Columbia – Game 4

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Columbia – Game 4

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by StablerBum StablerBum 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

gohawks63
    Participant

I agree with you ’65 – that Corey could be featured more off of screens – the way we used to with CJ; but, I’ve noted several instances where Corey allowed the defense to rotate and chase him off of an open three, then checked down to a mid-range two, and STILL pass off at the last moment.

It is as if he feels his primary role is to distribute. Corey has hit an awful lot of tough shots in his career – many at critical times in games. Too many, in fact, for him to now take a back-seat to wet-behind-the-ears Freshmen ..

I guess that Summer internship really did put him behind …

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I think it is really an aggressiveness/mentality thing for Corey. He’s passing up shots. Corey is a worker and I find it hard to believe he wasn’t doing a ton on his own to be ready for the season regardless of his other summer obligations. The way this team is shooting the ball and with the consistency he has showed over the course of his career, he needs to let it fly.

Want to know what is crazy? As bad as Lehigh has shot this year, they are actually outshooting their opponents 41% to 39%! Not only that, but despite shooting only 28% from 3, again Lehigh is outshooting their competition which checks in at 26%. Turnovers and putting opponents on the free throw line are the two largest areas of statistical discrepancy between Lehigh and their four opponents thus far.

lehigh90
    Participant

Bum, I’d be fine with JC as a first big off the bench. I would like to see JG get more of a chance. I think he can do a lot of the smaller intangible things you need to be successful (defend in the post, alter/block shots, rebound). He also can run the court pretty well, and be active on the offensive glass. We have plenty of scoring out there without JC in the first 5. JC gives you a little scoring and not a lot else.

Maybe this starting 5:

KR
    AP
    BA
    JG
    TK

With JC as first big and CS as first guard.

Perhaps, Reed likes JG as first big man as he can play the 4 and the 5, and guard those 2 spots. Maybe he doesn’t think JC can guard the 5?

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

If people at this school want to see a national caliber team, go over the Grace Hall and see some All-Americans in the making. A young team, still, with a number of blue chip freshman starting. Currently ranked #11 in country before annilating a good Columbia team on Friday night in NYC. Next home matches are December 6 & 7 versus perennial antagonist, Penn, and then Rider. Both matches at 2 p.m. If this team stays healthy, a run into the Top 3 at MSG in 2016 is realistic.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I also like the ability for JG and TK to combine for a little high-low post action. TK is comfortable catching in the foul line area and JG can still post on the block. Or JG can stay on the block and Tim can float out to the short corner for that 14-17 foot baseline jumper. I think the JG/TK set-up also allows for more space on the perimeter for the guards. As far as JC guarding the 5, if he starts or comes off the bench he will have either JG or TK at the 5 spot, so I’m not sure that is a concern.

It would be really interesting to see the +/- numbers for various line-up combos.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.