbell starting . Flizack off 2 deep Rivas back on. We get younger every week.

Interesting for those thinking we will get blown away. Our comon opponents GU and Princeton , games and stats fairly equal it took OT for them to beat Tigers.
    Lets see if Offense can show up2 games in a row and against a better team

JJH
    Participant

I make it about 21-7 ‘Gate. Not a blowout, and if we can create a couple of key turnovers it could be closer. JJH

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Gate gamesoflate have been wars. I expect nothing less this week. Can we avoid mistakes? Get some TOs. Must slow down running game, force Sullivan to rely on pass. W/o run threat Gate O very pedestrian. Sullivan an excellent qb , good runner and a fair passer. Pretty accurate but not much of an arm. Simonds star wideout 6’6" .

Gate has a good OL blitz nice but dangerous with Gate as he runs well. Need pressure from Dline and 1 LB at most Hopefully coaches are screaming gap. gap gap at kids. Fill the lanes, and gaps. Contain outside. They’ve done well so far.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

A victory is totally dependent on the Defense holding Colgate under 21 points. I think it can be done with the primary focus on shutting down the run and good penetration to pressure the QB. Our secondary is pretty good, and a couple hurried throws can be INTs and with luck returned for TDs. Being up at least +2 on turnovers would seem to be essential.

We need to establish a run game of our own if we expect to have success in the air. Being able to get the ‘gate defense to honor the run on the play-action pass is very important. Clark showed last week that, with time, he can get the ball there. Of course, weather can be, and usually is, a factor in Hamilton. Especially the wind, which leaves us keeping fingers crossed on an unstable kicking game. Will it be Randazza or Peery? Are they having a ‘kick off’ this week? To me, the immediate trajectory of the kicks is the key, but accuracy is also important. Peery has shown a very strong leg, but is he ready for a prime time performance?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Guess Peery as he is listed as K

LU65
    Participant

Never say die and reasons for hope would include:

The return of LB Colin Newton (29 tackles and 2.5 sacks on the season) hurt in last week’s game on the opening kickoff (what was he doing on the squad?) to round out perhaps the best starting LB corp in the PL (Taylor, Cohen, Pierce, and Newton) backed by Green, Groome, Rivas and Shownumi. Newton’s spirited play is infectious and one of the reasons LU ranks 3rd in the nation pass defense and 4th in sacks. Cohen may be a co-captain on the team but Newton is the lightening rod on defense.

The return of RB Jay Campbell (4.6 yds/carry and 47.2 yds/game) to augment the efforts of Jaren Walker (3.1 yds/carry and 20.8 yds/game) and Jach Barket (4.0 yds/carry and 24.8 yds/game). A fresh set of legs and a different style of attack may prove important.

CU’s less than stellar KO coverage unit and the threats posed by Kennedy (27.4 yds/return) and Zurn (23.2 yds/return).

Our ability to shut a team down in the Red Zone (ranked #1 in PL at 55%). CU is ranked 6th @ 75%.

JB Clarke’s new-found confidence in his arm, his improving reads, his many receivers (hit 8 last week), and his legs. While not to be confused with Dom Randolph, the question remains, "Can JB scramble enough (I believe he can) to allude the sack, find a receiver (he now has five averaging over 10 yds/catch), or spring a run of his own ala Dom’s performance last week (18 rushes for 118 yds)?"

Our game plan which one can only hope might closely resemble the one employed by Holy Cross five days ago, i.e., stack the box, keep a watchful eye on their talented go-to WR Simonds, and challenge Sullivan (CU’s QB) to beat you thru the air. Yes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It worked to perfection last weekend as Eachus was limited to 69 yards (3.0 yds/carry), McCord 15 yards (1.7 yds/carry), and Simonds (5 catches for 70 yards). Is our "D" up to the challenge and every bit the "D" of Holy Cross? Maybe , maybe not. The stats say we are when it comes to Opponent 3rd or 4th down conversions, Pass Defense, and Pass Defense Eff., but not overall Rushing Defense. There’s the rub. Can we somehow limit the effectiveness of Eachus and McCord and slash the ‘Gate’s league leading 36.33 minute time of possession rate to something like 30 minutes? Yes, we’ve got a 50/50 chance to to leave town a winner; no, it’ll be a long ride home.

For those that believe in such things, Sagarin ranks us as the 220th best team in D-I football (245 teams competing); Colgate is #161. The FCS Gridiron Power Index shows Lehigh as # 94 and Colgate as # 38 when it comes to the 125 teams competing in the FCS.

PS Sagarin has us as a 17 point underdog. I’d take the points.

JJH
    Participant

Well, I said 21-7, which is 14 points. Add three for home field advantage, so Savarin looks about right.
    I’m far from convinced about the offense, even with the return of Campbell. If we can establish some kind of running game, that would be helpful. So far we’ve failed to do that except against Georgetown and Bucknell.
    Yes, Clark looked better last week, but he has a history of inconsistency. Can he go two weeks in a row without multiple interceptions?
    If Colgate keeps the ball for 36 minutes, Our D is going to feel the pressure, and the game might get out of control in the fourth quarter.
    Thank goodness for Channel 69! JJH

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Weather forecast for Hamilton is downright dreary. Mid-50’s and non-stop rain. Windy in the a.m. that may slow down in the afternoon. Prime conditions for turnovers and crazy stuff.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.