Cornell game notes

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Cornell game notes

This topic contains 31 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Hahaha, see we posted same basic thoughts at the same time. I think with limits on available money,O slots are emphasized much more. I scouted NJ with Kevin for years. Bis complaint even then was even if we found a stud DT,if he was high need ,the answer was usually no as the money neede for an O player. Needd to dig out best D kids with lowest need. Not much different now. The frosh class and a few more in soph look to be full rides,hence potentially better.

holyloch61
    Participant

I for one do not know what some of you guys are smoking or drinking ,or maybe you are looking at the Lehigh football team through rose colored glass’s .Lehigh defense ranks 121st out of 121 .There is no team worse than Lehigh !!! To not at least try different guys is just dumb .If they were good enough to recruit give them a chance to at least try to help out on D .Some high school’s have bigger defensive linemen and linebackers than Lehigh has as starters .How many scoring plays of 50 yards and over has the D given up this year ,through 5 games .I also agree to some of the comments that this started with last years team .Who also gave up a lot of points. You can not win many games when you are always putting the O under pressure to score and try to keep up with the other team scoring almost at will against a weak D

LehighGuy
    Participant

Why does everyone keep saying I want a whole frosh squad on D. I said the best players. For one in practice #14(JR…CB) looks real fast and has TIGHT coverage. How he doesnt see the field other than SP is beyond me. Also like #22 (frosh..Safety), another SP teams player. Glad Cavenas is getting a little PT. But cant they “sprinkle” these kids in the rotation? Also like McCain at the LB spot. Nice size and fast. Ive been calling for gamechangers with the KR and PR guys. #80 and #25 come to mind back there. I’ll give Leaks the benefit because hes young and learning. But what about the Jr and Srs back there that are vets? As the comment about the coaches being paid to evaluate the talent on D, I dont they will be getting paid next yr by Lehigh. Just baffles me that everyone thinks results will be different on D with the same players. If Cornell puts up 30 points and we lose I wonder how you guys will feel. Will that be the last straw? Agree with comments on O. All the best skilled guys on O are frosh and soph. They got they chance and seized the opportunity. I think the same would happen on D.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by  LehighGuy.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Now that was well said. Wish you had gone that way first. Driving now but a lot of what you have posted poses questions we all have. Ne bavk in an hour.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

IMO, Lawson is a very good civer corner. In that class,he and Phillips were to me the best. Rigaud has grown into the postion. Randy not nearly as fast as Leaks. He would have had problems covering Carter but unlikely he would have gotten toasted as badly.Leaks’ upside is,however much.higher.
    Coffman and MCain likely to be all PL ILBs.Hobbie probably best athlete. Does not mean he is best ILB yet.Likewise Jones will be superb CB. That he is on 2 deep already. At S,admit to some confusion. Suggs showing his inexperience getting caught out of position Lambert is fine. As FS ,his issues seem to arise more out of mistakes being made at othdr spots. Barrett and Siegenthaler should both be in the rotation. Cavenas working his way up. Kind of impressed that he is adapting as fast as he is.
    To me Johnson has the biggest upside,also perhaps the steepest learning curve. How often do we get a DL that runs a 4.6/40.

Doc Qb
    Participant

Two comments. One, Dline is the toughest position to recruit at our level. Just not enough big guys with feet around 270 plus pound range. That is why “just move over one of the 300 Olineman’ strategy, also mentioned on this board, will fail. Different skill sets. This has been a problem for us for decades.

Second, someone also mentioned we we should beat Cornell handily, as they played “weaker” competition. Nope. Right now we ARE one of those weaker teams. And it was mentioned they played weaker teams to the tune of 0-4. Wrong again. They lost to Colgate (who will beat us), Yale (who did), Bucknell (who just did), and Harvard (who would).

We have are work cut out for us each week, but if we can manage to limit mistakes, play a complete game, we really could look a whole lot better. Just to many WTF moments.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Doc right about Cornell competition ( my oops).Going over Cornell has been unable vs any to present an O. Statistically our D the worst in FCS. Little consolation that we faced tough teams.That said we were in every game but UNH. Manhandled at many times in these games but from the box scores our biggest single issue is big plays in these games. Red zone D has not been as bad. If we can learn to avert some of these we can win. Hopefully this week.

Buddy
    Participant

TMH,
    I agree, as I mentioned before I watched both Crawford & Kauffman play in High School, both very good defensive players. Heard Crawford turned down other offers to play linebacker to play fullback at Lehigh primarily for the Lehigh academics.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Both are but also excellent RBs,Crasford particularly. He did have a bunch of offers,dont recall at what postion. Kauffman no slouch either. Best to offense.

Miller
    Participant

Did the change in coaches hurt our recruiting last season? Always look at the patsy ratings, and usually that becomes a joke by the 4th year of that class. Coach K and even Sanders when they were here did a great job recruiting on the D. Who is our go to coach to get a player we need? Any thoughts?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Recruiting was clise to done by then .IMO,the frosh class a definite step up from soph class overall and certainly not worse on D.
    DL,for example, Stubbs has made it. Mitchell has gotten some PT.Smith .the headliner not yet. This year Gille,Johnson and Cavenas much larger and with more upside.
    Jones already on 2 deep.
    Whether new D assts are capable coaches of not,I belive the central problem is poor tecnique and failing assigned roles. Fix those and D may be addquate enuf. Do think once the schollie players are upperclassmen the D could ne very good with proper coaching.
    Whatever the future brings,lets beat Cornell first.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I, too, like the idea of giving Lawson, some of the top freshman DBs PT. I was impressed when I saw Lawson in practice. Bottom line: Playing CB, especially, is not rocket science.

Remember, thanks to NCAA rules, you can get beaten deep, interfere and it’s only a 15-yard penalty. It pays to play tight/press coverage.

New guys can’t do any worse, right?

Buddy
    Participant

Don’t expect any changes this week to the lineup? Don’t think the coaches have a clue and Cornell will rack up 400+ yards on offense. I do think we will win however to a very inferior team. I used to an optimist but its getting hard with the same ole. This team has gamechangers but until we use them in the right spots I think this is going to be a very long season.

Miller
    Participant

Buddy, just like LG did, explain your post. Who and where do you think changes should be made?
    p.s. It is already a long season, but we will survive and move on.

Buddy
    Participant

Miller,
    After more thought your right, really cant blame or point the finger at anyone or any coach, just plagued with injuries. Just hope we are healthy for Lafayette. It would be nice however if we saw something or someone different on the field. I don’t have the answer. Just have to keep pushing forward. GO HAWKS!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.